SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Welcome to the new SGL!

9 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Could search be looked at please? So that only the first occurrence for a thread is returned and not each post in a thread so search results are easier to use please.

Could we have the ability when in an edit box to delete any file uploaded before we submit a reply please? Currently the only way to cancel a reply process is to close the browser entirely but the image is on the server somewhere.

Neither of those are 'settings' so we will have to wait for future updates to the forum.

I know search is something that they are working on improving.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having familiarised myself with this revamped site, and giving it a fair trial over the last few days, I regret to say that in my opinion it is considerably less convenient to use than it was before.  Frankly the old list of new content was more useful  than the current "Unread Content" which contains unnecessary detail of what has been posted, including posted images.  The Activity list is if anything even worse. We also appear to have lost the convenient features of the old "My Content" which showed when a new post had been made in a thread that one had posted in earlier. Unless I'm mistaken this  useful feature is not replicated in my activity list.  Why lose such a useful feature? As for streams, they beggar belief! Not only do they take many clicks to get to, but they don't appear to work .... not on my iPad anyway. Maybe others have had more luck.  But frankly any feature that takes several clicks to get to is not good web design. I'm very sorry to say all this. I realise that a lot of work must have gone into setting all this up for which I'm sure we are all very appreciative of.  But I feel it needs saying. Website updates/upgrades should always and only improve features and leave already good features as they are. Change is not good for its own sake. It should always make things better. 

58 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

Change is not good for its own sake. It should always make things better. 

Ouroboros, an update like this one requires a great deal of time, thought and energy so believe me when I say we don't change things without good reason and we always do our best to make things better. We are truly sorry to hear you are unhappy, if you choose to leave SGL for another forum we will understand :smile: 

7 hours ago, Steve said:

Ouroboros, an update like this one requires a great deal of time, thought and energy so believe me when I say we don't change things without good reason and we always do our best to make things better. We are truly sorry to hear you are unhappy, if you choose to leave SGL for another forum we will understand :smile: 

Ooh you'll not get rid of me that easily. :icon_biggrin:  I do absolutely know how much effort you've all put in. I feel a bit mean moaning really, but unless people say what they think you won't know.  

Would I be right in assuming that you have customised a forum package to create SGL?  In which case the functionality and features of the site are down to the creators of the package. Might be worth dropping them an email link to this thread so they see the feedback. 

Ok, I wrote before that I had the impression that fewer things fit my screen. I am more sure of it now. In fact, my most used page in the previous design was "My Content", which showed me a list of threads I participate in, color coded to easily see which had unread posts. Now, the most similar I can find is the "Content I Posted in" from the Activity Streams, which look like the poor man's version of the previous feature and it is almost unusable currently:

-Takes 21 seconds to load!!! For the internet that's heat-death of universe time.

-My screen (1920x1200 on a Mac) fits only the 3.5 threads when it loads, due to huge margins and the inclusion of a line from of the post. The previous design fit 14 posts without scrolling!

-Hard to see new threads, instead of color-coding, there is just a small star which is filled.

Still getting a stupid popup telling me somebody has posted in the bottom right of my screen. 

Click on Notifications (the globe top right) then select notification settings; you will see a Notification List, just turn off the ones you don't want. You can also change your e-mail setting here.

This conversation has spanned sixteen pages with nearly four hundred posts :smile: 

We have done our best to identify trends (where several members make the same suggestion or express the same concern) then make the necessary tweaks and changes. 

The majority of users are navigating the forum without difficulty and the posts we are seeing now are mostly from individuals requesting advice on a specific task or area. With this in mind we are closing this thread.

If you have a question or concern regarding the forum's layout, or find a bug, please post details in the the Bugs, Errors and Issues forum where we can assist you directly. 

Thank-you again for your feedback :icon_salut:

• Steve locked this topic

Apologies for the quick downtime - I was applying a fix which should've restored any attachments that got missed during the upgrade. It also should've fixed emoticons in old posts too.

If you are still noticing any missing attachments, please let us know in the Bugs section.

Thanks,

Grant

Archived