Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Petition to regulate light pollution

billyharris72

59 minutes ago, rrb24 said:

I hope their 100 members have signed the petition as I tried to contact them via their web site messenger and have never had a reply?

Interestingly sheffield central is one of the few places in the country that has no signatures? 

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, mapstar said:

I hope their 100 members have signed the petition as I tried to contact them via their web site messenger and have never had a reply?

Interestingly sheffield central is one of the few places in the country that has no signatures? 

Just read this. One of the members Mike Collinson, the treasurer of Mexborough and Swinton I know. I will email him. 

Derek

Hi all -

Another article has come to my attention regarding light-pollution and LED's posing a greater hazard than just 'meets the eye.'

Have a link:

http://www.takepart.com/article/2016/06/16/light-pollution-safe-people-wildlife?cmpid=tpdaily-eml-2016-06-20-B

Keep on spreading the word, folks. There's a great deal riding on your success!

Dave

On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 09:36, Dave In Vermont said:

Hi all -

Another article has come to my attention regarding light-pollution and LED's posing a greater hazard than just 'meets the eye.'

Have a link:

http://www.takepart.com/article/2016/06/16/light-pollution-safe-people-wildlife?cmpid=tpdaily-eml-2016-06-20-B

Keep on spreading the word, folks. There's a great deal riding on your success!

Dave

Hi Dave,

Some of the points in this article do not make any sense at all. The blue wavelengths reduce the bodies ability to produce melatonin necessary for sleep.

Quote:

"The bright lights can also disrupt natural circadian rhythms, during which, according to the report, “melatonin blood concentrations rise, body temperature drops, sleepiness grows, and hunger abates, along with several other responses.”

Bright lights do not cause melatonin levels to rise! Bright lights produce the opposite effect. Whoever wrote the article got their facts wrong and in short did not read the original article correctly, assuming the article was correct. Inaccuracies like tis do not help at all, which is a shame.

I have tried to find the original report but it seems not to be on their (AMA) website.

Derek

Interestingly I have just had a response to the AB&S advert for the petition.

"Matt Pardoe writes:
Hi saw the petition notice, I've added a link on change.org as have had success with petitions there

https://www.change.org/p/petitionscommittee-parliament-uk-combat-light-pollution-in-the-uk?recruiter=526598048&utm_source=share_for_starters&utm_medium=copyLink

it needs 5 supporters there to get it visible to all on that site,
"

I have just been there and signed up for that petition which promotes the one we are trying to get noticed.

If you are reading this please have a look at it. More publicity is welcome for us at this stage. Thanks to Matt.

Derek

20 minutes ago, Physopto said:

it needs 5 supporters there to get it visible to all on that site, "

I have just been there and signed up for that petition which promotes the one we are trying to get noticed.

If you are reading this please have a look at it. More publicity is welcome for us at this stage. Thanks to Matt.

Done. Wasn't it Sadiq Khan rather than Amir Khan who proposed lighting bridges on the Thames? I'm sure I heard on the radio the other day that he has resigned from running for mayor so it's possible this foolish scheme will no longer go ahead anyway.

Simon

37 minutes ago, Physopto said:

Interestingly I have just had a response to the AB&S advert for the petition.

"Matt Pardoe writes:
Hi saw the petition notice, I've added a link on change.org as have had success with petitions there

https://www.change.org/p/petitionscommittee-parliament-uk-combat-light-pollution-in-the-uk?recruiter=526598048&utm_source=share_for_starters&utm_medium=copyLink

it needs 5 supporters there to get it visible to all on that site,
"

Derek

Change.org is a disaster and a petition killer.  I will no longer sign anything to do with it as it is a site you do get loads and loads of SPAM from.

It seems to have been created as a seperate petition on change.org with its own count of signatures and without the same requirements as the Government petitions site (e.g. be resident in the UK).  So if anybody signs on change.org they will not be counted and will not probably not also sign the real petition.  IT WILL DETRACT SIGNATURES.

I'd get it taken off change.org very very urgently.  I notice 3 people have signed on chang.org already (and so those 3 will probably not also be signing the real petition).  So that's 3 signatures probably lost already.  and there is no way to contact they guy to get it down without creating your "change.org account" and getting spamed - I've discarded e-mail addresses before thanks to change.org.

If anybody can contact the person who started it contact them urgently and get it taken down.  This is just the sort of thing to kill off progress.  I could scream.  There is already a petition (on the government web site).  Starting a 2nd petition will NOT HELP.  It is NOT increased publicity but a competing petition (target is 100 signatures at the moment!!).

Ian

1 hour ago, caracol_uk said:

Done. Wasn't it Sadiq Khan rather than Amir Khan who proposed lighting bridges on the Thames? I'm sure I heard on the radio the other day that he has resigned from running for mayor so it's possible this foolish scheme will no longer go ahead anyway.

Simon

Quite correct sorry lost in being far too busy. Changed.

1 hour ago, psamathe said:

Change.org is a disaster and a petition killer.  I will no longer sign anything to do with it as it is a site you do get loads and loads of SPAM from.

It seems to have been created as a seperate petition on change.org with its own count of signatures and without the same requirements as the Government petitions site (e.g. be resident in the UK).  So if anybody signs on change.org they will not be counted and will not probably not also sign the real petition.  IT WILL DETRACT SIGNATURES.

I'd get it taken off change.org very very urgently.  I notice 3 people have signed on chang.org already (and so those 3 will probably not also be signing the real petition).  So that's 3 signatures probably lost already.  and there is no way to contact they guy to get it down without creating your "change.org account" and getting spamed - I've discarded e-mail addresses before thanks to change.org.

If anybody can contact the person who started it contact them urgently and get it taken down.  This is just the sort of thing to kill off progress.  I could scream.  There is already a petition (on the government web site).  Starting a 2nd petition will NOT HELP.  It is NOT increased publicity but a competing petition (target is 100 signatures at the moment!!).

Ian

There is a link on the website to the correct petitions site. It is clearly stated. I have no previous knowledge of Change.org so cannot comment. I have to at least give people a chance if I believe they are genuinely trying to help. So far I have had no adverse emails from that site.

It will be up to the individual to asses the site.

If we get more coverage with out any problems then fine by me.

Derek

4 hours ago, Physopto said:

Hi Dave,

Some of the points in this article do not make any sense at all. The blue wavelengths reduce the bodies ability to produce melatonin necessary for sleep.

Quote:

"The bright lights can also disrupt natural circadian rhythms, during which, according to the report, “melatonin blood concentrations rise, body temperature drops, sleepiness grows, and hunger abates, along with several other responses.”

Bright lights do not cause melatonin levels to rise! Bright lights produce the opposite effect. Whoever wrote the article got their facts wrong and in short did not read the original article correctly, assuming the article was correct. Inaccuracies like tis do not help at all, which is a shame.

I have tried to find the original report but it seems not to be on their (AMA) website.

Derek

I never said CNN was an 'accurate' news-feed, only that it is a major one. Our media over here has gone to hell-on-a-sled. A quick wander through Yahoo News will bear this out in spades! Thus:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/?ref=gs

My apologies to sensible people everywhere,

Dave

<EDIT> I just realized you were refering to the previous link! Oops! But my reply stands nonetheless. The art of 'proofreading' has been left wind-blown into the sands of time. :eek:  :D

2 hours ago, Physopto said:

There is a link on the website to the correct petitions site. It is clearly stated. I have no previous knowledge of Change.org so cannot comment. I have to at least give people a chance if I believe they are genuinely trying to help. So far I have had no adverse emails from that site.

It will be up to the individual to asses the site.

If we get more coverage with out any problems then fine by me.

Derek

It is actually decidedly unclear.  It talks about signing the petition and putting in your name, e-mail postcode, etc. and there are the boxes for name, e-mail, address just to the right of the text.  So, on a petition site, being asked to sign a petition asking for the details with the entry for those details just on right side of the page, where would you "sign".

This is a disaster and must be stopped.  I appreciate I have not put as much work in as others on this but I have spent time e-mailing, raising the subject with astro clubs (with some success - one sent round a specific email to all members about the petition and I now despair that it has been hijacked.

If this is how the astro community operates over things like this then we are sunk.

With two competing petitions running there is no way we will get the necessary signatures on the real petition site.

If there are thoughts on another in future then count me out as to put in the effort to have it hijacked near the end by somebody else ... I give-up.

You wont get adverse e-mails from that site.  I have been unable to contact this Matt Pardoe (after all the spam and issues I've had with change.org they reject my e-mail address - as when you sign a petition you effectively create an account and they don't delete your information as information is $$$$$$$).

I used to be active in the Green Party and people there went through how to get government "attention" and how to fail at getting government attention.  Paving a petition on a petition site announcing a bit cryptically about a petition on another site ... is not good ... in fact it's bad.  You have competing petitions.

If the guy refuses to take it down, best we can hope for is that nobody notices it there (and does not sign it there as signatures there are useless to the petition).

Ian

Hi Ian,

I am not sure where you are looking, but the link is NOT unclear. It is highlighted I RED at the bottom of the page. According to Matt Pardoe's email to me we only need 5 signatures to the petition on Change.org to get it seen by everyone. The main description  of the Government petition is the one I wrote and placed on Astro Buy and Sell when I placed the advert.

I am sure Matt was and is only trying to help. If not I guess we will soon find out and that would be a shame.

Derek

49 minutes ago, psamathe said:

It is actually decidedly unclear.  It talks about signing the petition and putting in your name, e-mail postcode, etc. and there are the boxes for name, e-mail, address just to the right of the text.  So, on a petition site, being asked to sign a petition asking for the details with the entry for those details just on right side of the page, where would you "sign".

This is a disaster and must be stopped.  I appreciate I have not put as much work in as others on this but I have spent time e-mailing, raising the subject with astro clubs (with some success - one sent round a specific email to all members about the petition and I now despair that it has been hijacked.

If this is how the astro community operates over things like this then we are sunk.

With two competing petitions running there is no way we will get the necessary signatures on the real petition site.

If there are thoughts on another in future then count me out as to put in the effort to have it hijacked near the end by somebody else ... I give-up.

You wont get adverse e-mails from that site.  I have been unable to contact this Matt Pardoe (after all the spam and issues I've had with change.org they reject my e-mail address - as when you sign a petition you effectively create an account and they don't delete your information as information is $$$$$$$).

I used to be active in the Green Party and people there went through how to get government "attention" and how to fail at getting government attention.  Paving a petition on a petition site announcing a bit cryptically about a petition on another site ... is not good ... in fact it's bad.  You have competing petitions.

If the guy refuses to take it down, best we can hope for is that nobody notices it there (and does not sign it there as signatures there are useless to the petition).

Ian

Ian I feel your frustration and along with many others I have tried my best to put word out there.

I have read through the change.org  'other petition' and the link to the real petition is there with details of how to go about it.

Obviously petitioning is not my fortee so I haven't the experience to agree with you on it competing. I just see it as another way to draw in a signature. For the amount people that will look I doubt it will detract.

It might be good for clarity if a couple of comments state not to sign on change.org but follow the link so all the signatures go the proper way. I personally would use the link at the bottom so it would get there but others may be confused.

Any where it can be posted must not be seen as a negative. Any more suggestions from your green party activety would be good before we make any more detrimental moves towards raising awareness about this. 

Just now, laudropb said:

Just pointed this out to my wife tonight, hinting we should move to one of the dark areas. Quick as a flash she replied " and they don't have clouds in the highlands " Just can't win.

I guess she's signed to save all that upheaval then :grin:

1 hour ago, laudropb said:

Just pointed this out to my wife tonight, hinting we should move to one of the dark areas. Quick as a flash she replied " and they don't have clouds in the highlands " Just can't win.

Just like a wife! Put us in our place. No imagination. :mad:

Archived