Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newbee

bigpeteant

Hello everyone, Just taken delivery of my first telescope Skywatcher 100p bought online from Tring for £89.00 including next day delivery !

No sooner had I unpacked the thing the skies cleared and a bright moon presented itself. My first glance down the eyepiece gave me a clear vision of the moon and at precisely the same time an aircraft flew straight across the moons face ( upside down I think ) oh joy. Later on I was surveying the sky from my back garden untill the clouds spoilt the party. Have just ordered a planisphere to give me an idea of what I'm looking at ( there's a lot of white dot's up there when your eye's have adjusted. ) That's all for now folks

Peter.

Welcome to SGL Peter. That first glimpse through a first scope will stay with you as the first of many such "wow" moments.

Let's hope you get more clear skies in the not too distant future. Keep in touch and feel free to ask anything at all.

Good luck and seasons greetings

Jason

Hi Peter and welcome to SGL, enjoying your new scope I see, you were very luck to avoid the clouds when the unpacking took place, you probably got missed as they are very busy this time of the year trying to spoil everyone's enjoyment :D

A planisphere is most helpful, enabling you to locate the Constellations, that lie within your field of vision of the night sky, but what it won`t do, is guide you to the many interesting things that can be seen with them. If it is not too late for that extra gift, I would recommend you obtain a copy of "Turn Left at Orion" one of the most popular books used by those just starting out as well as the experienced observer, enjoy the forum :)

Hi Pete and welcome to SGL. Any questions no matter how silly you may think they are I can almost guarentee have been asked before so don't be shy :).

Do download the free for pc Stellarium http://sourceforge.net/projects/stellarium/ . It'll give you something to plan your sessions with and wile away the hours when the clouds are messing things up. 

Most of all, remember its supposed to be fun :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived