Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

alanjgreen

Getting ready for galaxy season ...

In preparation for the upcoming "galaxy season", I have been busy re-organising my eyepieces across my eyepiece boxes.

case3.jpg.939487642b1d245fdbebf56e9d5de0e3.jpg

I am expecting to be using a mix of traditional and a-focal night vision observing. Therefore, I have put together a "mixed" case of eyepieces. There is a little space remaining just in case I need to swap in a couple more (but I don't tend to go outside will all my eyepieces in one go as they only get cold and unuseable, I prefer to leave a couple inside for a mid-session warm eyepiece swap-in!

I have also created a new Sky Safari "brightest galaxies" observing list so I can target these larger/brighter galaxies with the night vision to hopefully tease out some views of unseen spiral arms? (most likely with the 55mm TeleVus Plossl) as focal speed is key to getting the arms. I may need to swap in the TeleVue Panoptic 27mm for more scale (but we will see)...

[Here is the Sky Safari Observing List that I will be using  Galaxy High Brightness.skylist  should you wish to try it too…(you can import it into your Sky Safari - just email it to yourself then when you try to open the file in the email app it should offer you the chance to "open with Sky Safari") ]

Having learned last year that night vision is not much help on the smaller galaxies (they just get overpowered by the super bright galaxy cores), I have the TeleVue Ethos 21, 13, 10 ready for some "traditional viewing" (with the option of swapping in the Ethos 8 as needed) on the smaller galaxies. I am eagerly awaiting the heavenly widefield views of endless galaxies as seen in Leo with the Ethos21 and the big dob!

Last year turned out to be a "Supernova Marathon" with seemingly weekly supernovas occuring over the UK (and I managed to bag EIGHT of them with the Big Dob).

1. NGC 3941 - SN2018pv
  2. UGC 5049 - SN2018pc
  3. NGC2746  - SN2018iq
  4. NGC3367 - SN2018kp
  5. NGC6217 - SN2018gj
  6. NGC3158 - SN2018aaz
  7. NGC2146 - SN2018zd
  8. NGC4151 - SN2018aoq

I can't see that happening two years running but I did bag SN AT2018ivc (in M77) on December 1st. Tonight I will be targeting SN2019np in NGC3254 so here's hoping...

Either way, I will need a good supply of clear sky, so lets hope our luck is in.

Wishing you the best for Galaxy season,

Alan

Edited by alanjgreen
  • Like 9

Nice :thumbsup:

My prep will be giving my mirror a wash,  giving the EPs a clean, then praying for the permacloud to shift on some other nights than those with a full moon!  It has been a desperately dissapointing last couple of months for getting the scope out here for me.

• Like 1

You’ve certainly got the gear to go fuzzy hoovering!

Coma was chasing Leo high in the sky when I finally called it quits about 3am on Tues morning. That is when I realised that I need to go shopping big time. Whilst my attempt to get by with just a set of TV Plossls was financially a very good idea, taking a decent sized Dob to play in the spring galaxy fields without something big & wide in the focuser, just isn’t right.

Here is hoping that the weather plays ball. And, good luck with the Supernova in NGC3254. My attempt on Monday night was inconclusive as I forgot to take a decent image with me to compare against.

Paul

Edited by Paul73
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, niallk said:

Nice :thumbsup:

My prep will be giving my mirror a wash,  giving the EPs a clean, then praying for the permacloud to shift on some other nights than those with a full moon!  It has been a desperately dissapointing last couple of months for getting the scope out here for me.

Beat you to it!

wash.jpg.b4a3a57da04a8ff60933284131507052.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Paul73 said:

Here is hoping that the weather plays ball. And, good luck with the Supernova in NGC3254. My attempt on Monday night was inconclusive as I forgot to take a decent image with me to compare against.

Paul

Yep, I bagged it

You’ve inspired me to get my EAA setup ready for galaxy season. The RC6@F4.5 + Lodestar gives a lovely FOV for brighter galaxies and fainter groups and clusters, and there’s a limitless supply of them. ?

• Like 1

Off to get some vodka for galaxy season....

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, estwing said:

Off to get some vodka for galaxy season....

Just don"t let any observing get in the way of a good drinking session?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bish said:

Just don"t let any observing get in the way of a good drinking session?

Got to keep the cold out somehow!

• Haha 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By etsatlo
      Looking to upgrade from my current 4.5" EQ reflector to an 8" Dob.
      Not particularly concerned with brand and don't mind used condition provided all is in good working order.
      Bundled accessories are a bonus (EPs and filters especially) though not a must.
      Based in North Wiltshire and happy to drive to collect within reasonable distance (<1hr30).
    • By Pogo007
      Hope someone with more experience than I, which basically means anyone that has successfully collimated a Newtonian, can answer a couple of compound questions I have based on my first and only attempt at secondary collimation of my SkyWatcher Flextube 250.
      1) All three of my secondary collimation screws were extremely snug before I did anything and I was only able to comfortably turn them counter-clockwise.  Is this normal?  Do I need to loosen all three screws first before I can properly start collimation?  Should I be turning any screw beyond "snug"?
      2) Before collimating, I placed a yellow sheet inside my OTA opposite my focuser tube and I placed a red sheet between my secondary and primary.  The view this gave through my focuser tube was of a red circle surrounded by a partial yellow ring (the secondary mirror stalk blocking a portion of this yellow annulus). While independently turning each of the secondary collimation screws counter-clockwise I looked down the focuser tube (both with and without a sight tube installed) expecting to see some change in the shape of the red area (more or less circular) and/or the yellow area (less or more even thickness).  I turned the screws no more that 2 complete revolutions.  I did not perceive any appreciable difference in what I saw and I turned each screw back (clockwise) to their original tightness before working with another of the screws.   Does it make sense that I didn't perceive any change?   Should I have turned the screws more revolutions?   Should I have loosened more than one at a time?
      Very confused and looking for your help.  Thanks
    • By alanjgreen
      Date: Thursday 7th March 2019. 2130-0300am
      Scope: 20” f3.6 Lukehurst Dob with Paracorr (fl = 2089mm & f4.1).
      Night Vision: PVS-14 with Photonis 4g INTENS.
      Eyepieces: Plossl 55mm (f2 x38), Panoptic 27mm (f4 x77), DeLite 18.2mm (f5.8 x115).
      Moon: 0%

Lets get cracking on the Supernovae.
      I had pre-prepared a list of eleven supernovae to be targeted (eight of these I had already viewed over the last 7 weeks so it would be a return trip to see if they have changed).

1 UGC3554 (mag 14.61)
      SN2019rz (distance from core 0.6”W & 0.1”S, Type IIn, mag 16.5 [Discovered 14/1/19])
      Yes - With the 18.2mm DeLite, the galaxy was quickly located and showed a hazy halo around a bright dot core/SN. I made a sketch of the surrounding star pattern to check later…

2 UGC3660 (mag 13.62)
      SN AT2018lkg (0.3”W & 0.9”N, Type IIn, mag 15.7 [Discovered 30/12/18])
      Yes - With the 18.2mm DeLite, the galaxy was quickly located and showed a flat disk around a bright dot core/SN. The SN seemed to be around the 5 o’clock position. There were two nearby stars to add to my sketch…

3 PGC 21253 (mag 15.6)
      SN2019ava (Type Ia, mag 16.8 [Discovered 08/2/19])
      Yes - With the 18.2mm DeLite, the galaxy was quickly located and showed a flat disk with two dots close together (blinking), one was the core and one was the SN. I sketched a star pattern “heart shaped” made of 10 bright stars.

4 PGC23042 (mag 15.1)
      SN AT2019azh (0.2”W & 0.1”S, Type unknown, mag 14.6 [Discovered 22/2/19])
      Yes - With the 18.2mm DeLite, the galaxy was quickly located and showed a circular disk with a bright centre. Maybe the core was slightly elongated, maybe wishful eyeball.

5 UGC4642 (mag 14.3)
      SN2018hfg (4.8”W & 7.7”S, Type IIn, mag 16.5 [Discovered 07/10/18])
      Yes – This is a good one. Last seen on 25/2 and seemed easier tonight. The galaxy is easy to find and is wrapped on three sides by 7 brighter stars. Three dots are see in the area of the galaxy, two in the disk (core & SN) plus one slightly further out (field star).

6 NGC3254 (mag 12.9)
      SN2019np (26.3”E & 67.8”N, Type Ia, mag 14.5 [Discovered 09/1/19])
      Yes – With the 18.2mm, the galaxy disk was large around a bright core. The SN was bright and easily see on the edge of the disk. I last viewed this SN on 17/1 and it is now much dimmer than it was back then, its brightness is now closer to the two field stars either side of the galaxy.

7 NGC3304 (mag 13.9)
      SN2019aik (6”E & 9.2”N, Type Ia, mag 15.9 [Discovered 30/1/19])
      Yes – With the 18.2mm, the galaxy disk appeared flat. The SN was a tough one and appeared just below the core at 7 o’clock position. I marked up the star pattern…

8 UGC6929 (mag 15)
      SN2019bm (40.5”W & 1.7”N, Type Ia, mag 16.5 [Discovered 02/1/19])
      Yes – another good one. The galaxy appears as a circular disk with the SN seen at the 2 o’clock position set back a decent distance from the core and outside the disk. Its nice to get an easy one for a change. I viewed it in both the 18.2mm & 27mm eyepiece.

9 UGC7367 (mag 13.3)
      SN2019arb (8.3”W & 5.7S, Type Ia, mag 16.7 [Discovered 08/2/19])
      No – The galaxy was easily located but the search for the SN was a failure. I also failed to find it on 26/2 but I did see it on 15/2. I notice that Rochester has updated the brightness to mag 18 this morning so that’s the last of this one.

10 UGC7534 (mag 14.5)
      SN2018hna (6”E & 3”N, Type II, mag 15.6 [Discovered 22/10/18])
      Yes – This remains a very easy target. 27mm eyepiece. The SN is a decent distance from the core and makes a bright oblong shape with the core and two field stars. There is a small field star in between the core and SN. The galaxy disk is just a tiny fleck to one side of the core.

11 UGC 8577 (mag 13.62)
      SN2019va (16.2”W & 17.6”N, Type IIP, mag 16.3 [Discovered 16/1/19])
      No – I tried with 18.2mm & 27mm but there was no sign of the SN. I did observe this one on 15/2.

It was a bit of a marathon, it took me 3 hours to get through these targets. I was aided by my Nexus push-to and a Sky Safari observing list that I created earlier in the day.
      I spent the rest of my night outside continuing to work on the "Brightest Galaxies with NV" list. It was a pretty cold night and both me and the scope were a little iced up by the time I packed up at 3am.

Clear Skies,
      Alan

• By alanjgreen
      Date: Tuesday 26th February 2019. 1945-0250am
      Eyepieces: Plossl 55mm (f2 x38), Panoptic 35mm (f3 x60), Panoptic 27mm (f4 x77), DeLite 18.2mm (f5.8 x115).
      Filters: Chroma 5nm Ha filter. Baader 610nm red.
      Moon: 0%

At last a clear sky!
      The weather forecast has been promising clear skies for several nights only to end up with high level clouds and general greyness to the sky. Yesterday it was clear blue skies all day long and this remained unchanged when the sun went down.
      I had been out for a few hours the night before (with good transparency) and was planning to go out later last night but the clear sky was too much to suffer and at 1930 I got my kit ready and headed down to the shed…

Just in time to catch the last of Orion before its too late!
      Orion is now well placed from the shed at 1900 so there was no delay in getting started on some winter nebulae. Once 2-star alignment was completed, I loaded the 55mm Plossl, Chroma 5nm Ha filter and connected the PVS-14 via the TNVC/TeleVue a-focal adapter.

California – The scope was positioned right next to NGC1499 so that’s where I started. The California nebula was very bright and clear. I nudged around and took in some of the now well-trodden and newly named “by me” features – the crown (at one end), the funnel (the other end), the flap (rear wing flag near the crown), the long curving tail, the whale’s eye. After studying the dark lakes within I moved onto the Flaming Star.
      Flaming Star, IC410, IC417, sh2-230 – All these objects are now taken “as one”, they are all joined together by lanes of nebula generally known as sh2-230 and there are a couple of stand out shapes/regions that really should be classified separately (in my opinion). Anyway, the Flaming star was not looking quite as good as the previous night (when it really was lush and 3D like in the main flame section). Tonight, I had to work harder to see the “mountains and lakes”, the bright shimmering “horseshoe” section. The twin right angle corners were faint indeed but the long tail did offer some bright nebulosity. The faint surrounding nebula trails leads me to the “Spider”.
      IC417 – was showing the full frown shape (I have seen it more contrasty) but this was an improvement on recent visits. I dropped down to the “fly” below (NGC1931).
      IC410 – Is the pick of the bunch in this region. Again, it was not as giving as the previous night but still offered the full “Feline” feeling! It now reminds me of the face of a cat, with the tadpoles making the “nose” and a nearby bright section making the “cheek”.

After looking at Sky Safari and wanting to avoid the same route as the previous night, next up were some nearby Sharpless nebulae…
      Sh2-263 – a large bright cloud with a central star.
      Sh2-265 – A faint traceable “C” shape. This area seems to have background nebulosity and its easy to become distracted whole wanting to see just sh2-265.
      Sh2-262 – A large traceable shape with easy edges.
      Sh2-260 – Now added to my “best of Sharpless” list. Its an interesting target that’s  a but like a stretched out and thinner California. The centre is “pinched in” to make a narrower thread section. The RHS expands like an upside-down “spade”.
      Flame & HH – I tried a few EPs here and its clear that the Flame responds to focal ratio and was at its best and brightest in the 55mm Plossl. The Horsehead can take more magnification but you still need focal ratio to keep the white line in IC434 in the view – 35mm Panoptic the winner here.
      NGC1975 - I now head down to my target of the month “January” which is the “Running Man”. I have been revisiting and sketching this target whenever possible over the last 8 weeks and I am now starting to get some success with the “black trousers” within. Again, playing with various EPs, I find that the bright nebulosity is best with the 55mm Plossl (but the black trousers are toughest). With the 35mm and 27mm Panoptic the bright nebula is reduced in brightness but the black trousers (edges to begin with, then dark areas) are more prominent. I was pleased with the view in the 27mm Panoptic where the right leg was pretty good. It is a target where you cannot get it “all in one go”, you have to work a section at a time but there is joy to be had.
      M42 and M43 were visited and I have described then many times before. I could see 5 stars in the trapezium with the 55mm Plossl for the first time AND I seemed to be holding a small star right in the centre of the trapezium too. I had a look away and then back the eyepiece – this central star was still there!
      Rosette – The King of nebula! I used the 35mm Panoptic and spent quite some time taking in every inch of this lush nebula. The black vein details were really clear last night. The three little nebula patches within the central star cluster were there to.
      Sh2-280 – Not visited for a while, so I nudged down from the Rosette to a large clear patch of nebulae with stars and dark patches visible within.
      Then onto sh2-282 & sh2-283 before visiting sh2-284 (now added to my “best of Sharpless” list too)
      Sh2-284 – An easily seen large patch of varying brightnesses. The brightest edge has 3x2 stars and then the edge curves and heads back over the top.
      I continue on through sh2-285, sh2-286, sh2-287 & finally sh2-288.

A spot of general viewing.
      I now remove the Chroma filter and go unfiltered for some clusters.
      M48 – Was a bit washed out at first so I added the 610nm red filter to darken things up a bit. Now the cluster was a little better and I can give it a bit more gain to brighten the stars.
      M67 – A big improvement on M48. There are a lot more stars on offer including a majority of seemingly similar fainter stars.
      M44 – After @Nyctimene's posting on galaxies hidden in M44, I decided to centre it up. It was a lovely bright cluster with some really bright sharp stars. I nudged around but with the 55mm Plossl, none of the tiny galaxies were seen.

A sweep through some comets.
      C/123P West-Hartley – This comet was tough to spot even though it turned out that Sky Safari had it spot on. It really is very small but once located it was easy to observe and definitely a comet!
      On Monday night, I observed
      C/2018 Y1 – 27mm. dot core and large dust halo. Easily seen.
      C/38P Stephan-Oterma – much smaller and tougher than Y1. Small dot core and faint dust halo (sometimes obscuring the core).
      C/46P Wirtanen – A bigger comet than Y1 & 38P. Small dust halo around a larger core.

How many galaxies?
      It was now about midnight and I turned my attention to galaxies.
      NGC2903 – To test the conditions, I headed for 2903 where I have had glorious double arm views recently. Tonight the sky was not “the best” but I could see the core and long bar section. The bar ends were brighter. With averted there was a double arm on the top RHS. A single faint curve of an arm could be seen lower LHS.
      NGC2683 edge-on. A bright core and large dust disk. Definite appearance of a black leading edge.
      NGC6929 & SN AT2019bm – time for a supernova and I headed for NGC6929. The galaxy was easily seen and centred. I had not seen an image of this galaxy but knew the SN was 40” from the centre. After some time spent looking, I started to see a faint dot above the galaxy and made a star sketch. I managed to find an image on the “transient name server” ( https://wis-tns.weizmann.ac.il/object/2019bm ) and with my sketched triangle of stars matched up then the faint dot was in the right place so it seems that I saw it!
      On Monday night, I observed
      UGC3554 & SN2019rz – With the 27mm, the SN was coming and going. I made a sketch that matched the location image.
      UGC4642 & SN2018hfg – The 27mm showed two dots within the galaxy. One was the SN.
      NGC3304 & SN2019aik – Both the 55mm and 35mm views split the SN from the core as a double. Sketch later showed that I had it.

I now worked my way through the “brightest galaxies” using my Sky Safari observing list. I shall not list them all here, just mention a few…
      3294 – A small dot core with a nice swirly disk.
      3184 – A larger face-on. Core and central bar seen. There is an outer “circle” where the arms are but the arms are not seen.
      2841 – Mostly edge-on. Seems to have a black lane underneath that sweeps back around LHS.
      3226 & 3227 – A pair of different sized galaxies. Both have dot core and dust disk. One disk is longer than the other and the angles are not the same.
      3186 & 3190 & 3193 & 3187 – Three in a row, plus a faint easy to miss to the left of the centre galaxy!
      M96 – Core and bright bar. Disk swirly in appearance. Black areas above & below. No arms tonight.
      M66 – Nice. Large bar spirals seen. Arm LHS up and over, arm RHS down and under.
      M65 – Sits next to M66, smaller and its arms are reversed. LHS down and RHS up.
      3628 – Long black lane in a white disk sandwich. The disk is wider and brighter underneath. Brightest bit is the central bulge.
      3521 – bright core & decent size disk. Disk looks swirly.
      UGC7367 & SN2019arb = FAILURE. I could not get the SN tonight. I had this one on 15th February so maybe it was the conditions or its now fainter?
      UGC8577 & SN2019va = FAILURE. I also had this one on 15th February so maybe it was the conditions or its now fainter?
      M51 – not my best ever view but a decent view. The bridge is not easily seen in entirety and the outer arm is shorter than I have seen it on occasions. I can see black detailing within the arm above the core and down the RHS of the core.
      M101 – A decent view. Its always amazing to me how you have to let M101 come to you. On first glimpse you see some arm details but it takes time for the brain to notice the finer sections and the more you look the more you see. It’s a great target and up there with M33 for the best there is! I made a quick sketch of “tonights arm structure”.
      M94 – core with halo around. Averted shows a circle of black outside the halo. No arms tonight.
      4618 & 4625 – A nice pair of spirals. One is larger with a bar and an arm up and over. The small one also has some structure.
      Cocoon – A large swirly galaxy, bending over at one end towards a tiny galaxy sitting underneath.
      4449 – Nice & bright. Strange shaped object.
      M106 – A winner. Core with central bar. Arms on both sides, plenty of galaxy dust around the inner arms area.
      4559 – Unusual (almost irregular) shape. Bright.
      Needle – great. Very long with averted vision. Dot core and bright central bulge. Long black lane runs along the leading edge.
      4725 – good one. Spiral arms seen, they are faint and circular.
      4536 – An interesting one. Small with faint circular arms.
      M61 – similar to 4536 but with increased contrast. I see swirly arms and glimpses of longer arm further out.

Time to sweep up galaxies en-mass.
      I head into Virgo and Markarians chain. I get my chair setup and begin to sweep forward as far as I can reach, then nudge up a bit and sweep all the way back, up & forward, up and back…
      I pause as galaxies pass through the fov and ponder the variation in size, shape, brightness. Disk or no disk, Bar or no bar. A few really faint one pass by. Then we have the long thin twigs of the edge-ons. Occasionally a nice one appears and I pause and check Sky Safari for an id?
      On many occasions there are several to see in the same fov, these are easily compared and ranked. Some are close by and interacting like the Antenna galaxies other just seem to be non-speaking neighbours but its clear that these tiny objects are a long way from my back garden and I will never get a chance to visit them but its just so amazing that I can actually see them.

Time to call it a night.
      The Moon (red in the atmosphere) is just appearing over the Pennines and my cat is back for her third visit over the shed wall “Its time to come inside” she seems to be telling me. I decide that I agree and after lifting her onto the floor, I slide the roof closed...

Clear Skies,
      Alan
    • By alanjgreen
      Date: Saturday 23rd Feb. 2230-0005am
      Eyepieces: Plossl 55mm (f2 x38), Panoptic 35mm (f3 x60), Panoptic 27mm (f4 x77), DeLite 18.2mm (f5.8 x115).
      Moon: 80% (after 2330)

After a long wait.
      This had been a depressing week as far as stargazing goes. First we had the full moon to spoil the party and then the recurring excitement of “clear weather forecasts failing to materialize” (Thur, Fri and seemingly Saturday too).
      After consoling myself by working through the many series of “Prime Suspect” during the week and making regular trips to the window to peep outside “Is it clear yet?”. I was finally taken by surprise last night at 10pm when I saw a CLEAR SKY looking back at me!

At least I had a plan prepared!
      A couple of days back, I had done some research on http://www.rochesterastronomy.org/supernova and identified six potential supernovae to target (when the moon was not there!). I had setup an “observing list in Sky Safari 5” and had make sketches of star positions from images where available. It seemed that most of my targets have not yet been imaged but Rochester gives the distances from the galaxy core so I could see they were all “close-in”. As my dob uses Nexus push-to then it’s a simple job to nudge over to the galaxy target once 2-star alignment has been completed!

Let the supernovae hunt begin...
      UGC3554/SN2019rz/Type IIn/Stated mag 16.5
      Located 0.6”W and 0.1”N and one image available (Thanks Cedric!).
      I was not sure whether I would still be able to get the dob onto this most westerly of my target list (due to the time and dob location in the shed) but luckily it was still available to me!
      I started with the 35mm Panoptic (x60 magnification) and the galaxy disk was easily seen and centred in the fov. I could see a clear dot in the galaxy haze. I tried more magnification with the DeLite 18.2 but the view was not as sharp as seen with less magnification (The sky was very “wet” last night and the scope was damp after only 20 minutes outside!). I then moved to the Panoptic 27mm (x77) and got the best view of the galaxy and tiny bright dot centred within.

UGC4642/SN2018hfg/Type IIn/ Stated mag 16.5
      I tried 35mm, 27mm 18.2mm and 55mm eyepieces. They all showed the galaxy disk and a central dot. Surprisingly the 55mm showed a double dot within the tiny galaxy (one of the dots is the SN). The 27mm provided a better scale for the galaxy and with time at the eyepiece, the double dot came in and out of view.

NGC3304/SN2019aik/Type 1a/Stated may 15.9
      NGC3304 appeared as a very tiny galaxy in the 55mm Plossl, I was distracted by a much larger galaxy just outside the fov (NGC3294 – which showed clear structure and I noted it for a return visit). As I nudged right the tiny NGC3304 was just discernible and showed a bright central dot.
      I switched to the 27mm Panoptic and the galaxy was much larger and easier to see and centre in the eyepiece. The bright central dot stood out within. I could not separate the core from the SN in this tiny galaxy so we need to try again.

My other three targets had not yet reached points in the sky where I could get the big dob pointing at them, so that was that for my supernova search for tonight.

Let’s see what traditional higher power observing can do?
      I removed the NVD and eyepiece and switched to the Ethos10 (x200) only. I settled at the eyepiece and started to make out the galaxy in the fov. The FOV felt huge compared to the 40 degrees of the NVD but the galaxy was more of a challenge to grab with my eyeball. It was certainly larger in this fov but was so much fainter that I struggled to hold it in my vision.
      I nudged back to UGC4642 and attempted to see SN2018hfg with the ethos10. The experience was similar again with the galaxy now much fainter than with Night Vision and much more of a challenge to see anything within the galaxy disk.
      Of course, the sky was wet (as stated earlier) and by now the Devils Orb was brightening the sky too, so I will make the same attempt and comparison again in the coming week of darker skies.

Thoughts of the observer.
      It’s amazing what you can see with the 55mm Plossl (and night vision) at only x38 magnification. You assume that more magnification is better but with NV the faster focal ratio of the 55mm Plossl (when used a-focally is key). These tiny galaxies are very faint but they are just obvious when viewed with NV. Supernovae hunting is proving that the extra magnification of the 18.2 DeLite and 27mm Panoptic are useful tools too, sometimes you just need the extra scale to reveal fainter stars that are just not seen in the 55mm Plossl. This is the first time, I have gone after SN before images are available so it was intriguing to see if I could spot them “first”! Of course, close in to the core SN are hopefully more easy to discern and further out SN would surely need the star chart sketch to confirm if you see them or not? It is also clear that Galaxies are greatly improved with Night Vision (mostly – there are exceptions where the core seems too large and over powers the disk or the galaxy does not give off enough red for the NV to improve the view or the galaxy is just too large and spreadout over the fov) they are much easier to pick out and most bright galaxies reveal details in the disks that are a joy to see. Generally, I have been surprised at the quality and detail of the galaxy views on offer so far this galaxy season plus those beyond reach previously that are now “in play” too. NGC3294 was a surprise to me, it is not in my “brightest galaxy list” but it was large and detailed in the 35mm Panoptic (I have now added it to my “Brightest Galaxy observing list” to ensure future revisits when the moon is gone).  
      Lets hope we get more clear sky over the next 2 weeks when galaxies will be our main focus of attention and before the Orb waxes once more!

Clear Skies,
      Alan

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.