Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Petition to regulate light pollution

billyharris72

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Soupy said:

Happy to report Kielder Observatory now also on board... Cheers Gary and the team. :)

Is that why the sudden surge in numbers? Hopefully they have lots of contacts to network through 

Average over last 11 days is 75.18 votes/ day

At this rate we will be 1,200 plus short.

I received an email from the government web site today asking me to take part in an online discussion about a petition. Then realised it was on Twitter and not about this subject?????

Go Figure!!

Derek

I spent hours yesterday browsing around UK amateur astronomer's websites looking for their email addresses in order to contact them. I managed just over 150, though no doubt many will have already signed the petition. I also spotted that the light pollution article on the Guardian website was also covered by the Independent and the Daily Mail. I posted a link on the Independent comments section, and tried on the Daily Mail though it didn't seem to post for some reason.

Simon

Despite numerous e-mails The wildlife trusts still haven't replied or done anything. I'll keep trying to get an answer from someone.

slightly better news I got this reply back from Buglife

Every bit helps.

Info <info@buglife.org.uk>

Wed 08/06

Gary Williams

Hi Gary,

I have sent a few tweets out about it but I have been told not to push it too hard, as we have other press releases going out in the next week or two. So I am trying to put out at least two tweets a week about it so it doesn’t fill up our feed/ become repetitive.

I hope our efforts are helping reach the target!

Regards,

Imogen Burt

not sure bout hashtag, don't know much about twitter. still learning.

Was just sent this & have e-mailed the author about the petition.

Also their is a new article on the cpre website regarding this. Have also e-mailed cpre and the author of their article about the petition.

Light pollution has been a hot topic this weekend with an international team of scientists publishing research showing that more than a third of humanity cannot see the Milky Way.

LUC has once again been working with Campaign to Protect Rural England (CPRE) to use the latest available satellite data to map England’s light pollution and dark skies. This new mapping work, launched this week, builds on previous studies undertaken by LUC and CPRE in 2003 to show the extent of light pollution in the UK in 1993 and 2000.

LUC’s GIS team used data gathered by the United States National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Suomi NPP satellite to create an interactive map and supporting analysis to show how light pollution is distributed around the country and where the darkest skies are.

Our ancestors saw the night sky in a way that is impossible for most of us today; just a handful of the brightest stars are visible in urban areas due to light pollution, the effects of which can be seen in all but the most isolated places. We hope that these maps will allow everyone to find somewhere they can go to improve their view, and help them to appreciate why the night sky has been so important throughout every aspect of human history.

Diana Manson, LUC’s Head of GIS and Visualisation says "We are delighted to be working with CPRE again to support their work through the development of these maps. We believe that this updated data will provide a fantastic evidence base to support a range of our clients’ work in landscape protection and management and to inform planning decisions."

To see how dark the skies in your area are compared to other locations around the UK, have a look here: http://nightblight.cpre.org.uk/

The website has a wealth of resources relating to night blight and through the interactive map you can access detailed maps for any region, county, district or protected landscape. For a more detailed view, you can print off a map zoomed to your postcode.

Happy mapping!

LUC’s GIS and Visualisation team

Great work everyone is doing. Looking at it this way, if every member of SGL contacted just one more person, the petition would reach 10000 sigs, I think...

I contacted my nephew who is studying astrophysics, so hopefully it will get around some of his mates too.

Not sure if it has been mentioned on any of our sister forums such as CN? While many won't be eligible, a lot have relatives and friends in the UK who will be.

One last push!

Martin

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

90 signatures in 6 hours - are things looking up?

Probably because Kielder obsy is now on board. Cheers that Soupy fella it took em long enough. Wonder if others are aware like the Royal Obsy Greenwich and Herstmonceux observatory? anyone got contacts there? 

Also got a a twitter feed to @StarTalkRadio  they have 115K followers so maybe that may be worth something

I'd say it's because we have several threads running in parallel at the moment, all of which are doing their bit to help. It's a stroke of luck that the light pollution map was released last Friday as that has given us something to latch on to with links. 

Let's hope the current trend lasts as long as possible as we now need at least 110 signatures a day if we're to reach the 10k target.

Simon

I've just had an email from Shaun Spiers, CE of the CPRE who recently launched their dark sky maps.

Not unsurprisingly he says they get asked to support many petitions, and also regrets that it overlooks existing legislation and policy, but then adds:

"However, as you say, the petition helps raise the profile of the issue and it would be good to get a government statement. So we will tweet about the petition. Thanks for suggesting it, and I’m glad you like the maps.

"

Hopefully this will help keep up the new momentum, I suggest using the hashtag #NightBlight as this will benefit both the petition AND the CPRE's dark sky maps.

Ive been out of the loop for a couple of weeks due to ither commitments but its good to see this is progressing well and some of our members efforts have been fantastic.

Now some of the bigger organisations such as kielder are coming on board im hoping that will give enough momentum to get this over the line.

Im going to pester my local club again as it seems their uptake hasnt moved much !

cheers

Archived