SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Petition to regulate light pollution

billyharris72

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Galatic Wanderer said:

Why not try posting it on other astronomy forums based in the UK?

Like this one: http://www.astronomyshed.co.uk/forum/index.php

I know it doesn't have as many members as SGL but it would be a step in the right direction.

SEB

Already been done by Physopto if you have a look at Astronomyshed

Yes been there and done it! Also posted on the BAA web forum and UK Astronomy Forum. I know lots of us have been pushing this with loads of different methods. New ideas are Always welcome.

Derek

2 hours ago, Galatic Wanderer said:

Why not try posting it on other astronomy forums based in the UK?

Like this one: http://www.astronomyshed.co.uk/forum/index.php

I know it doesn't have as many members as SGL but it would be a step in the right direction.

SEB

I posted it on Sky at Night forum (got a couple of "Signed" responses) and Society for Popular Astronomy (SPA) forum which only got a gripe about needing something to prevent clouds and contrails (no "signed" responses atall!).

Ian

25 minutes ago, Physopto said:

Yes been there and done it! Also posted on the BAA web forum and UK Astronomy Forum. I know lots of us have been pushing this with loads of different methods. New ideas are Always welcome.

Derek

Students ?  University Physics Departments or Biology Departments ?  Students Unions ?  Need somebody to write a "reasons why you should sign" probably tailored to the target audience (I was a student far too long ago to appreciate what aspects are likely to activate the younger generation these days).

Hedgehog rescue organisations - again as light pollution can badly disrupt nocturnal species.

Bat Groups (located all over the country, organised through the Bat Conservation Trust http://www.bats.org.uk/pages/local_bat_groups.html; their attitude to light and light pollution outlined http://www.bats.org.uk/pages/bats_and_lighting.html).  There are actually a fair number of bat groups and they are very dedicated/committed people and ften run their own web sites, Facebook/Twitter, etc.)

What about Jodcast (Astronomy Podcast every 2 weeks by Jodrell Bank/Manchester University).  They do a lot of social media, etc. so even if they don't include it in the next podcast, they might put the links out on Twitter/Social Media feeds ? http://jodcast.net

Or http://awesomeastronomy.com (another UK based podcast) - more independent.  No idea how large their audience is but again, they do "Social Media" as well as the podcast and are keen astronomers.

Just thinking aloud.

Ian

Some great ideas there Ian, especially the students. They are much more likely to spread the word through social media if they think it's a worthy cause. What could work very well is if we get the attention of a celebrity such as Brian May or Brian Cox.

Simon

23 minutes ago, caracol_uk said:

Some great ideas there Ian, especially the students. They are much more likely to spread the word through social media if they think it's a worthy cause. What could work very well is if we get the attention of a celebrity such as Brian May or Brian Cox.

Simon

Already sent messages to them both with no replies so far. :mad:

Derek

43 minutes ago, Physopto said:

Well I have sent an email to the Bat group.

Derek

If you have ideas why not email these people yourselves as well. It is quite easy. :p

Time - something I'm very limited with at the moment.  A lot of Bat Groups to email, etc. and I don't have the time (otherwise I would).

Ian

Well spent a few hours sending out more emails and trying to contact editors.

Stranraer

West Highlands

Doncaster

Bucks

The Leader

Bury

SHMU Aberdeen

and London Free Press

All of these have been emailed or contacted with a short article.

Now we wait and see if any are interested!

Derek

An astronomy club has just started up at school which wouldn't normally be very popular, but apparently we'll be doing trips to jodrell bank and the space centre, and even speaking live to Tim peak! (if we do I'll mention the petition). I'll get everyone at the club to sign it as well, so that'll be at least 3 more sigs.

The petition website appears to be down at the moment. I've been emailing various local groups that are likely to be in favour of signing the petition. I've mailed my local bat groups, a few wildlife clubs and even the local green Christian group (I didn't know they existed until today).

Simon

Just now, caracol_uk said:

The petition website appears to be down at the moment. I've been emailing various local groups that are likely to be in favour of signing the petition. I've mailed my local bat groups, a few wildlife clubs and even the local green Christian group (I didn't know they existed until today).

Simon

Looks like it's back again.

Well at least one email has been read.

To: Lisa Worledge
   Subject: Light Pollution Petition
   Sent: 28 May 2016 15:57:00 (UTC) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London

was read on 29 May 2016 07:53:19 (UTC) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London

4,626 votes at present.

Birmingham Hodge Hill population around 75,000

West Bromwich West population around 63,000

Hayes and Harlington population around 75,000

Romford population around 72,500

Shefield Central population around 77,000

Bradford West population around 63,500

Airdrie and Shotts population around 54,000

Glasgow North East population around 62,000

Newry and Amagh Population around 78,000

Na h-EEileanan an Iar population around 45,000

These are the only areas without any votes recorded.

These figures contain all persons  eligable to vote only.

It shows that there are many who either have no knowledge of the petition or are not astronomers.

It is almost inconceivable that none in those areas are astromomers.

Derek

Daily Telegraph

South Wales Argos

Pontypool News Room

Chepstow & Monmouthshire

Barry & District News Room

Penarth Times News Room

Campaign Times News room

Free Press & Media.co.uk

Crossendale Free Press

All contacted this last couple of hours.

The add on Astro Buy & Sell has been updated yesterday and will be again today. Last viewed count was 686 times today

Derek

Great work Derek. I hadn't realised there was already a link on the astrobuysell website. I contacted them yesterday asking if they could put a link in place. I sent quite a few mails to local organisations yesterday too but so far haven't heard much back. I added a post on some old stargazing like announcements in the hope that some of the many people that posted comments on those groups will see the update and perhaps sign the petition. 

I think we've probably close to reached the number of "easy" signatures, those of amateur astronomers. We really need to attract the attention of those with no more than a passing interest in astronomy to boost the numbers.

Simon

Sent a couple of emails out to retailers today (Green Witch and Telescope house) hopefully to get them on board if they are not already. I know Green Witch has a healthy relationship with many RSPB and bird watching groups. Also contacted the BOU (British Ornithologists Union) with a request for help. I shall see if I get anything back from them 

Archived