Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Yet another newbie - 12 miles from Cambridge UK

HughP

Hi all

First post so apologies if I have got it all wrong!

I have been in photography all my working life, now semi-retired my dormant school boy interest has been awakened by a chance visited to the Cranfield University observatory. The decision process on equipment has nearly been made but it is a choice between two scopes.

1) Skywatcher Evostar 80 ED Pro

2) Skywatcher Evostar 100 ED Pro c/w free offer of a field flattener

both using the HEQ5 Skyscan mount.

The price between the two set ups is only about £10

My thinking behind the ED 100 with FF is that it would reduce the focal length to about 700 and the f stop to f7 bring it to a similar spec to the 80.

With the 80 I would have to buy a FF (extra £150 and the focal length would then reduce to about 500 but with the benefit of a faster f-stop.

Am I missing something in my thinking?  Obviously from my choice of scope I would be limited to what I can do, but you have to start somewhere.

I aim to start with a DSLR then move on to CCD.

Look forward to some your views.

Regards

HughP

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Chris

I’m not sure if I can reply privately to you in this forum but I’m west of you at the start of the guided bus!

I did put some basic equipment details in my profile but they do not appear in my post like yours.

Cheers HughP

Hello Hugh,

I own a SW80ED and it is a nice scope for deep sky objects (DSO) with a wide field of view and fast enough with the focal reducer, small and portable, not too heavy on an HEQ5 mount.. Color correction is quite good for a doublet. Lots of people start with this scope and it is known to be a fine scope for beginers and beyond. The only flaw I could find so far it's the focuser, but you can upgrade it later as you get more experienced. I know I will :)

Here's my first DSO ever with it.

post-39102-0-79628800-1453116461_thumb.j

Hi Hugh and welcome to SGL from another imager!! The ED80 is a great scope and is the basis of many an imagers rig. If you spend some time with the FOV calculator here  you may be surprised at the size of many a DSO and find that the shorter focal length would be better.

If you've not already done so, get hold of a copy of 'Making Every Photon Count' from the book section of the FLO website. As off as it may seem the basis of a decent imaging rig is the mount and not the scope. You need a good solid mount capable of good tracking performance as DSO's require long exposures. 

Read Steve's book and don't spend a penny until you understand what you need and why :)

Hi Hugh and welcome to SGL, difficult choice to make, but as has been suggested, repost in the imaging sections where you will possibly get more information about the abilities of both scopes and mount for imaging. Enjoy the forum :)

Thanks Chris

I’m not sure if I can reply privately to you in this forum but I’m west of you at the start of the guided bus!

I did put some basic equipment details in my profile but they do not appear in my post like yours.

Cheers HughP

The equipment details need to be in the "Signature" section, not in the "About Me" box.

Thanks Peter

I had found that one out, just have to have I think a dozen posts before it becomes available. Only trouble is now the site has migrated to a new version I can't find it! Or the list of members. Do find you find your HEQ5 Pro too heavy to move around?

Thanks

HughP

Archived