Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astro Dark is coming!

Stub Mandrel

Last year I spent a night trying to catch Perseids, I now think all but two of my pics are satellites :-( But I remember it as a long, dark night and found that odd given how short and bright recent nights have been.

But now I see astro dark creeping on to the Clear Today pages and I must admit I am amazed at how fast it will increase. On Tuesday there's a little bit, but by Saturday it will be 1 3/4 hours!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't seem to arrive here until Thursday but starting to look good for next weekend. Let's hope astro dark and the absent Moon are accompanied by a lack of clouds :wink:

1 hour ago, Lorne said:

Couple of weeks here, probably 7th-8th August. Just in time to start my season with a Perseid spotting session :)

That would be about the same for here, though if it is going to be clear for this coming weekend, I will take it.

8 minutes ago, scarp15 said:

.... though if it is going to be clear for this coming weekend, I will take it.

Clear? Clear!?! I've forgotten what that looks like.

But I, too, would 'take it'. ???

If you will insist on living so close to the North Pole that you could get there and back on a pogo stick in less than half an hour what do you expect???  :D:evil4::D

At a mere Lat 44 we enjoy a minimum of about 4 hours astronomical darkness (June 21st) and caught about 100 hours' imaging data in the dark fortnight in July.

Honestly, this obsession with perching on a wind-lashed rock in the North Sea takes some explaining.

Mind you, it can be explained in two words. Marston's Pedigree...

Olly

9 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

At a mere Lat 44 we enjoy a minimum of about 4 hours astronomical darkness (June 21st) and caught about 100 hours' imaging data in the dark fortnight in July.

I think I'll move to France...:icon_arrow::home:

11 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Honestly, this obsession with perching on a wind-lashed rock in the North Sea takes some explaining

I must admit that the older I get the fewer reasons I can come up with for trying to live like a grey seal. I sense a warmer and darker climate in my future :wink:

2 minutes ago, ChrisLX200 said:

Great. Now I get to see dark clouds instead of light ones. As for us all moving south to sunnier climes - I think we just [banned word] that idea :)

ChrisH

I've subtly edited your post in my quote, Chris, so that the mods don't notice :wink:

3 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

If you will insist on living so close to the North Pole that you could get there and back on a pogo stick in less than half an hour what do you expect???  :D:evil4::D

Honestly, this obsession with perching on a wind-lashed rock in the North Sea takes some explaining.

Mind you, it can be explained in two words. Marston's Pedigree...

Olly

Far too many clever comments on your post for me to try and better, Olly.

I was just moaning about the downside ... not enough space or time to tell you about the upsides.

Enjoy your skies. I smile when I can and I deal with the rest.

??

2 hours ago, ChrisLX200 said:

Great. Now I get to see dark clouds instead of light ones. As for us all moving south to sunnier climes - I think we just Brexited that idea :)

ChrisH

Don't mention the Brexit, I did it once but I don't think anybody noticed :grin:

Dave

We have Astro dark here, now.

Except that someone apears to have left the sun on!!!! Might as well have done for all that I can see under the [very banned word] moon...

Never mind. Off on my hols later. Astro dark and no LP. ?????

Paul

Looks like a chance of some clear skies tonight from 11/12pm according to ClearOutside.  Also looks like the last opportunity until at least the end of this week as for the forecast is looking pretty abysmal for the near future... :p

Archived