Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader solar film filter combined w/ Baader H-alpha?

Hi all,

after reading through SGL, i decided to get a full aperture 200mm baader film-based filter for sun observations (and doubling the theoretical observation time! :) ). I was wondering whether combining the solar film for removing all excess energy plus adding a standrad 2" H-Alpha filter would make sense? Or am i missing something? NOTE : NEVER POINT A SCOPE AT THE SUN WITHOUT HAVING MOUNTED AN APPROPRIATE SUN PROTECTION FILTER IT WOULD IMMEDIATELY DESTROY YOUR EYES!

As above, when you look in white light with a baader film filter you look straight through the chromosphere HA layer as it is so faint.

Ha filters are designed mainly as imaging filters for night time objects or sometimes as ERF's along with other filters of course.

A standard, deep-sky oriented H-alpha filter has a pass band of between 3 and 35 nm (or thereabouts). A typical H-alpha filter for solar work has a pass-band of 0.1 nm or less. Mine are 0.07nm, 0.05nm and 0.03nm respectively. Only then can you tune onto that part of the spectrum where the chromosphere absorbs most of the light of the photosphere. You can get filters to attach to your scope (like the DayStar Quark), possibly with a front-mounted energy rejection filter, which blocks most light but passes most H-alpha

I think from the framing of your question you already get this but just to be sure, please do not use a standard Ha filter on its own to view the sun as it is not designed for that purpose and will damage your telescope or your eyes.

3 hours ago, DRT said:

I think from the framing of your question you already get this but just to be sure, please do not use a standard Ha filter on its own to view the sun as it is not designed for that purpose and will damage your telescope or your eyes.

Well... it Would surely and immediately kill both eyes and scope :/ yep i know, but its probably good to mention it in this thread... thanks for stressing this... i added a security advice to my first post.

Rephrase the question:

Would adding a DSO Ha filter behind the Baader Solar Screen improve the view of the Sun in white light??

It is suggested that adding a Continuum filter (green) improves the visual contrast of solar Photospheric features. Other available filters to the amateur have been tried - blue/ green/ red/ LP etc. Depending on the seeing conditions some can give improvements (Red/ Ha) others don't seem to add much detail.

On 7/1/2016 at 11:01, uhb1966 said:

Hi all,

after reading through SGL, i decided to get a full aperture 200mm baader film-based filter for sun observations (and doubling the theoretical observation time! :) ). I was wondering whether combining the solar film for removing all excess energy plus adding a standrad 2" H-Alpha filter would make sense? Or am i missing something? NOTE : NEVER POINT A SCOPE AT THE SUN WITHOUT HAVING MOUNTED AN APPROPRIATE SUN PROTECTION FILTER IT WOULD IMMEDIATELY DESTROY YOUR EYES!

That's for sure. I once absolutely stupidly was looking for the sun without a solar filter and then it appeared. It was terrifying, it was amazingly bright and extremely hot. I only managed to look at it very quickly, but it was enough to make my eye hurt with intense pain for the rest of the day. Luckily, everything is alright now. Complete stupidity from me.

Archived