NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Show us your set up in action at night.

Peco4321

7 hours ago, George Sinanis said:

I miss a clear night like this…..

with my old mount, which has been absolutely fantastic. You do not get every day PE of 0.34!
Cannot wait to setup my new EQ6R over the forthcoming weeks and start imaging again.

I'm waiting to see what you can produce with your new mount too, and what I can get with your old mount. The day I bought it had the clearest night I'd seen in weeks, and then nothing nothing clear enough since. It has given me time to check it works with Astroberry though, which is another step in my imaging plans

• 2 weeks later...

My 200mm F/6.16 Dobsonian in the middle, flanked by the Lybar chair, with my 90x600mm refractor on the pipe mount at right.

On the left is the 203mm F/5 Dobsonian of my friend Armand.

The three telescopes are home-made with commercial optics.

Picture taken on September 8, 2018 at a site ouside our city of Arad, Romania.

Mircea

DSCN6866 - Noaptea dobsonienelor.JPG

• Like 17

4 hours ago, badhex said:

Debatable if this counts as night time but it's a nice shot. 

Your dusk shot badhex (i automatically assume dusk not sunrise) gives me permission to post this 🙂

TBF i had arrived on site a bit early...

475BDA10-26F4-4938-9DED-1634374D30B7.jpeg

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, josefk said:

Your dusk shot badhex (i automatically assume dusk not sunrise) gives me permission to post this 🙂

Now then, we could start a whole new thread of scopes and Land Rovers. Nice one by the way, Blindos or Terrafirmas? Sorry for the OT, as you were......

1 hour ago, josefk said:

Nice roofrack. I'm after something like that for my 110. 

Graeme

1 hour ago, josefk said:

It was actually sunrise 🙂 I was out trying to catch lunar eclipse, but sadly it sunk below the buildings fifteen minutes before the eclipse proper (umbra) began. Did manage to see Saturn, Jupiter and Venus though, and take a few beauty shots in the sunrise. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, josefk said:

Hi,

Could you tell us, where is that place?

Thanks.

hi @Vroobel it's Fineshade Woods here: https://gostargazing.co.uk/events/locations/fineshade-wood-forestry-england/

I'm super lucky - it's no more than 15 minutes from my house and i've discovered its easier to pack the Landy and drive here than it is to carry everything on foot to "my other favourite spot" Burghley House park. I live in a town apartment so it always needs to be one or the other. 

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, both sites are not close from Liverpool. I try to experience with filters while I improve my ATM mount and learn the Astroberry, but in the meantime I am looking for a semi-rural land open for public. I already know about the Formby area, which is 30-40 minutes driving from my home. Do you know another one in 1h driving area?

Edited by Vroobel

Hi @Vroobel. I'm afraid i don't know the Liverpool area but if you put your postcode in here you may get a few candidates: https://gostargazing.co.uk/stargazing-event-search/

This is another useful resource to find dark skies "in general" but it doesn't suggest specific sites i'm afraid. https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=8.13&lat=53.6235&lon=-2.7489&layers=B0FFFFFFFTFFFFFFFFFFF

Good luck

1 hour ago, josefk said:

Hi @Vroobel. I'm afraid i don't know the Liverpool area but if you put your postcode in here you may get a few candidates: https://gostargazing.co.uk/stargazing-event-search/

This is another useful resource to find dark skies "in general" but it doesn't suggest specific sites i'm afraid. https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=8.13&lat=53.6235&lon=-2.7489&layers=B0FFFFFFFTFFFFFFFFFFF

Good luck

I know the second one. 

In the first one I typed my post code and got... my post code as result. 

Thanks anyway. 

7 minutes ago, Vroobel said:

In the first one I typed my post code and got... my post code as result. 

indeed - click that then (click your postcode it returns to you) and it opens up a list of suggested sites in the surrounding area...

• Thanks 1

On 16/05/2022 at 13:19, Vroobel said:

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, both sites are not close from Liverpool. I try to experience with filters while I improve my ATM mount and learn the Astroberry, but in the meantime I am looking for a semi-rural land open for public. I already know about the Formby area, which is 30-40 minutes driving from my home. Do you know another one in 1h driving area?

Last year I wrote to the below nature reserve and was granted permission to observe after hours. It is not a dark site, however the reserve is used for occasional public stargazing events. As dark as it gets within an hour of driving north from Liverpool.

Unfortunately I still haven't managed to get there... 🙄

https://www.lancswt.org.uk/nature-reserves/mere-sands-wood-nature-reserve

The Peak District is only about 1hr 20mins drive on a good day and likewise, areas of Cheshire & North Wales.

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Vroobel said:

Thank you, I appretiate it as well.

Is the permission given to all astronomers amateurs, or personally to you?

Just me by arrangement. If I go they requested I call during the day to let them know. Write them an email explaining who you are and what you would like to do. That you're obviously used to the out doors and respectful of wildlife etc etc. I received a very nice reply so unless something has changed you should be fine.

• Thanks 1