stargazine_ep35_banner.thumb.jpg.a7c1791d7e682021778de0def357bdbb.jpg

Seeing several excellent images of the 'Needle' posted recently by members prompted me to go back and have another go at processing one of my own efforts from a while back.  I think this is a worthwhile improvement with more detail extracted in the dust lane.
It's 6.4 hours luminance (1x1) and 3.2 hours RGB (2x2), taken with a SW MN190 and QSI583 with OAG.  This is a crop of the central area.  A wider field view can be seen here: http://universalconstant.com/NGC4565_AP_crop2.jpg

NGC4565_AP_crop4.jpg

• Like 15

Nice image.

Bottom right the spreading trail of faint fuzzies/stars give the impression of light sprinkles left behind as this bright galaxy drifts through space... magical.

Peter

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Jananas07
      Hi! So Ive found some pictures from an arxiv report in a database which I need for my project and converted them to fits files (The picture on the left). The one that was used in the arxiv report (picture on right) is a zoomed in picture of a galaxy in that picture, where its clearly visible. However when I try zooming in on the exakt coordinates of the galaxy in the fits image, its just plain black. I want the picture "raw", that's why I saved it as fits and not their pdf picture from report. Someone suggested first stretching the image for a more detailed image but some filters had to be used though... the only thing I can find on the tables of the images is that filter F160W was used. I have no idea how to move forward now, completely stuck. Would appreciate some help! 
    • By AstroM1
      Andromeda Galaxy Group
      Nikon D5100 -- Nikkor 70-300 at 200mm
      60x30 sec + DOF
      Star Adventurer
    • By AstroRuz
      Today I finally edited some data I've had for a while. It's a widefield shot (50mm prime lens) that was used on a modified Canon 600D. The end result is about 50 x 3 minute exposures, ISO 800 f/3.5. It was also shot with an IDAS D2 light pollution suppression filter riding atop an iOptron SkyGuider Pro. The Eastern skies when I shot this are full of street lights so there were some nasty gradients.
      I also realised that the camera lens pulls itself in when the camera is switched off, which meant that even though I'd taped the focus ring down, my focus had changed and I couldn't use flat frames anymore, resulting in the horrible dust motes. Ah well, show must go on! Speaking of flat frames, I have a video on them on my YouTube channel and a post on my website.

I hope you enjoy the photo. It was actually quite difficult to process in a way that doesn't destroy any details in Andromeda. Also, because it wasn't dithered there's a lot of walking noise in the image that also ruined definition.
      Just... appreciate it from afar, and don't zoom in! 😂

• By Sidecontrol
      Hi Everyone,

Not posted some images since my introduction in the welcome section.  With the dark nights finally back here in Scotland I thought Id share some of the DSOs I managed to capture back in Feb-April just before the light nights rolled in at the start of May.

These were all stacked and edited in PixInsight.  
      1.  The Running Man and Orion Nebula - less than an hour of integration time (SA pro + fuji 55-200mm lens).
      2. Bodes and Cigar Galaxy - Less than an hour of integration time ( SA pro + SW 72 ED telescope). 
      3. Flame, Horsehead, Running Man and Orion Nebula - Less than an hour of integration time (SA pro + fuji 55-200mm lens).
      4. Pinwheel Galaxy - 35 mins integration time (SA pro + SW 72 ED telescope).
      5  Whirlpool Galaxy - 21 mins integration time (SA pro + SW 72 ED telescope). 
      6.  Andromeda Galaxy - 1.5 minutes integration time (Move Shoot Move + fuji 55-200mm lens).  

• By stepping beyond
      I've had 3  new mounts since after Xmas last year and it has been a real pita trying to get the first to mounts to operate correctly with my Sgp Software . March rolled in and I had lost too much time trying to get the 1st 2 mounts to do the job . I dipped back in the kitty and got an AVX straight out of the box took me to galaxies FAR FAR AWAY, WOOHOO! I've been trying to process the galaxy for a mount  and match it with my archived data and finally I'm getting somewhere.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.