Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Newbie Skywatcher here - Hello All

obsessednewbie

Evening All

I have been an avid sky watcher for years.  It just fascinates me.  I am now in a position to buy a telescope - what a minefield that is????  So i will spend as long as i can doing my homework to find the best budget telescope i can buy as an absolute beginer.

Looking forward to chatting with you, and maybe getting a little advice too along the way. 

Thanks for having me

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the SGL.

Sorry to be the second to recommend a Dobsonian, but they are good. Took me one night to decide I needed this type of scope, after using an Equatorial mounted scope?

Have a good look around the site, decide what your interests are and fire away with your questions, just remember, one telescope can't do it all,  just like a 13mm spanner in a tool box, not so good for 14 or 15mm nuts but great on a 13mm nut? the telescope could be more of an adjustable, tries to be good at everything, or so we expect? 

You`ll see in several of the users signatures, several scopes, for this reason. I feel that my 8" telescope is a good starter scope that may last a lifetime, if I don't buy a slightly bigger one :icon_biggrin:

Hi, thanks for the advice.  At first i thought i wanted one with a tripod, now im looking into a table top one.  Funny enough i have been looking a dobsonian this evening.  Just still looking and learning though. I want something to start and focus with and add to when i become more confident.  I am buying to observe rather than photograph.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IOLZBXI?keywords=Dobsonian&qid=1453759329&ref_=sr_1_7&sr=8-7      ??

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007WRYAUK?keywords=Dobsonian&qid=1453759329&ref_=sr_1_5&sr=8-5     This one looks more like a toy?

Thanks again

The more information you can give us - the better we can begin to make some suggestions. Such as: Have you given any thought to what you'd like to see/look at through a telescope? Where abouts do you think you'll be doing your observations from - city? Suburb? Country? And the always-good-for-a-scream: How much money can you part with?

As you let your thoughts take form - Welcome to SGL! It's certainly nice to have you aboard.

Clear & dark skies,

Dave

Thanks all for the lovely welcome.  I would love to see the moon and beyond but for starters, babysteps.  So moon, jupiter, learning how to search and focus.    I need books and more knowledge to grow this fantastic hobby but for now i would like to spend £100 max.  Initially it was £70, so ive added a smidge. I would also like it to be portable to take camping, holidays, park etc..

Are there generic lenses etc i can add to any telescope as i grow in confidence.??

Thanks again

obsessednewbie.....yesterday you quoted " i will spend as long as i can doing my homework to find the best budget telescope i can buy as an absolute beginer!"

Within 24 hours  you added a 'smidge' of £30?

If you spent another 7 days adding a 'smidge' everyday, or take a little longer adding  'smidges'   you will soon have enough to afford a decent telescope for an absolute beginner !

There is not much out there for £70-100 that will knock your socks off, and even a 200P like mine may not blow your socks of when looking at some of the  major Planets, especially if the conditions don't allow,  and the image of say Jupiter may appear too small in the eyepiece, however looking at the Moon at over 200x power will blow your socks off, and I have seen some amazing images of Jupiter in the past when the conditions allowed ?

It all depends on what you expect from a telescope, the glossy images in the magazines are a work of art and require time and sensors to 'see' that detail, eyes alone  just cant do it!

There is also nothing wrong with starting out and getting yourself a pair of binoculars whilst learning and better understanding your requirements from a telescope.
Sussex.......not sure if you can see the Sea, but binoculars would also have a day time role, whereas not all telescopes are suitable for use during the Day?

20 hours ago, Charic said:

obsessednewbie.....yesterday you quoted " i will spend as long as i can doing my homework to find the best budget telescope i can buy as an absolute beginer!"

Within 24 hours  you added a 'smidge' of £30?

If you spent another 7 days adding a 'smidge' everyday, or take a little longer adding  'smidges'   you will soon have enough to afford a decent telescope for an absolute beginner !

There is not much out there for £70-100 that will knock your socks off, and even a 200P like mine may not blow your socks of when looking at some of the  major Planets, especially if the conditions don't allow,  and the image of say Jupiter may appear too small in the eyepiece, however looking at the Moon at over 200x power will blow your socks off, and I have seen some amazing images of Jupiter in the past when the conditions allowed ?

It all depends on what you expect from a telescope, the glossy images in the magazines are a work of art and require time and sensors to 'see' that detail, eyes alone  just cant do it!

There is also nothing wrong with starting out and getting yourself a pair of binoculars whilst learning and better understanding your requirements from a telescope.
Sussex.......not sure if you can see the Sea, but binoculars would also have a day time role, whereas not all telescopes are suitable for use during the Day?

Thank you - thats all incredibly helpful.  The smidge has moved on from November when i decided right enough is enough i must have a telescope.  Im out every evening just watching the sky in the back garden and i want more.  I dont desire (yet) glossy images, hell just looking at the moon from my back garden has me in awe, so to see that just a little closer would be amazing.  Then comes the draw of wanting to see more and more of the sky.  

I am rather overwhelmed with all that is out there with regards to telescopes and thanks for the point about the scope being able to be used during the day - i hadnt really thought about the telescope not being as useable during the day.

I think to start i need to learn how to search and track, join a class and learn some terminology.

Thanks a lot for all your help

as well would be good

Welcome

You may decide binoculars would be your next step, they will always have a use and I don't think I saw them mentioned. I regularly just use our 8*42 for a quick look.

Binnocularsky.com for reviews and facts and a news letter emailed on what to see each month.

Stellarium is brilliant software for what is up there, free to install and use.

Take your time choosing and searching. If you are into diy you could build a dobsonian base to go with a reflector tube only you might find.

Archived