2) Kenilworth and Southam 29

3) Mansfield 27

4) Wells 26

5) Newbury 25

No astronomers in Orkney Islands yet...

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a quick update. I didn't receive any further replies to the mails I sent on Monday after my update yesterday. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to do any further "campaigning" yesterday as I was stuck in traffic for hours during the storm.

Simon

So far this last 24 hours have been very slow.

Petition votes now 5,491 only 57 up.

Views of AB&S now at 879  17 up.

No replies to any emails sent.

Average votes over the last  6 days is 79 per day. At this rate we will not get to 10,000 by 22-07-2016 we will be around 1,000 short.

It has slowed somewhat in the last few days with the last 24 hours being the lowest I've seen. On calculation I think you're right Derek it will be short which is truly a shame 

I have not had any replies to the emails sent from our Society Account :dontknow: and I keep tweeting but whether anyone is picking it up I'm not sure? 

I am getting the same on Twitter, no responses. Not really used Twitter in the past and don't know what I am doing there so it may be my fault. Don't like it anyway. The overall average is statistical anyway and may even out as yet at a higher figure. We may be just going through a bad patch.

Derek

4 minutes ago, Joe12345 said:

Everyone try to get 5 other people to sign - family members, neighbours ect. That way we might just do it.

Most of us have already done that, but please don't let me stop you. More the merrier. :icon_biggrin:

Derek

Thanks for the update. My eldest daughter signed it yesterday so that's one of the 48. I have some like's on the twitter stuff I keep posting but to be fair no definite new signatures.

Hopefully it's just a lull in the proceedings and it will pick up pace again.

This article was brought to my attention on

www.outdoorsmagic.com

We are all quite depressingly familiar with the issue but worth a read anyhow

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2014/oct/23/-sp-urban-light-pollution-permanent-mini-jetlag-health-unnatural-bed

How to inspire another near 5000 signatures before the deadline is a challenge. It is the Glasdonbury fest this month (I think). If anyone has any contact info regarding the organisers and happen to come on board, could become another route to gain fresh awareness if widely promoted. 

Thats a very timely article and puts this into a different perspective than just astronomy as Derek has touched on with his articles. 

I have tweeted the link with the petition but would ask others to use it too anx spread a bit more of the word 

So... tweet the journalist and invite her to write a follow up:

Ellie Violet Bramley

Ellie is a freelance journalist. She writes mainly on culture, cities, women's issues and, all too often, Point Break. She has experience working in the UK and Middle East, having been culture editor of a Lebanese news site based in Beirut. As well as the Guardian she has written for the BBC, Creative Review and Time Out, amongst others. She tweets – @ellsviolet

I think the gradual decline in new signatures is to be expected. The numbers jumped in response to us promoting awareness of the campaign, and unless we find new ways of reaching interested parties the numbers will gradually drop. I imagine if we were to draw a graph representing new signatures per unit period it would follow a line similar to a bell distribution curve.

I must confess that I've been snowed under with work this week so I haven't had a chance to do very much, but I'm hoping that will change soon.

Simon

Average 71.5 and falling over the last 8 days.

I have run out of time now as many jobs to start doing in the home.

I tried to go on Twitter this morning only to be told my account had been Locked. According to Twitter I had done something wrong. Funny that as I have not been on it for about 4 days. Then only to tweet to a few people. So reinstated buy giving my phone number and resetting with their code.  Then removed the phone number and probably going to dump the account again. So someone else will have to tweet from now on. I can't be bothered with it at all.

Derek

7 minutes ago, Physopto said:

Average 71.5 and falling over the last 8 days.

I have run out of time now as many jobs to start doing in the home.

I tried to go on Twitter this morning only to be told my account had been Locked. According to Twitter I had done something wrong. Funny that as I have not been on it for about 4 days. Then only to tweet to a few people. So reinstated buy giving my phone number and resetting with their code.  Then removed the phone number and probably going to dump the account again. So someone else will have to tweet from now on. I can't be bothered with it at all.

Derek

I've had a couple more responses via twitter today but it's not a platform I can say I particularly like myself. 

Now would be a good time to add links to the petition on any media outlets that report this news and permit comments...

I just wrote to the BBC (via haveyoursay@bbc.co.uk) to ask if a link could be included. I'm not holding my breath but nothing ventured nothing gained.

And there is a comments section to the same story on the Independent, currently with one comment ;-) 

Googling the story using 'artificial light pollution science advances' brings up a bunch of places where the report is in the media so if anyone has time to search out some of these and add links it would help a lot, I'm sure.

Martin

1 hour ago, Martin Meredith said:

Now would be a good time to add links to the petition on any media outlets that report this news and permit comments...

I just wrote to the BBC (via haveyoursay@bbc.co.uk) to ask if a link could be included. I'm not holding my breath but nothing ventured nothing gained.

And there is a comments section to the same story on the Independent, currently with one comment ;-) 

Googling the story using 'artificial light pollution science advances' brings up a bunch of places where the report is in the media so if anyone has time to search out some of these and add links it would help a lot, I'm sure.

Martin

BBC are "difficult" when it comes to Government Petitions.  A year or two ago I posted a link to a government petition about wildlife on the BBC Wildlife Forum (it was a really "mainstream" petition that anybody interested in wildlife would have signed.  The post was quickly deleted and replaced with a "strongly worded moderator reminder about such things on a BBC web site.

I hope I am wrong and that they allow links but I suspect the petition would have to become "news" so they can report "Light Pollution petition gets 100,000 signatures and rising".  I notice often even the national press web sites report "petition to remove <politician of the headline> ...> but don't provide links (so the "determined" have to use Google).

But, worth a try.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to think of other groups who might be concerned.  Only thought so far is that many Astronomy Clubs have a "monthly" (periodic) club news e-mail.  So maybe try re-sending the petition details with "signatures needed so maybe for your next routine club e-mail-shot (and maybe mention husbands, wives, children, parents, etc. can also sign)" (I know one of my clubs posted a link on their forum but omitted it from their e-mail shot whilst another put it on their Facebook/Twitter/whatever pages AND sent a specific Light Pollution e-mail to all members (or rather all members who provide their e-mail address).

Ian

Archived