Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Welcome to the new SGL!

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

aeajr......I agree, the one before was ok after it was earned? but the edit only seemed to last a short while. I suppose a 24Hr limit could be imposed, but everything is moderated and observed, so should not be a major issue to thread changing patterns?

I would prefer the old line-spacing to this new spacing. I learned to type so as to do line-breaks, paragraphs, etc. - would take 2 keystrokes. Now I find that puts me down by a factor of 4 lines. Maybe this is some some of "new & improved" typing style, but it lacks the conventional 'feel' for people who are very fast typists from "The Old School."

See?

Dave

I don't like facebook, twitter, tablets, android, smartphones, google+, etc, etc ... :hmh: so, not surprisingly, I don't like new forum either.

I am sure I am not totally alone in this sentiment :icon_biggrin: ???

2 minutes ago, cotterless45 said:

Just had a first good ferret around this rabbit warren of a forum. I'm quite simple. Just completely lost with this as compared to the old forum. 

It takes a fuzzy-wabbit to be worth hanging the wolverine from the Banshee. But within a week, your Bats will be flying.

evaD

1 hour ago, wheresthetorch? said:

When I opened a thread on the previous version, it used to take me to the last post I had read; now I seem to always be taken to the first post, which makes it hard to keep up. Am I doing something wrong?

Click the white spot/dot or star to the left of the thread title instead.  Hovering the mouse over gives 'Go to first unread post'  the clock icon to the right goes to latest post.

Using control and mouse wheel to zoom the page as suggested,   control and + or - works as well.

Love this infinite edit - like to think we all act like adults and treat it well and it stays. 

Hello - I'm just getting used to the new web site. I think that I can make everything work apart from the fact that I cannot work out how to delete a post in my gallery. I seem to be able to delete text associated with the image but not the image, even when I press the delete image button.... :happy11: If an administrator could help me out that would be great ...all I'm trying to do is delete a duplicate gallery image post of NGC2403 entitled "NGC2403.jpg". This is driving me slightly bonkers...:hiding:

Alan

10 hours ago, aeajr said:

I am very happy to have an extended edit ability.  I constantly find typos in my posts a couple hours later.   Or I forgot to provide a link I referenced.

The big difference is that "staff" now have full access to the edit history so the very occasional problem user/posts that made us remove it under the old software is no longer an issues

I'm terrified of software and am relieved to find that I no longer notice anything to be significantly different on here.  I'm amazed  by the fact that some people notice the changes enough to hate them.  I'll have to hop over to the French forum to remind myself of the old format (which was the same.)

Olly

I have found a solution to the member using a laptop and no mouse. If you want to make any Chrome page zoom in or out so you can set the text the size you prefer use the control key with either the + or - key.

Grant I find this text too small for mobile use, eye strain. The first go you had worked well. Alternatively why is the site now blocking Chrome addressability text scaling. I use this to set my text size for browsing but the new site ignores it. (I note the edit box text size is still bigger, tiz good)

Screenshot_2016-01-26-10-38-31.png

15 hours ago, StarlightKnight said:

Unfortunately I belong to the more mature age bracket and find the new font MUCH TOO SMALL

Can we please have a larger font ??? The original one was perfect.

Don

12 hours ago, cgarry said:

That is much better, thanks.  I can definitely live with the theme as it is now.

Yes, MUCH better for me too!

I don't like change unless there is a compelling reason. The old site appeared to work just fine so unless there was a significant reason for the change why go through the pain?

Yes the interface has changed but will there be tangible benefits from a user perspective- do tell why the change. Only time will tell.

1 minute ago, pyrasanth said:

I don't like change unless there is a compelling reason. The old site appeared to work just fine so unless there was a significant reason for the change why go through the pain?

Yes the interface has changed but will there be tangible benefits from a user perspective- do tell why the change. Only time will tell.

The reasons for the change and the list of benefits are explained in this thread, and the other announcement thread - we didn't do it for the sake of it! ;)

1 minute ago, pyrasanth said:

As the admins stated earlier, the changes needed to be made for security reasons as much as anything. Only last week, three major websites in Ireland were attacked and sent offline. The admins constantly need to update to keep ahead of the vandals.

It's actually a good change. But it will take a bit before folks are used to it. Such is the nature of doing something like changing the tap on the kitchen-sink to give hot water on the right, rather than on the left. I'm sure all will be well in a short due course.

Back to norbal,

Dave

The older you get, the more important your "comfort zones" become. I'm resistant to change for this reason but prepared to adjust for the common good. I never do anything "clever" on the forum anyway so I'm probably less affected than most.  :icon_biggrin:

Archived