Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ethos Lunar views

Pondus

I am curious about how Ethos 8-10-13mm (whatever it takes for your scope to frame the Whole Moon) performs?

I`m especially interested about the lunar limb, any hint of false colors etc

If there is a thread where this has already been discussed, I`m more than happy to be pointed in the right direction

Rune

Many of these hyper-wide eyepieces, including the Ethos range, can show a little false colour at the extremes of the field of view I've found. It's to do with the refraction of light through the edges of the glass lenses into your eye I believe. The false colour can come and go as you move your eye around altering the angle that the light is being bent.

Despite this I find them exciting and satisfying eyepieces to use for lunar viewing although I can think of at least one SGL member who does not find them so nice for this :icon_biggrin:

I am unusual (possibly unique) in that I see moderate amounts of chromatic aberration all over the lunar disc with Ethos (I used a 13mm), Delos (8mm and 17.3mm) and my 26mm Nagler but none with my panoptics and Delites (or my old TV plossls /  Radians). 

Other than the moon though, the views are spectacular in any of the above. It was never associated with the limb as such, rather a general splash of colour as I rolled my eye about. 

As much as I have done this a good number of times, be it 6mm in the APO or 17mm in the Meade 12 inch I have always had just a little to spare before you get to very edge, which is not that easy to see in any case. The very edge can have a little false colour though I personally feel it is more the Ring of Fire effect you get with Naglers as well. I never found this distracting in any way and I feel it is not something you should really judge the superb performance of the range on as for me the edge distortion which is there as a result of correction will be more noticable. I tend to prefer Delos for Luna work.

So letting the Moon 'drift' into view, might be a bit disappointing, the colors sort of stealing the attention?

I`ve had a brief first light With my ES20mm 100, and and I am absolutely delighted With the wide Field views, clusters asterisms etc

A genuine lost in Space / spacewalk experiece. Simply loved it. There where (as expected) CA on lunar when Close to the edge, somewhat reduced when changing viewing position

Lunar, or planets are however not the primary target of course (edit : meaning the ES20). Just wondered if I would experience the same at higher Power 100`s.

Would I experience this With a Nagler ( or another 82 degree quality eyepiece)?

Thank you for the quick answers on this.

Rune

I've used my Ethos SX 4.7mm a few times on Jupiter now. I don't see any CA with that one and the planet stays sharp right to the edge of the 110 degree AFoV. Thats one of the remarkable features of the Ethos eyepieces when used at high powers. I recall using my 6mm Ethos to view Saturn (265x in my 12" dob) and noting how the Cassini Division and a faint moon (Enceladus) remained sharp even as the planet slipped behind the field stop edge.

Thank you all for replying on this.

I was so impressed With the brief moments using ES20, that I wanted to make an immediate  order for the Whole range of the 100`s that are out there.

Better cool Down :).

Rune

I have got to 100% agree with John here, never a problem on Planets for me and to use his words cassini sharp to the point where it slipped from view. I also don't feel you will be that upset with moon, try it is the only way. These really are the Kings for Dobsonain scopes as eyepieces go, you will not really find better, Nikon are said to have a slight edge but are even more costly and very few in the range compared to TV.

Quite apart from the 100 degree field, I've found that the 100 degree eyepieces that I've owned and used (from Tele Vue, Explore Scientific, Skywatcher and William Optics) have all been superb optical performers in other departments as well, ie: light scatter, throughput, tone, ghosting etc, etc. I reckon the manufacturers put their all into these flagship models.

They are not everyones "cup of tea" though and thank goodness there is such a wide range of alternative occular prescriptions available in the market today !

Very interesting thread - I was going to ask a similar question as I was quite taken aback by what I saw when the moon neared the edge of my new ES20/100°, compared to my Pan24.  Inexperience/naivety, but I specifically looked for it having remembered Shane mentioning it before.  It's very possible I didn't have my eye optimally placed too - hope to try again tomorrow night.

Glad to hear that in shorter f/l Ethosesss planets are well presented to the edge. Very tempted to try an Ethos (10 or 8mm) - getting my eyes tested on Friday - could be going the Delos root yet :D

When the moon + haze not so prevalent, I'm looking fwd to testing the 20mm out on some DSOs :)

With the TV85 I've been trying and failing to find anything wrong with looking through an Ethos at the Moon - the 8mm frames Luna in the eyepiece about as tight as it gets (I do have to get "down into" the eyepiece to see the entire disk, but I enjoy that) and the 13mm fills the view with Moon and a bit more darkness around it. I may not be picky enough with regard to that which is called 'false colour', mind you...but how can I tell?

As for Jupiter, the 8mm Ethos has given me the best view I've had yet, if not the most magnified.

So I, as a novice, have not noticed any colour that doesn't seem to belong. For what it's worth.

I think the easiest way to see lateral color is daytime test, simply putting eyepieces in a scope pointing at sky, the lateral colours should show in the field stop. Most of wide field eyepieces should show some amount of lateral colours, some more than others.

In might sky, Lunar limb is the most eay way to see lateral colours. not as evident as daytime, but fairly easy to see too.

Archived