Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Petition to regulate light pollution

billyharris72

I've added it to the comments section of the Grauniad's article too. The problem there is that the posts get lost, so if anyone else has an account it would be worth adding your own comments/links. 

That article has quotes by a number of astro-people including Brian May, Lucie Green and Martin Rees. Does anyone have contacts to try to get some of these people to tweet the petition?

Martin

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Martin Meredith said:

I've added it to the comments section of the Grauniad's article too. The problem there is that the posts get lost, so if anyone else has an account it would be worth adding your own comments/links. 

That article has quotes by a number of astro-people including Brian May, Lucie Green and Martin Rees. Does anyone have contacts to try to get some of these people to tweet the petition?

Martin

Done (not proud of my comment but at least it has put the link somewhere else).

Ian

11 hours ago, Martin Meredith said:

Martin

I've just sent Brian May an e-mail via his website:  http://brianmay.com/brian/brianssb/brianssb.html

I think he's currently on tour, but you never know......

SR.

Today's figures are:

Votes 5,687 up 101

Views of add 927  up 15

Better!

I have managed to put the short article on Facebook It is under Sunderland Astronomy society, on my page and also on the Sky at Night Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=sky at night magazine). I have also sent an email to Brian May again via a different email address.

Derek

49 minutes ago, Physopto said:

Today's figures are:

Votes 5,687 up 101

Views of add 927  up 15

Better!

I have managed to put the short article on Facebook It is under Sunderland Astronomy society, on my page and also on the Sky at Night Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=sky at night magazine). I have also sent an email to Brian May again via a different email address.

Derek

Looks like posting on another forum and Twitter is having an effect (would suggest any other forum we're on?). I keep replying to photo's on there with a 'sign the petition' posted in and quite a few have returned back retweeted or saying they have already signed it

4 minutes ago, caracol_uk said:

I bet the article on The Guardian's website is helping quite a bit too. I'm encouraged by the number of positive comments on the article submitted by the general public.

Simon

The Guardians quite an old article? the comments are posted 2014?  

I've just added a comment on the guardian website article. I think it's in our best interest to keep a link to the petition present in the more recent comments. People are not likely to read back very far through the older comments and based on the number of comments so far it's clear many people have at least quickly read the article. Obviously no one person should post more than a few times.

Simon

Someone (named Dreagon) just posted a comment on the Guardian article mentioning that they'd rather lose the night sky to ensure they remain safe. I've just replied to their comment (carefully worded I might add). Might be an idea if others here could back up my comment .

Simon

8 hours ago, Physopto said:

Today's figures are:

Votes 5,742 up 55

Views of add 941  up 14

Ha ha, I was at a friends house party on Sat night. I went round most people with my phone showing them the petition and explaining the reasons why it would be beneficial if they were to sign up. The majority agreed with the sentiments of the petition and duly signed:icon_biggrin: I should also say that none of them were astronomers

Hi Derek,

I may not have been actively posting on this thread but I have been following it. In the background I have been cajoling astro societies, friends, family and work colleagues to sign up.

20 minutes ago, Demon Barber said:

Your interrupting Sky at Night all about M51,i wish i could sleep,

Mike

Not a patch on actually seeing those spiral arms! Worth every bit of all this campaigning 

Archived