Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Televue Ethos 13mm First Light!!!

3 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

Nice report Richard.  I'm ever more tempted by top-of-the-range EPs!

I would recommend the upgrade to an 8SE - I love mine.  Recently had really stunning lunar views.  And it is very easy to carry, set up, move about.  I had considered an 11" Cat, but for a bigger aperture I'll eventually go for a Dob and a shorter FL.

Doug.

Cheers Doug they are worth the extra money in my opinion.

Its not just about the FOV it's about how much more  detail you can see.

concerning upgrading my scope I doubt I will ever have the room to go bigger then 8 which is why I think the 8se ota is a good choice.

Richard

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, mapstar said:

I can remember when we viewed at Winscar that time Richard.

You had mixed feelings about the 100deg field due to not being able to see the field stop and a concern about a curved field too.  This was probably because of the lack of familiarity for such a wide view.

I'm glad you have finally taken the plunge and found the benefits of these totally immersive eyepieces.

The 13E is the most used eyepiece in my case spending near on 90% of the focuser time in my scope giving me approx 168x. I could live without the others as this gives great contrast when at a truly dark site.

Enjoy it as it's a portal to the depths of the universe in HD :thumbright:

Cheers Damian I still think about that night and your 22" homemade dob incredible ?

I really wasn't sure I think purely because I was used to my 40mm Vixen and 25mm and 8mm plods like which were 40-50 FOV but once I purchased my ES 68 degree I grew to love using it and the extra FOV it provided.

I was planning on getting a Delos or 2 but the chance to buy the ethos come up the exact one I would want so I couldn't resist and obviously took the plunge so glad I did ?

Richard

On 04/04/2017 at 10:29, John said:

I succumbed to the Ethos in the order 13-8-6-21-4.7-3.7 :rolleyes2:

:eek: 

No 10mm?

No 17mm?

Come on John, you are just letting the side down :wink:

Nice report, Richard. My E13 will have to be torn from my cold, dead hand. A definite keeper :smile:

7 hours ago, DRT said:

:eek: 

No 10mm?

No 17mm?

Come on John, you are just letting the side down :wink:

Nice report, Richard. My E13 will have to be torn from my cold, dead hand. A definite keeper :smile:

I did own the 17mm Ethos for a short while Derek but I found I was skipping straight from the 21 to the 13 and I'm not so OCD that I'm going to have a £500+ eyepiece in the case that gathers dust so I let it go to another deserving owner :icon_biggrin:

I suspect the 10 would be the same.

They are both brilliant eyepieces though :icon_biggrin:

An enjoyable post. For me the 13 Ethos is the greatest EP of all time. I cannot possibly defend such a claim since, for one thing, I have probably tried fewer than a tenth of one percent of all EPs ever made. So, after careful re-consideration, I have decided that the 13 Ethos is... the greatest EP of all time...

:icon_biggrin:lly

That's a brilliant post Ollie, for wide field eps I believe there's no better EP but of course personal taste is a funny thing what works for one doesn't for another.

Its all about how the EP makes you feel and for me the 13 ethos makes me feel like I'm floating in space not looking through a telescope simple as that ☺

Richard

55 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

An enjoyable post. For me the 13 Ethos is the greatest EP of all time. I cannot possibly defend such a claim since, for one thing, I have probably tried fewer than a tenth of one percent of all EPs ever made. So, after careful re-consideration, I have decided that the 13 Ethos is... the greatest EP of all time...

:icon_biggrin:lly

I reckon I have probably tried fewer than a tenth of one percent of the EP's you have tried, Olly, and I completely and utterly agree that the E13 is the best EP ever made :grin:

After having my second session tonight I think I have to agree.

I didn't even notice the FOV tonight it was all in the detail of those glorious moons and beautiful bands of Jupiter and a transit of Granymede which I seriously thought was a spec on the EP or some sort of light reflection on the lense until I checked my Jupiter guide and it dawned on me what I was seeing ?

Not only that the detail on belts were beautiful equatorial/polar regions and temperate belts were all observable honestly I'm in shock ?

• 1 month later...
On 04/04/2017 at 12:22, Richard Hather said:

Haha this is true but my plan isn't upgrade and buy a couple more quality eps this year then next year upgrade to a 8se ☺

Richard

Nothing like sticking to a plan ?

Interesting read. @Mrs Racey and I are evaluating options in the 82* and 100* ranges for the new 14". 

Been a very helpful thread... :thumbsup:

On 04/04/2017 at 22:46, Richard Hather said:

Concerning upgrading my scope I doubt I will ever have the room to go bigger then 8 which is why I think the 8se ota is a good choice.

Richard

Ha ha ?

That went out of the window mighty quick !! ?

Haha honestly I think I was kidding myself, as soon as the wife said I could have the downstairs cupboard for storage of my scope I worked out how big I could go and went for it ?

I would have been pleased with a 8se no doubt but it's not a 12" that's for sure ?

Plans are great but there's always room for altering your plan, I'm still in love with my widefield eps my ES 20mm 100d and my ethos 13mm are stunning eps ?

I plan... ? to purchase 2 more eps I think I am leaning towards ES only because of the cost 9mm 100d and 30mm 82d both from reviews excellent eps ?

Hence the ??? a plan can always change I suppose but considering how much I enjoy using the 20mm I doubt it ES are quality eps for the price.

The 13mm does offer a bit more detail and clarity from what I've observed in the C6, can't wait to have a nice dark session with it in the 12" ?

If money was no issue I would have the 8mm ethos and 31mm nagler in a heartbeat and if I can swindle it i will have them but it's just so much money ???

1 hour ago, Racey said:

Nothing like sticking to a plan ?

Interesting read. @Mrs Racey and I are evaluating options in the 82* and 100* ranges for the new 14". 

Been a very helpful thread... :thumbsup:

You can't go wrong with 100* eps, I had a pentax Zoom for almost a year and got a real need for an EP with a bit more fov of course I went for the 13E and I've never regretted it ?

32 minutes ago, Richard Hather said:

You can't go wrong with 100* eps, I had a pentax Zoom for almost a year and got a real need for an EP with a bit more fov of course I went for the 13E and I've never regretted it ?

We've got a hatful of ES82*. It's whether we augment with some 100*... :icon_scratch:

19 minutes ago, Racey said:

We've got a hatful of ES82*. It's whether we augment with some 100*... :icon_scratch:

Interesting predicament depends what 82s you have I've heard of a lot of people once you have 3-4 100* eps you rarely use anything else but wouldn't hurt to have a few overlapping slightly.

I Also Barlow my 100* eps and they do Barlow well something else to consider.

Having used lots of different 82 and 100 degree eyepieces from different brands my feeling is that the brands have put their best into their 100 degree ranges. There is more to them in performance gain than just the wider field :icon_biggrin:

I also found that I needed less 100 degree eyepieces than I did 82 degree ones. Mind you, at what they cost, thats just as well !

Depends how varied your scopes are really. With one big dob, I can easily see how a 21-13-8 set of Ethos would do the trick, or even just the 21 and 8, but with a combination of scopes which have differing focal lengths you need more to cover all bases.

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Depends how varied your scopes are really. With one big dob, I can easily see how a 21-13-8 set of Ethos would do the trick, or even just the 21 and 8, but with a combination of scopes which have differing focal lengths you need more to cover all bases.

If only we had one scope ?

See signature... :icon_scratch:

I had the 21mm, 13mm and 8mm Ethos EPs and for some mad reason I sold them and switched to the ES82 range. After several months I knew that I had made a mistake so I bought a Myraid 20mm and 9mm EP which has proved to be very good EPs. Looking back the 13mm Ethos had to be the best EP that I had owned so I bought another. My EP collection still contains some ES82 EPs but these are the 6.7mm and 4.7mm.

In conclusion I won't be selling my 13mm Ethos this time.

Many wise words here for all

as Stu says in a big dob the 21 8 combo is more than enough along with a 2x powermate for deep sky observing...Mapstar uses mainly just the 13 e....

Archived