Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Welcome to the new SGL!

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't read through the whole thread (SORRY!), I realise that many people don't like imposed change and so the new theme will take a little time to become familiar to everyone, myself included. What I would like to day though is thanks to all the admins/mods/background geeks that maintain the site and try to stay on top of update like this to keep the forums spam free, safe and secure for all of us at no cost. Much appreciated and congrats on getting everything up and running so quickly. Look forward to trying out the new site and hunting around ;)

Wow... come back on here to trace a few images in my observatory post and it's all changed.

I remember a lot of the teething  issues and upset the last major change had, so I'm not going to comment on that.... other than it looks fine on first impression.  What is annoying is that around 80% of the images in my posts are still missing even though, judging by the comments in the first post this should now of been completed in the background...  Hopefully it will sort itself out soon ?

3 minutes ago, malc-c said:

Wow... come back on here to trace a few images in my observatory post and it's all changed.

I remember a lot of the teething  issues and upset the last major change had, so I'm not going to comment on that.... other than it looks fine on first impression.  What is annoying is that around 80% of the images in my posts are still missing even though, judging by the comments in the first post this should now of been completed in the background...  Hopefully it will sort itself out soon ?

The rebuild tasks are still running but, I've checked your posts going back a few months and can't find any where the attachments are missing? I see images on all posts where it looks like there should be images, can you PM me an example where it's missing so I can check?

29 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

... as you type text in the edit box it is still white.

21 minutes ago, Steve said:

I see it is also still bright white in some signatures too. We'll look into this. 

It appears we cannot influence the text colour people select for their signatures (if someone chooses bright white then it remains bright white) but the text used in the editor has been toned down. 

HTH

8 minutes ago, Grant said:

The rebuild tasks are still running but, I've checked your posts going back a few months and can't find any where the attachments are missing? I see images on all posts where it looks like there should be images, can you PM me an example where it's missing so I can check?

Grant, thanks for the quick reply.  If you click on the observatory build thread in my signature,  a lot of the later build images after the first few pages are missing.   

EG Page 17.... there's reference to an update, with subsequent posts saying how things look and comments on the tiles... but no images

20 minutes ago, bunnygod1 said:

Thanks i thought it might not be as the new lay out is more mobile friendly.

Yes, Tapatalk was being used less and less but continued to be the most burdensome part of the forum to maintain and update. This new forum software has a much better mobile theme so hopefully it will soon become familiar and you will no longer miss Tapatalk. 

I don't like the 'Show More Topics' method of moving through pages of posts. If I move (for example) down 5 pages and spot a couple of unread posts I want to read, then click on one and read it, then press my mouse's Back button - it takes me back to the top of the list again! That's 5 extra pages I have to scroll through to get back where I was...

ChrisH

6 minutes ago, Steve said:

Yes, Tapatalk was being used less and less but continued to be the most burdensome part of the forum to maintain and update. This new forum software has a much better mobile theme so hopefully it will soon become familiar and you will no longer miss Tapatalk. 

Tapa-who? :icon_biggrin:

3 minutes ago, ChrisLX200 said:

I don't like the 'Show More Topics' method of moving through pages of posts. If I move (for example) down 5 pages and spot a couple of unread posts I want to read, then click on one and read it, then press my mouse's Back button - it takes me back to the top of the list again! That's 5 extra pages I have to scroll through to get back where I was...

ChrisH

Agree with you on this - I was going to post it on the forum developers board but this has already been mentioned to them lots of times and they are working on a change for a future release so you will be able to go back to where you were in the activity stream.

I think the new lay out is very good, as with anything new, you have to get used to it, technology changes very quickly so it

good to keep up, it's like getting a new phone or computer, you have to learn how to use it, I'm sure once everything is in place

we all will be fine with the new version, thank you to everyone who put in all the hard work, which is for our benefit, and it is making

the site more secure too, so well done and many thanks for such a great forum.  

In old posts/topics prior to the upgrade, all quote boxes have gone, making even multi quoted posts seem like a single post

Also, there are no images visible, on for sale ads, prior to the new forum build.

32 minutes ago, trazor said:

In old posts/topics prior to the upgrade, all quote boxes have gone, making even multi quoted posts seem like a single post

Also, there are no images visible, on for sale ads, prior to the new forum build.

Can you give me an example of where quotes are broken? That part of the rebuild should have completed by now.

4 minutes ago, Grant said:

Can you give me an example of where quotes are broken? That part of the rebuild should have completed by now.

My apologies, both my queries seem to have resolved themselves in the last 45 minutes.

My first reaction is the topic text is lost amongst the rest of the page. It's the same size as everything else and this should be a simple thing to change in the css or template files from the default. A lot of the time there's more signature text than topic content (which often repeats depending on the number of posts on a page from the same person).

There is no need for so much vertical space taken up for the username and 'posted x minutes ago' bar, this could be a lot thinner, and therefore sleeker, reducing the amount of wasted space and unnecessary scrolling on long pages. The same could appy to the '+' and 'quote' buttons, they're too big. The topic text should stand out from the rest of the page, after all, without the topic text, the site would be pretty dull.

Again, having had my own forum a couple of years ago (phbb based) it is easy to tweak these in the skin files, or direct in the css.

Other than that, it's still here and available!

2 hours ago, Steve said:

The 'Recent Topics', 'Latest Classifieds', etc, side-bar menus are back (right-hand side if you are using a desktop) :smile:

These new sidebars work better than before - they disappear automatically if you are using a small screen. 

All my issues with the new layout are resolved!

Cheers!

~pip

Can posts be displayed "latest first" in a thread?

I know it wasn't possible before. But now with the latest update I'm hoping SGL will have caught up with a lot of other forums in this respect. 

Sorry if this has been asked already. 

10 minutes ago, Gasman said:

Hi guys

How do I stop this popping up -

sglnotifications.png.1d20547ab154f7399f5

every time I click a link? please

thanks

Steve

Try checking your Mozilla / Firefox set-up, if that's what you choose. Not sure its an SGL forced issue?

( Notifications permission controls in the Firefox options )

9 minutes ago, Gasman said:

Hi guys

thanks

Steve

Next time it shows up, click the down arrow next to "Show for this session" and select the "Never show" or something along those lines.

Or, click the green padlock next to the back button before the start of the URL bar and change the thing that says permissions: show notifications to "block"

Hope this helps!

~pip

14 minutes ago, Gasman said:

Hi guys

thanks

Steve

I have never seen that before. Grant will probably know but I am guessing it isn't part of SGL.  

Just now, Steve said:

I have never seen that before. Grant will probably know but I am guessing it isn't part of SGL.  

It's a firefox thing. SGL wants to show notifications on the desktop/in other tabs and the browser wants to make sure the user is OK with that.

Archived