Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

QHY PoleMaster

johnrt

7 minutes ago, Allan the plumber said:

Like the video thanks for posting think I've been fitting my camera the opposite side to you will see if make a difference!!  hope the yard has dried out now ?

Thank you very much. This was my first foray into online tutorial presenting.  And I'm just barely into my third year of imaging so still learning the ropes. And no, the rain has continued and the our little dog keeps wanting to wade through those low areas and we keep having to bathe him. Thanks again for the comments,  it is very nice of you. 

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Zakalwe said:

How does the PoleMaster fit to the adapter? If it is easy to remove, then just getting a separate adapter and screw that to the SA dovetail. Or bond it with some epoxy?

Yeah the adaptor plate fits to the CCD and a base plate that fits to the mount. The issue for me is weight, i dont use the counter weight cause i have a finderguider one end and camera the other but if you add a heavier or light lens or decide on a differrent camera then you would need a rebalance & your now bonded adaptor plate would be of axis.

So I followed the above recommendations after my initial issues, using the v114 software and even followed the new video (Thanks for the great video). I did about 4 to 5 guide sessions from 5 min to 15 min but still averaged on about 2.5' PE error in PHDlab. I am going to run some more test tonight with drift align to compare with my PoleMaster results from last night. Still waiting on QHY to respond to my support ticket.

4 hours ago, Mav359 said:

Yeah the adaptor plate fits to the CCD and a base plate that fits to the mount. The issue for me is weight, i dont use the counter weight cause i have a finderguider one end and camera the other but if you add a heavier or light lens or decide on a differrent camera then you would need a rebalance & your now bonded adaptor plate would be of axis.

Good point.

I'll have a think about this. Perhaps something that is a sliding fit in the dovetail slot bonded to the bracket?

I've ordered a cheap Windows tablet to have a play with the OS. I'll see if the Polemaster software runs on it. If it does, I might order a MM and add it to the list of astro kit that is gathering dust in the obsy.... :angryfire:

14 minutes ago, Zakalwe said:

Good point.

I'll have a think about this. Perhaps something that is a sliding fit in the dovetail slot bonded to the bracket?

I've ordered a cheap Windows tablet to have a play with the OS. I'll see if the Polemaster software runs on it. If it does, I might order a MM and add it to the list of astro kit that is gathering dust in the obsy.... :angryfire:

Here i didnt want to go off topic here

11 hours ago, monty87 said:

So I followed the above recommendations after my initial issues, using the v114 software and even followed the new video (Thanks for the great video). I did about 4 to 5 guide sessions from 5 min to 15 min but still averaged on about 2.5' PE error in PHDlab. I am going to run some more test tonight with drift align to compare with my PoleMaster results from last night. Still waiting on QHY to respond to my support ticket.

It's the Chinese New year. They will not respond till they get back. Around 22nd February.

Steve

22 hours ago, monty87 said:

Did you try to set the exposure time field in PHDLab to the total duration of the session? I found that if you take it over a short period (like 10 minutes) it would skew the results but over the whole session it was fine?

PolarAlignmentError.jpg.cd88047b9db47379

1 minute ago, StuartJPP said:

Did you try to set the exposure time field in PHDLab to the total duration of the session? I found that if you take it over a short period (like 10 minutes) it would skew the results but over the whole session it was fine?

PolarAlignmentError.jpg.cd88047b9db47379

Yeah, I looked a the whole session. About 70min. 

I have been discussing with one of the reps from QHY over on the cloudynights forum, and based on a screen shot, he suggested the focus looks a bit off. So I am going to re-check my focus on the PoleMaster and re-test. Unfortunately its going to be cloudy starting tonight for next few days, so will post my results once it clears up.  I will post the PHDlog screen from the next test with the results.

Here is the my final step screen shot, that the rep said the focus seemed a bit off.

final step.JPG

Dr Q on the QHYCCD forum commented that I had it backwards. Put the USB cord out the east side of the mount if pointing north. Apparently it will help calibrate when using the new version of the software. That version wasn't out when I recorded the raw footage.  

1 hour ago, nightster said:

Dr Q on the QHYCCD forum commented that I had it backwards. Put the USB cord out the east side of the mount if pointing north. Apparently it will help calibrate when using the new version of the software. That version wasn't out when I recorded the raw footage.  

Thanks Jeff I've gone back to my original way on the left 

On 16 February 2016 at 21:46, Zakalwe said:

Good point.

I would be very interested to know if the Polemaster software runs on a windows tablet.

8 hours ago, astrodude said:

I would be very interested to know if the Polemaster software runs on a windows tablet.

I bought a Linx Windows tablet for the princely sum of £39.99 (inc P & P!!) from the BT shop last week...they were on special offer and have now gone up to £49.99. Even at that, there is a lot of tablet for not much more than a take-away meal.

http://www.shop.bt.com/products/linx-7-windows-8-tablet-7--ips-touch-screen-quad-core-1gb-32gb-linx7-9S52.html

I upgraded it to Win 10 and downloaded the PoleMaster software, which seems to install perfectly. I haven't got a PM to test, however I downloaded Firecapture (which installed perfectly) and connected my ZWO 174 camera to the tablet using a powered USB-To-Go cable. An external power bank was also connected and as soon as I plugged it all in, Windows detected the camera. Firecapture was able to connect to it and was able to record an avi.  Based on that, I feel pretty confident that the tablet will run the PM software.

2 hours ago, Zakalwe said:

I bought a Linx Windows tablet for the princely sum of £39.99 (inc P & P!!) from the BT shop last week...they were on special offer and have now gone up to £49.99. Even at that, there is a lot of tablet for not much more than a take-away meal.

http://www.shop.bt.com/products/linx-7-windows-8-tablet-7--ips-touch-screen-quad-core-1gb-32gb-linx7-9S52.html

I upgraded it to Win 10 and downloaded the PoleMaster software, which seems to install perfectly. I haven't got a PM to test, however I downloaded Firecapture (which installed perfectly) and connected my ZWO 174 camera to the tablet using a powered USB-To-Go cable. An external power bank was also connected and as soon as I plugged it all in, Windows detected the camera. Firecapture was able to connect to it and was able to record an avi.  Based on that, I feel pretty confident that the tablet will run the PM software.

Thanks Zakalwe for the feedback. It was also very useful to know that a ZWO camera works. A great help.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 12:55, nightster said:

After you run through the procedure once you won't need to rely on the instructions it's rather intuitive. Hint: use an external mouse with a roller wheel makes aligning the grid more precise.

I definitely second that hint.

Started of using the pad on laptop.... man was THAT a mistake.

I think that adding cursor controls to move the pointer and space for click would make this more accurate yet. Cursor keys are already used for the mask rotation

• 2 weeks later...
On 22 February 2016 at 12:34, astrodude said:

I have installed, and used Polemaster software on a Surface 3 running Windows 7 Ultimate, then subsequently upgraded to Wondows 10, and reverted back to Windows 7.

The software worked well on both. I have used this about a dozen times on each version prior to reverting to Win 7, it has been fine the past 4 last nights after reverting.

One caveat, on two occasions when closing the applciation it errored. I have not looked further into that as everything worked well.

8 hours ago, iapa said:

Its a shamema it is not easy to find out what the changes are :(

It tells you here:

PoleMaster
Driver
     V150915
PoleMaster Software 
     V116
Updated: the Japanese translation of astronomical refraction interface.
     V115
Fixed:  the issue that sometimes the displayed image all be black;
Updated: Adjusted range of pressure value to 90~110;
Added: can choose the unit of pressure value;
Added: controled the tracking pole using mouse wheel;
Added: recorded the parameters of astronomical refraction;
     V114
1.Add astronomical refraction calibration function
2.Add the manual adjustment for the two retangle position after the mount GOTO. 
3.The Southern Hemisphere Support.
4.Add the zoom function for the main image to fit the window
5.Fixe the zoom image get chaos issue in left toolbox
6.Improved the english translation.
     V110
Update the translated fields for Japanese;Optimized UI interface.
     V109

Archived