Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Petition to regulate light pollution

billyharris72

howdo,

wildlife trusts tweeted the petition, I have re-tweeted it using the #nightblight

Have tweeted Tim peake about it, hey you never know it might give him something to do on his 7 hr flight home :hello:

sent one to friends of the earth as well.

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, kegstar said:

howdo,

wildlife trusts tweeted the petition, I have re-tweeted it using the #nightblight

Have tweeted Tim peake about it, hey you never know it might give him something to do on his 7 hr flight home :hello:

sent one to friends of the earth as well.

I've tweeted him several times with no response. Also Mr B Cox same there.

Also:-

Friends of the earth

Greenpeace

Nationalparksuk

Royal Observatory Greenwich

Herstmonceux Observatory science centre

All with no response

@Avertedvision retweeted my petition tweet so nice that one of the S@N team is on board.

Maybe if others tweeted to the same it may get a better response.

I think if we were going to start another petition, we should do it at the start of October. That way we might be able to get the ias and astrofest involved - maybe getting people to sign when they come in.

I had a captive audience at the end of a prsentation yesterday so managed to take advantage of the opportunity and did a 5 minute talk on light pollution. I had a laptop set up on the petition page and there must have been 30 people I saw signing up over coffee. I was quite clear that other family members could sign too so hopefully this will boost today's count!

Simon

On 17/06/2016 at 19:55, mapstar said:

Here is the link to the CPRE (Campaign to Protect Rural England) maps. It encompasses the whole of England and Scotland and is the most up to date data.

http://nightblight.cpre.org.uk/maps/

This is very interesting :)  A bit difficult to differentiate the different levels but it looks like I am in either the lowest level of light pollution or possibly the one above.  I do get a lovely view of the Milky Way on a very clear night but there's the rub - a very clear night is quite rare.  I'm working on a much more sensitive all sky camera which I'm hoping will capture this.

Signatures 6488 so up 58 on yesterday.

Views of the advert on Astro buy and sell 1044 up by 16.

At present very disappointing, but statistically there are always ups and downs in any figures.

The average over the last 17 days has been 86.3 signatures per day.

We now need an average of 107 per day to get to 10,000 at 22-07-2016.

Derek

48 minutes ago, Physopto said:

At present very disappointing, but statistically there are always ups and downs in any figures.

The average over the last 17 days has been 86.3 signatures per day.

We now need an average of 107 per day to get to 10,000 at 22-07-2016.

Derek

I'm sure the Tim peake effect made a boost to the numbers yesterday and friday.

Still no word from the Stornoway society?

I'm sure the web contact forms work but I've not had one response from any of them I've tried to contact groups through? I understand the need for anyone to shield themselves from spam and our society does get a lot of unwanted mail but we deal with it in the hope we can help serious people out there.

Had several responses on twitter from far and wide and the problem seems to have growing support worldwide.

It has done 2k signatures more than the last petition along the same lines so is an acheivement in itself.

I agree with your thoughts Damian. I am still awaiting replies from many web form emails sent ages ago now. I do not hold any hope of replies though. Still no reply from Greenpeace or any newspapers. I put a comment on Sunday Brunch's Facebook page  today, but that will be ignored as well I suspect.

I have had many responses from people I've contacted, almost all very supportive but even so, this number is proportionally low compared to the number of emails I've sent.  

As a guess it looks like the background level of signatures we get a day is about 40-50 now and will probably drop. It increases every so often in response to our efforts which is when we see the boosts. At this point I think it's clear that the only way we'll get to 10k is if we keep pushing hard all the way to the end. 

Simon

The lack of response from the Stornoway society is probably due to the fact that most this far North forget all together about astronomy between April and September - at best its dusk then it comes light again !!

I think we should adopt the Swiss system - if 5000 sign a petition to the government there is an automatic referendum !

46 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

The lack of response from the Stornoway society is probably due to the fact that most this far North forget all together about astronomy between April and September - at best its dusk then it comes light again !!

I can see the point but obviously the web site needs updating and someone is doing that? Maybe I should try the web master instead of mailing the committee 

Signatures 6555 so up only 67  on yesterday.

Views of the advert on Astro buy and sell 1061 up by 17.

I would now say that unless something changes dramatically we will fail to reach the 10,000 target. But that is not to say it cannot still happen. Apart from the advert I set up on AB&S I have had no positive responses from any of over 30 newspapers I tried to contact. There have been no responses from the Sky at Night or Astronomy Now magazines. There has so far been no responses from Greenpeace or any  of the  wildlife  organisations. No tweets have been replied to, by Brian May,  Brian Cox or any other TV presenters.

Derek

31 minutes ago, astrotyke said:

Its a shame that it wasnt noticed sooner really as I think it was up there for a couple of months was it before it got noticed? 

The post was put up on SGL just over 5 weeks ago and in that time the signatures have gone up by over 6k

If it had been brought up earlier as you say Chris it would've easily reached 10k. I'm sure the month we have left on this will get it there.

Hi All,

After posting the daily results earlier on. I was just saying that I hadn't heard or had replies from any emails etc.

We I am please to say I just got a reply from Chris Lintott.

In he says:

"Thanks for the email - I wonder if the Campaign for Dark Skies are aware of this petition? They know more than most what the current legal framework is.

I’ll tweet, though, as a response from the government would be good

Chris"

I have sent a reply thanking him and saying that any help will be much appreciated. I would hazard a guess and say he has been busy, so nice to see he is interested and willing to tweet some comments on the petition.
Well done Chris.

Derek

16 minutes ago, Physopto said:

Hi All,

After posting the daily results earlier on. I was just saying that I hadn't heard or had replies from any emails etc.

We I am please to say I just got a reply from Chris Lintott.

In he says:

"Thanks for the email - I wonder if the Campaign for Dark Skies are aware of this petition? They know more than most what the current legal framework is.

I’ll tweet, though, as a response from the government would be good

Chris"

I have sent a reply thanking him and saying that any help will be much appreciated. I would hazard a guess and say he has been busy, so nice to see he is interested and willing to tweet some comments on the petition.
Well done Chris.

Derek

Brilliant stuff Derek 

Archived