SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Welcome to the new SGL!

4 minutes ago, Grant said:

Yes slight glitch earlier - we are still tweaking and tuning things to suit the new software.

I removed the error message from your post.

Should be possible to turn off the display of error messages on-screen in the PHP config shouldn't it, Grant?  Always worries me, that.  I think it should be the default not to display the message in the HTML.  You never know when something might go wrong and expose sensitive information in the error.

James

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Grant said:

Yes slight glitch earlier - we are still tweaking and tuning things to suit the new software.

I removed the error message from your post.

Also how remiss of me - I forgot to say thankyou to you and the SGL team for all your hard work on the upgrade! It's no mean feat doing a migration on this scale. It won't please everyone but I'm sure we'll all get used to it! The content is what matters most to me anyway.

Regards
John

I too am still trying to find my way around the new site. I can't say I feel comfortable with it, things aren't as self evident as they used to be, at least not to a geriatric who is not, nor likely to be, part of the facebook generation. As seems usual with any site makeover these days, you need to do more clicking/tapping to get to where you want to get to. Anyway, I'll need to give it time.

I have a couple of questions if I may please.

1. If you want to put pictures in the body of text, like one used to be able to do easily, rather than at the end of the post, how do you do it?
  2. With the last site it was easy to select, for example, either posts which I have contributed to, or all new posts, and these selections were sticky. But now it seems that every time I want to view all new posts, rather than say those I haven't read, I have to set this in a pop-up window each time I access the site. What's the method of simply defaulting to my saved preference please?

Thanks

Ian

Grant is the IT wizard, I am most definitely not so have been quietly finding my way around the new forum, like most other members, familiarising myself with the layout and discovering new features. 

The 'Activity' button (top-left) and the ability to tag people's usernames (i.e. @Steve) are well worth investigating and only this morning I discovered, when viewing a list of posts, if you hover over one for a second or two you can see a preview of the first and last post in that discussion. I like that :smile: 

Getting to grips with the new style now, had to start using a different browser on my phone as the above mentioned "blobs" were not showing and some navigational buttons were not responding. More importantly I was totally lost for the day SGL was down, didn't realise just how many times during the course of a day that I logged in :shocked:

Anyway thanks for such a great place to hang out :icon_salut:

4 hours ago, ChrisLX200 said:

I tried using the forum on my iPad last night, but tapping the 'Activity' button in order to select my custom activity settings just results in a screen refresh rather than the ability to choose an item from the drop-down box. No matter what I did I could not choose anything as the menu never stayed on the screen long enough.

ChrisH

have you tried holding down the button? This the works like a pop-up on mine and I can select the sub-menu options. I'm not an iPad user though, so don't know if it works the same way.

On 24/01/2016 at 09:21, admin said:
  • View new content - has been replaced with an 'Activity' button (top-left). It uses the ‘streams’ concept (similar to the wall feed on Facebook) which enables you to keep track of everything happening on the forum. You can also choose what you do/don’t want to see. I.e. if you aren't interested in status updates, you can ignore those. If you want to follow a particular forum and nothing else, you can :) This powerful new feature grows more useful the more you use it (we are currently using default streams but we shall create more and you can create your own). 

I got quite excited when I saw this feature as I thought it would make it possible for me to create a 'stream' that would show new posts in just the forums that I'm most interested in. So, I 'followed' each forum that I'm interested in then created a new stream and changed it to 'only content that I follow', but it didn't work as I expected :( I see content in the stream from threads that I've previously followed but not from the forums that I've now followed.

Am I expecting too much, or is there a way to do this?

cheers,

Robin

I spent about an hour last night exploring every thing that could possibly be clicked and found some new stuff which i like, some stuff i personally find pointless and some stuff that i just dont understand.

I'm pretty familiar now with the new site and find it quite functional and user friendly overall. It seems a tad slower to load new pages as i navigate around the site but nothing worth complaining about. Ive set the notification to only alert me when someone starts a conversation with me or likes a comment i made............so the same as the old site.

The "submit reply" takes a good few seconds longer then before to save and post comments. I'm in no rush, happy to wait.

37 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Love the look & feel, but where do I set site settings ??  I ask as new notifications have a sound associated with them, but I wish to disable this feature...

Click on  your  name, select account settings then select Notification Settings...........Tick (default)  or untick the  sound option!

HTH

Not sure if any one else has the same problem but when using my IPad I cannot scroll the notifications properly. Sometimes it does other times not. I find it very difficult to use.

As others have noted I did get lots of emails about every thing under the sun. Why? Could you not have defaulted to none in the settings to begin with rather than having it switched on initially?

The previous version of the SGL software allowed me to follow all the posts I had participated in from what now seems to be the Notifications (world Symbol). I seem to have lost all the things I was following before.

I am probably doing it all wrong, but I really am struggling with the new system. Any help appreciated.

Well done anyway to all concerned, not an easy undertaking!

Derek

The new forum looks great! I'm feeling a little lost at the moment but I'm sure that I will soon find my way around. Many thanks to everyone that must have put in an incredible amount of work to do this upgrade! I work in IT so I have an idea of what would have been involved and I'm guessing that you don't manage this site for a living. So hat's off to you guys! :hello2: 

5 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

In the "Content I Follow" section (Activity|My Acticity Streams):
(1) How do I get it to display each thread once, rather than every post in the thread?
(2) Which button do I press to get it to take me to the first unread post in the thread?
Thanks.

In addition to these two questions, it appears that the system is no longer adding threads that I comment on automatically to my "follow" list? Does this mean I will have to add them all manually?

Thanks

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Hi Grant,

Is there a setting to jump to the latest unread post in a thread, rather than start at the beginning?

Sorry if that's been asked before!

Stu

Stu

Click on the little white circle to the left of the thread title

Cheers

Steve

"As others have noted I did get lots of emails about every thing under the sun. Why? Could you not have defaulted to none in the settings to begin with rather than having it switched on initially?"

That happened to me when i used Cloudy Nights . It was a nighmare. What i did here on SGL was go into the notifications settings and switched off everything apart from the 2 options of :

Let me know when someone likes a comment i posted.

Let me know when someone starts a conversation with me.

The only thread ive ever followed is BazAsign's Iron-Man suit and i have not changed any setting and i get an email alert whenever a new post is made.

Followed items were carried across from the old forum - you can see everything you follow here: https://stargazerslounge.com/followed/

To check if you are automatically following things you start or reply to or change how you get notified - e.g through email or through the notification list then check your notification settings: https://stargazerslounge.com/notifications/options/ scroll right down on this page to see all the different settings there are quite a few.

Some of these options are different now or may have changed the 'default' option so you may need to tweak these to give you the experience you are looking for.

@aeajr @Dave In Vermont

Hi all, Ed, Dave,

11 hours ago, aeajr said:

Not sure if this has come up but if you were friends with someone the system now sends you a notification every time the post in any topic anyplace in the forum.  I started getting a flood of notices.   It took some work but I was able to find the "Content you follow" section and went to the MEMBER tab on the left side.  I think set to unfollow all my friends.    Apparently they are still carried as .. well not friends but something.  But now I am not getting a notice every time they post something.

I did as Ed explained because I too got notifications for all post that anyone in my former friends list made and, like Dave, I felt like I was stalking them. 

8 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Well I just turned off followers - and it looks like my Friend's List has vanished! I had no knowledge that turning off "Followers" would blow up all my Friends! I hope something can be done about this situation. "Follow" sounds more like stalking.

Dave

Uh huh! Found it again. This is a bit weird. Hope it doesn't start stalking ME now! LOL!

The notifications have subsided but I noticed that by unfollowing their former friends, Ed and Dave have disappeared from my followers list, and I assume that I am no longer in you guys' followers list either. The same has probably happened to my other 15 friends here. Please forgive me for unfollowimg you! I'm still your friend.

I guess that the friend list was mutual and the followers list is in one direction only.

No doubt, 15 others others who still get notifications for every post I make will eventually drop me from their followed members list. Don't worry people, I fully understand  that you're not interested in each and every post I make!

Staff,
I do see improvements, but right now I'm mostly confused about the new SGL. It'll take me a while to get used to it all. It looks beautiful though.

Thanks for all the hard work that has gone (and continues to go, by the sounds of things) into the new format. I'm still finding my way around but apart from the spacing issues others have mentioned the thing I'm missing most is a theme with a light background and dark text. Will other themes be added in the future? I personally find reading light text on a dark background very hard on the eyes. The old SGL did at least have one theme option that allowed for the lighter background. Apologies if I've missed any similar comment requests/answers but I haven't had time to go through all 240+ posts in this thread yet.

Martin

1 hour ago, Charic said:

Click on  your  name, select account settings then select Notification Settings...........Tick (default)  or untick the  sound option!

HTH

Thank You, I couldn't see it for looking  :confused:

4 hours ago, teleskopjo said:

Is it still possible to have RSS feeds links please?

It was a great way to keep up with the interesting new topics/unread posts in the old forum.

Maybe it has already been asked in the previous ten pages...

RSS is still available but there is no global RSS feed now, instead the various streams offer an RSS feed which you can subscribe to - except the 'All Activity' feed for some reason - perhaps try exploring creating your own feed and see if you can subscribe to that?

Archived