NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SkySafari 5 Released, 50% Off

Size9Hex

have you got this linked to your nexus richard ?

Haven't tried it yet, so kept the old app just in case there's a bug. :) after waiting so long for a clear night it'll be very annoying if there's a problem with the app :)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it possible to easily transfer custom landscapes from previous versions? I've installed SS5pro and was hoping it would have picked up my landscapes from SS4. Attached is one of my sites the Rollright stones in Oxfordshire.

Mel32a4e8aebb3f033fd5a68e7b52e30882.jpg

I would guess it will work if you transfer the custom settings .skyset file as per my previous post but I don't have a custom landscape to try :)

Seems to look a lot more modern and polished in general. My v5 has crashed a few times which rarely happened in v4. Great to finally have observing lists automatically sync between two devices. New galaxy view is nice, but the novelty will wear off. The loss of the "back" arrow in the search view is a major irritation. I really like that every object has a description in English (even if a lot are auto-generated) - much nicer than trawling through a table of data. Overall, v5 is superb, but it's only a minor improvement from v4 at this point I think.

Not sure I get what you mean by the loss of the back button? Seems to still be there? For me there are plenty of nice additions which make it worthwhile.

In the search menu, select a custom list, and you can no longer navigate straight back to the main search menu. Not the end of the world, but annoying. Needs to be a custom list; The common list behaves as it used to.

I paid full price for v4 and feel it was good value for money. v5 would seem even better value as your first purchase (and a steal while it's half price). As an upgrade from v4 it seems a bit steep to me though. In fairness the team behind it can't give away free upgrades forever. If I change the way I look at it (in terms of getting an excellent app that's likely to be supported for the next couple of years), the average monthly cost over that period seems very reasonable.

I have just purchased this for the first time, and put on my kit in the list, but what can I do with the list of my kit, is there a way to show overlays of my cameras and scopes FOV's for the framing of objects to see if they fit the FOV, if not what is the point of putting all your kit into the app...? Is there another reason for it...

AB

I have just purchased this for the first time, and put on my kit in the list, but what can I do with the list of my kit, is there a way to show overlays of my cameras and scopes FOV's for the framing of objects to see if they fit the FOV, if not what is the point of putting all your kit into the app...? Is there another reason for it...

AB

Yep, go into settings display and you can choose the fov of which combination of kit you want to display.

Eg this is my baby tak with canon 450

post-20507-0-31920500-1450540639_thumb.p

Mike, just had a quick test with the 10" indoors. All the settings were correct,connected first time and it aligned ok on Polaris and vega. Curser was moving the correct way when I moved the scope so it all seems fine :)

Mike, just had a quick test with the 10" indoors. All the settings were correct,connected first time and it aligned ok on Polaris and vega. Curser was moving the correct way when I moved the scope so it all seems fine :)

That's great news, thanks Richard

AB

Yep, make sure you select the combinations you want ie tap the selection button on the right so it shows green, this displays the relevant fov

2ae867eadfeb4e8c4a7b6f5566f2fa57.jpg

48a657a0cfdfd481c8b0546024b7b410.jpg

Hi all

Thinking about getting this, am I right in thinking I can align my evolution 6 with the hand controller

And the let sky Safari take over for the goto

Neil

I don't think you can. You have to use either the hand controller or a controlling app such as ski safari, but you can't mix both. But I find it easier to do the alignment using ski safari than the hand controller. When the wifi is connected the scope gets your position and time from the tablet/smart phone, all you have to do is the alignment and not fill in date, time etc.

Eric.

Still finding lots of nice little features in V5. Selected the deep sky observing list and it highlights some very interesting galaxies with common names I have never heard of. :)

But i have also realised how much work I have to do to import my observing lists. :(

Still finding lots of nice little features in V5. Selected the deep sky observing list and it highlights some very interesting galaxies with common names I have never heard of. :)

But i have also realised how much work I have to do to import my observing lists. :(

You can copy them all at once Robert. Plug your device into iTunes on a PC, select them all and drag them onto your desk top. Then add them to sky safari 5. :)

You can copy them all at once Robert. Plug your device into iTunes on a PC, select them all and drag them onto your desk top. Then add them to sky safari 5. :)

Fantastic, thanks Richard, that will save me lots of time.

On a separate note, i have imported some the observing lists from the on-line repositories and they are really good; another great feature - saves hunting around the web. Am also finding the 'show DSS image' very useful for the more obsure objects, to see if they are worth looking at. The galaxy view is unreliable though and the whole app has crashed once already, but overall very pleased.

I love my new toy but have had a couple of instances of it locking up and crashing when switching to and from "compass" view. No big deal and a quick re-boot of the iPad sorts it out but a little frustrating if it happens when you are in the middle of finding something in the sky.

Overall I am still very pleased with my £14.99 purchase :smile:

Mike, I've just found out you can now do multi-star alignments, up to 10 stars to improve the accuracy of the model. I didn't know that when I tried out the new version the other night. Can't wait to try it :)

• 3 weeks later...

I really like SkySafari Pro (SSP) Upgraded to 5 for IOS recently. Still v4 on the Mac.

Use to control my AVX with SkyQ.

Or, I did.

SkyPortal, based on SKYSafari 4 now integrates with my Starsense as well, for two touch alignment.... Connect and align, OK. sit back and wait a minute.

I still use SSP5 to get an idea of my FOV based on lens/ota camera/eyepiece..... I swap between the two on the iDevice.

Then again I don't tend to use the mapping orbit/galaxy view etc. either.

Looking forward to SSP 5 on the Mac.

Want I want to try is SP for quick alignment, then flip over to SSP for the goto. Think it should work as the alignment info is in the wifi module not the apps.

Next - IOS based guiding software. Currently PHD2 on Surface 3.

Archived