SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Welcome to the new SGL!

Pip is right :)

This is part of SGL - well, part of SGL that talks to compatible browsers and allows SGL to notify you about things even if you are in a different tab or window - it's purely optional.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Grant said:

Pip is right :)

This is part of SGL - well, part of SGL that talks to compatible browsers and allows SGL to notify you about things even if you are in a different tab or window - it's purely optional.

Ah, okay, thank-you both :smile: 

I guess Safari doesn't play that game so I haven't seen it. 

Can`t seem to find the notification permission thing in Firefox (43.0.4) to turn it off?. Running Win 10 64 bit . Can`t seem to find the notification thing in Firefox (43.0.4) to turn it off?. Running Win 10 64 bit and I even have the `block popup windows` selected and still it pops up?.

Didn`t do this before the upgrade.

Steve

A good first day for the new style, I think. I was online early today when this thread started and there seemed to be a lot of people who had gotten out of the wrong side of the bed :lol:  - As the day has gone on and some tweaks have been implemented the thread has become more positive and constructive, which is very encouraging.

Well done Grant - I hope you are still sleeping :wink:

I don't know how you did it, but less stuff fits in my screen now. Why all this padding around things?

It is possible that it just looks to me like less fits, I can't tell without a before/after screenshot comparison, but that's the feeling I get.

Also: I'd get rid of notifications. Most questions I see are about how to disable them, that should tell you something.

Well I just turned off followers - and it looks like my Friend's List has vanished! I had no knowledge that turning off "Followers" would blow up all my Friends! I hope something can be done about this situation. "Follow" sounds more like stalking.

Dave

Uh huh! Found it again. This is a bit weird. Hope it doesn't start stalking ME now! LOL!

I am enjoying the new forum style and function very much. It works and Astro-communication is back up and running. Well done to all involved, no small task there!

I do however have one observation - the notifications list is very slow to load, especially on a mobile device. I think it's not very fast on my laptop too, but will check again later today. Now, that is far from a show stopper, but is it something that I will have to learn to live with, is it my device, is it happening because the servers are still groaning with processing tasks or is it something that can be tweaked in the code / settings / mods space?

Thank you.

Thank you for upgrading to make SGL a safer place to visit, a lot of hard work that is yet to be finished. I read the various comments up to page 4 on this thread then thought I must post my 2d's worth. Apologies then if these points have been raised before. I do have eyesight problems but the new look site has thrown up issues where there were none before. Did anyone do an assessment wrt disabled access and use?

The default font size is problematical for me and stark white on black is painful and leaves me with lines before my eyes. An option to alter font colour and even type would be nice to have. Whenever I type a message I now find I will either have to increase the font size or use 'Ctrl' & '+' to read the text easily to compose it and so I now find the site is not as easy to use as before. Incidentally increasing font size means more wheel rolling with the mouse. My 'persistence of vision' means I see lines in front of things whenever I leave the site or even look above the monitor at the wall!

It's like being back at work having to use the 'shift' and 'return' keys to start a new line under the previous one. I do not like the double spacing, it is irritating, uses up monitor space and ultimately not user friendly.

Apart from these concerns which I am sure may affect others I have found out how to send a message, find my album of images and like knowing someone has sent a PM! I'm also sure the security of the site is heightened for which we can all be grateful. I stumbled across the FLO telescope/camera FOV app-very useful!

Regards,
Steve

Please can we allow browser text scaling to work. 

This website is ignoring my text scale set in Chrome settings on my tablet. So it is black background with very small white sometimes grey text. If I allow page zooming to make the text bigger the site does not text reflow.

The faster responsive theme is a thinner desktop but not a mobile view. 80% of my viewing is through a 7 inch tablet which is now generating headaches through eye strain.

The site is great and I appreciate the effort forums of this size take to run and I hope the tweaks continue.

I tried using the forum on my iPad last night, but tapping the 'Activity' button in order to select my custom activity settings just results in a screen refresh rather than the ability to choose an item from the drop-down box. No matter what I did I could not choose anything as the menu never stayed on the screen long enough.

ChrisH

9 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

Can posts be displayed "latest first" in a thread?

I know it wasn't possible before. But now with the latest update I'm hoping SGL will have caught up with a lot of other forums in this respect. 

Sorry if this has been asked already. 

Anyone? :-)

28 minutes ago, Grant said:

This has always been possible but it's a forum wide setting and not configurable for individual users so it's not something we will be changing.

Thank you for your answer.   Odd that the board coders didn't make it a feature for users to set. It is available on most forums. 

Thanks for all your hard work.  

All of the rebuild steps have completed but unfortunately there is an issue with a significant number of attachments not displaying.

The data is still there and we have numerous backups so it should be possible to get this fixed but it will take some time to sort out.

I'm speaking with the forum developers so they can look into this as this issue did not occur during our 'test run' of doing the upgrade.

I will keep you all updated but please bear in mind that attachments and images may be missing from old posts - please don't try to re-upload them or try to edit your posts at this stage.

Thanks,

Grant

I'm just about used to the new layout now, tried it on the mobile phone last night & it seemed to work ok a bit slow but then I'm still on 3G as I'm such a luddite lol.
I can't believe I've read posts of people leaving because they don't like the new layout though, I certainly won't be going anywhere. I would like the friends list back as friends & not followers as that's probably my only niggle with the new format, I've just switched off the notifications so I shouldn't be seeing notifications of them posting anymore as that was getting a bit manic.
Apart from that no complaints it just took me a while to get my head around it at first, but everything seems to be running smoothly for me at least.
Great work guys.

18 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

Sorry if this has already been asked but where has the Preview Post button gone?

Peter

There is no preview option anymore - instead, the idea is the editor will show you exactly how it will look when you post.

If you do have any issues - the ability to edit posts after they are made is now turned on for all users :) 

I'm still getting used to the new format. Spacing could be improved I think - seems to be a bit of extra padding which means I have to scroll more.

I also got the following error earlier so I guess there are still a few teething troubles to iron out:

Regards
John

4 minutes ago, strutsinaction said:

I'm still getting used to the new format. Spacing could be improved I think - seems to be a bit of extra padding which means I have to scroll more.

I also got the following error earlier so I guess there are still a few teething troubles to iron out:

Regards
John

Yes slight glitch earlier - we are still tweaking and tuning things to suit the new software.

I removed the error message from your post.

Archived