NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Petition to regulate light pollution

billyharris72

I have exhausted my list of friends and acquaintances quite some time ago and am not prepared to annoy my friends any more. I am still trying other means but most seem to fall on deaf ears. We are doing this at possibly the worst possible time owing to the referendum and results. That has the populaces interest not this Pollution Petition. If we fail to get the signatures we will just have to accept it. It has not been for the want of trying. Very important topic for us astronomers but to the rest of Britain it just pales into insignificance!

Although an email to Chris Lintott came back saying that he was going to tweet I have yet to see it. I contacted Chris North. No email back but he did tweet about the petition.

I have had not replies from any newspapers and none from any Bat or other wildlife associations. I even contacted the Woman's Institute with out any reply.

Derek

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With regard to the bat groups I contacted all of them listed online (I think there were 70 or so) and only about 4 of them actually told me they had circulated the email to their members. I didn't get anywhere with the Wildlife Trusts after emailing all 47 of them either.

I found I had the most success browsing around amateur astronomer's websites and finding email addresses to contact them. I've had hundreds of responses using that method. I also had some success contacting local establishments with an interest in wildlife/nature. I have also contacted some further afield, though of course it's easier to think of places to contact in the area you live.

I think we've done pretty well all things considered but it will be a shame to have done so much without any kind of response.

Simon

Todays figures : signatures are at 6962 up only 32 from yesterday.

AB&S views are at : 1222 up 17.

We are now coming to the last few days and the revised minimum needed signatures per day is around 130.

Derek

I had a look at a few of the other petitions running on the .gov site the other day.

Some have more signatures than this and goes to show how much apathy the general populus has for subjects like this. 

I have had a few retweets today but no more replies to emails. 

On ‎27‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 16:00, Physopto said:

I even contacted the Woman's Institute with out any reply.

Derek

Now that is a very surprising .... an opportunity to talk has been passed by :hello:

90% of the worlds population lives under light polluted sky's, so 90% of astronomers use ever larger scopes to compensate, placing more demand on the manufacturing to build and promote the use of ever larger scopes. It is in the astronomy culture to suggest every new telescope buyer purchase a 8 inch scope or better. Building bridges around the problem will only get you longer bridges as the problem gets worse. Signing a petition isent action it's more a gesture than a cure. Ask your neighbor to shut them off, tell your township too! Explain Why...or look forward to light polluted star parties with carloads of giant scopes...meanwhile I will be playing in the darkness with my high quality small apature scopes telling folks outright to turn that  ungreen junk off!

4 minutes ago, caracol_uk said:

We're closing in on the second most popular petition over the past hour.....just need to overtake the one about making it illegal for politicians to lie. 

Simon

Lets keep the thread on track and just thank it's heading in the right direction 

Archived