NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Worm drive lubrication.

Just inspected worm drives on my EQ5 mount and they look as if they need lubrication because they are bone dry. Can someone please suggest what type of grease I should use. I have looked on SGL and other sites and there are many suggestions, people can't seem to agree on what's good and what's not. Can someone recommend a suitable lubricant?

I think the only thing everyone does agree on is that the grease Synta use when assembling their mounts is just about the worst of them all :rolleyes2:

others will chime in with better recommendations than I could give you. 

I did a little research some time ago about the best grease to use. From what I could gather lots of people seem to use Super Lube.

I ordered a tube but have not used it yet so can't comment on how good it is.

Hope this helps a little.

dont know if its good or bad, however I used a silicone grease, I use this at work for gas taps and it sems to work Ok, not sure who makes it but if you know a heating/gas engineer they usually have a tube lying around in their vans, 

You have prompted me to look at the drive shafts of my EQ5!!

Dion, from Astronomy Shed, in one of his videos discussing improvements to the Skywatcher ST80 focuser, recommended Lithium Grease. You can get it from your local bike shop. Worked fine for me. - John  

The type of grease that really works  the best is PTFE based, Like FIN 25 (Interflon) , Slick 50 or any other brand with a high amount of PTFE (Teflon) in it.

Lithium grease separates in hot circumstances, the thin, oily part evaporates and leaves a hard chalky residu... I believe SuperLube is teflon based as well.

1 hour ago, Waldemar said:

The type of grease that really works  the best is PTFE based, Like FIN 25 (Interflon) , Slick 50 or any other brand with a high amount of PTFE (Teflon) in it.

Lithium grease separates in hot circumstances, the thin, oily part evaporates and leaves a hard chalky residu... I believe SuperLube is teflon based as well.

All the times I have been observing, the temperature has been anything but hot. However, that is interesting to know, TF2 I believe is recommended for slow moving parts, so it seems it may not worth using on anything that could generate a lot of heat :)

2 hours ago, glowjet said:

All the times I have been observing, the temperature has been anything but hot. However, that is interesting to know, TF2 I believe is recommended for slow moving parts, so it seems it may not worth using on anything that could generate a lot of heat :)

Hi John, most of the time while observing it is not hot outside, true... but during daytime, when the mount is not used (except for solar) it can get very hot, and the grease is still in there... and gets hot as well!

PTFE is a very modern lubricant and can handle basically all circumstances, but the real magic is in the fact that it consists of microscopic little balls of different sizes, which fill the microscopic imperfections in all surfaces, how ever smooth they look for the eye.
On top of that it has a negative coefficient of friction, which means the higher the pressure between two surfaces, the smoother it works.

In my opinion these are features you would want for your precious mount. In any case..I do!

Waldemar

Hi Waldemar, Thanks for the information,  TF2 Lithium would obviously not any good if you are using your mount for Solar obs or imaging, especially when you take into account what the temperature went up to when Summer arrived a few days back :D

Archived