Hi from Hertford UK

Elkopop

Hello everyone,

Ive had an interest in astronomy since being a teenager and buying a 2.5" Tasco refractor with my first staturday job wages.

This Xmas was lucky enough to receive a present from my son which is a skywatcher p150 which is nice and easy to use and first few opportunities I have had to look at moon does seem nice and sharp.

I want to add to the standard eyepieces which are 10mm and 25mm, does anyone have experience of the best make of barlow lens to go with this scope and a good 2.5mm? eyepiece if that is not pushing the potential max magnification of 300x too far? Also moon and if possible sun filters

Thanks in advance for any replies

Hi Elkopop, and a warm welcome to the forum.  Yes, 2.5mm and 300x is too much mag and can hardly be acheived. 150 to 200x is a more realistic target, so a 5mm (150x) would be the optimum mag for your scope.  However, magnification is not the main concern in viewing, most stargazing is done at low magnification and a 25mm or 30mm eyepiece is ideal for this.  For looking at the sun you will need a full aperture filter in order to look at the sun in 'white-light'.  You will see sun-spots only.  You will need the following size: 193-204 mm (150mm Newt):  £48.00, found here:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/astrozap-baader-solar-filter.html

As for a Moon filter, some people prefer to use them, but others don't, so it is up to you, if you get one I would recommend the neutral density ND96 (0.9) giving 13% light transmission.  Found here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-25-Moon-Filter-Grey-13-transmission-ND96-0-9-/161227756198?hash=item2589ec52a6:g:7VcAAOxyJX1TAh3z

Good luck and clear skies!

Try the Herts Astro Goup, should be able to try an alternative eyepiece out there, Alan who operates Sky's the Limit is part of the group and he is the source (mainly) of the BST Starguiders.

There is a group at Letchworth and the Cambridge Club meet at the Institute of Astronomy who provide a weekly "gathering". The weekly event is via the IoA the CAA have a monthly talk. Know Cambridge is a bit of a distance off but it is sort of up the A10 and so not difficult.

2.5mm will be too much, suggest you ignore the idea of 2x diameter, often quoted but very rarely achieved. If you get to Hertford see if you can try an 8mm and 5mm BST. Likely find the 8mm is sort of better all round option.

In case

http://www.astronomyclubs.co.uk/

Hello and a warm welcome to the SGL. The supplied eyepieces are usable and it might be better to use them for a bit and see what you want to view. As for Barlows. I have the Revelation 2.5 x and it works well in my scope, but I must admit I do not use it that often.

• 3 months later...
On 08/01/2016 at 10:59, PeterCPC said:

Hello and welcome.

Peter

Hi everyone thanks for such a great friendly welcome, technical problems with the "it" had stopped me getting back in for 4 months so great pleasent surprise to see all your welcome messages. Last night 050516 was the clearest yet, even the 4mm eyepiece was usable will try the Herts Club

Archived