Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Televue 31mm Eyepiece Good choice or expensive mistake????

MarsG76

Hi All,

Question about what you know about the Televue Type-5 31mm Nagler... I took the plunge and ordered the TV 31mm eyepiece after (figuratively) selling an organ to finance it...

I was beyond happy with my TV 11mm Type 6 Nagler... and wanted something that quality and 82 deg FOV but with less magnification, and after reading the reviews I decided to go for this 31mm Type 5.

Am I paying 3 times the price for something that would give me the same views in a cheaper & smaller eyepiece? I will be using it with a 2" - 1.25" adapter at first, but later I will be 2" setup and what difference will using it through a adapter and straight 2" make?

MG 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had a 31mm Nagler for a few years now and don't regret the investment at all but my scopes have tended to be faster than yours.

There are others that would work very, very nearly as well in your scopes in all honesty.

If you use it with a 2" - 1.25" adapter you won't get the benefit of the full FoV of course and the eyepiece will look and feel unstable in a 1.25" diagonal (unless I've misunderstood your intentions, which I hope I have in some ways ...)

It's a superb eyepiece but very bulky and heavy. To be fair though, all the ~30mm / 82's are going to be that. You really should use it in full 2" mode in a 2" diagonal.

Thanks for the responses guys,

I've had a 31mm Nagler for a few years now and don't regret the investment at all but my scopes have tended to be faster than yours.

There are others that would work very, very nearly as well in your scopes in all honesty.

If you use it with a 2" - 1.25" adapter you won't get the benefit of the full FoV of course and the eyepiece will look and feel unstable in a 1.25" diagonal (unless I've misunderstood your intentions, which I hope I have in some ways ...)

It's a superb eyepiece but very bulky and heavy. To be fair though, all the ~30mm / 82's are going to be that. You really should use it in full 2" mode in a 2" diagonal.

John, at first I will be using a adapter, but will get a 2" diagonal & visual back down the track... so you didn't misunderstand what I meant.

John, at first I will be using a adapter, but will get a 2" diagonal & visual back down the track... so you didn't misunderstand what I meant.

Just be careful, the 31 is a beast so make sure your diagonal is in place securely, you don't want it spinning round and dropping your lovely eyepiece on the floor!

I'd like to think that you'll need to get a 2" diagonal ASAP, the f/6.3 reducer has only 24mm clear aperture, 31 Nagler'swith its 42mm field stop will most likely vignett strongly with the reducer, reducer is not the optimal way to use this eyepiece.

Everything about this eyepiece is big. 

A great big price tag, big performance and it's a great big heavy lump of glass. :lol:

For me it's the definitive "big wide" that sets the bench mark against which all others are judged. The performance it offers is very impressive even in large fast scopes that place great demands on the optical chain.

Good choice :)

Another point about using the Nagler 31 in a 1.25" - 2" adapter is that the eyepiece might not come to focus with your refractor and it's focus point will be a long way from any other eyepieces with your SCT. The adapter will hold the eyepiece at a position at least 50mm above it's normal position in a diagonal so you will need to find that much additional inwards focuser travel to bring it to focus.

The more I think about it the more I feel that you should aim to move to 2" diagonals ASAP.  With your scopes on an EQ mount, the eyepiece will be at all sorts of angles and I can't think of a 1.25" diagonal that I would trust with it to be honest with you especially with an adapter raising the centre of gravity of the eyepiece even further above the optical axis.

• 5 weeks later...

Another point about using the Nagler 31 in a 1.25" - 2" adapter is that the eyepiece might not come to focus with your refractor and it's focus point will be a long way from any other eyepieces with your SCT. The adapter will hold the eyepiece at a position at least 50mm above it's normal position in a diagonal so you will need to find that much additional inwards focuser travel to bring it to focus.

The more I think about it the more I feel that you should aim to move to 2" diagonals ASAP.  With your scopes on an EQ mount, the eyepiece will be at all sorts of angles and I can't think of a 1.25" diagonal that I would trust with it to be honest with you especially with an adapter raising the centre of gravity of the eyepiece even further above the optical axis.

I ended up getting a 2" diagonal which screws onto the back of the SCT, nice and secure. I did use a 2" to 1.25" adapter and it did come to focus. I still had to use it when I wanted to use my UHC filter, my 2" was still in the post. I found that the only difference in using a 2"-1.25" adapter was that the view lost some brightness but the FOV seems to be the same with or with out the adapter... granted that the best use for a 2" eyepiece is in a 2" focuser or diagonal.

Thanks for all of the replies, I ended up getting the 17mm Ethos also and all I can say after 2 observing sessions is theat the eyepices are awesome!!! I just got my 2" UHC filter so after the next night of observing when I also use the UHC filter through them, I'll write up a review of my experience. At this stage its all positive, the views through the eye pieces are amazing.

The eyepieces you have purchased are awsome and will give a lifetime of pleasure even if their capabilities are currently limited by the scopes you have. But bear in mind that lots of scopes tend to cost less than these eyepieces, so consider upgrading those rather than selling the EPs if they don't perform to expectation with what you currently have. You could pick up an 8" or 10" Dob for less than the price of either EP, and either would allow the EPs to perform spectacularly well :wink:

The eyepieces you have purchased are awsome and will give a lifetime of pleasure even if their capabilities are currently limited by the scopes you have. But bear in mind that lots of scopes tend to cost less than these eyepieces, so consider upgrading those rather than selling the EPs if they don't perform to expectation with what you currently have. You could pick up an 8" or 10" Dob for less than the price of either EP, and either would allow the EPs to perform spectacularly well :wink:

I'm very happy with the way both the 31mm T5 Nagler and the 17mm Ethos perform in my NexStar... very good views through both of the of DSOs.

I have this eyepiece and I bought it a long time ago and then didn't really use it much, I always opted for the 35mm Pan as next step in my 12 inch SC. However it really came into its own in my year old Dobsonian and is very much the finder eyepiece as i am not very good at this even now.

It is a superb eyepiece, beautifully corrected, low on scatter and razor sharp to the edge in a well collimated scope used with a Paracorr and beyond that there is little else to desire.

Alan

The "Terminagler" (31mm) is a fantastic eyepiece.  It is not a good "daytime" eyepiece due to the coloring of the outer exit pupil (the "Ring of Fire"),

but it is unexcelled in its focal length range among widefields.  Many people have threatened to take them to their graves.

The jump to the 17 Ethos is a good one, though typically a 20-25mm eyepiece yields the best visual acuity in an SCT (12.5-16mm in the refractor).

I find the 17 to be a terrific performer as a low power eyepiece in my dob (107x, 0.93° true field), and I use it more than the 21mm.

In your SCT, it's 120X and 0.84°, both figures very good in darker skies.

After that, the logical next step it to the 10mm Ethos, which, though lighter, will "feel" exactly like the 17mm.

I have always found "Panzerfaust" does more justice to its shape and bulk than mere "hand grenade" (even a holy one ;)). I agree with Don that something in the range of 20-25 mm is often optimal in the SCT.  I always start observing with the 31T5 Panzerfaust , but almost always move to the amazing 22T4, especially for galaxies. The 17T4 is also excellent, and works best on smaller galaxies. The Ethos 17 should be great as well

Archived