Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

QHY PoleMaster

johnrt

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First impressions...

A seemingly well made camera, nice and solid like all my QHY cameras.  Downloaded & installed the drivers from the website and pointed out the window by hand and fired up the software, seems to be working fine, i'm using my Windows 10 desktop and its plugged into a USB3 hub, all seems good.  Software looks like it'll be fairly easy to use.

Now just got to find some time to actually try and use it.

Sounds promising and I'd like to see one I action - Is anyone taking one to SGLX1? - perhaps it would make a good demo workshop / sales pitch.

Looking at Modern astronomy website there's a specific one for the AZEQ5 mount but I can't see one for my AZEQ6.

Does a std EQ6 Polemaster work on my mount?

On 2 February 2016 at 13:14, Blazar said:

Peter....did not see the link for it...but found it on the QHY site. Just downloaded it and created a new wrapper in WINE for it....fired up first time! so the software is running quite nicely (though cannot test a connection)....but I know someone who has one (Knobby!).....

Polem.tiff

Learned a lot about wine tonight ! Managed to get software running and driver installed but no joy ... Mac not seeing camera , shame , but QHY are apparently working on an OSX version .

24 minutes ago, A40farinagolf said:

Sounds promising and I'd like to see one I action - Is anyone taking one to SGLX1? - perhaps it would make a good demo workshop / sales pitch.

Looking at Modern astronomy website there's a specific one for the AZEQ5 mount but I can't see one for my AZEQ6.

Does a std EQ6 Polemaster work on my mount?

I cant answer but ring Bernard at modern astronomy tomorrow and ask him, if there is one to get he'll be able to get it

16 hours ago, Mav359 said:

am i right in thinking that you wouldn't even have to turn the mount on? just wack the camera in, do the polar align using the manual alt/az bolts then you can fire it up and do a 2 or 3 star setup

As part of the process the Polemaster will ask you to move in RA without unlocking the clutches so I don't see how you would do that without the mount being on. Also it will ask you to send it to the home position so same issue.

Peter

5 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

As part of the process the Polemaster will ask you to move in RA without unlocking the clutches so I don't see how you would do that without the mount being on. Also it will ask you to send it to the home position so same issue.

Peter

It'll be a few days before i get to have a proper go due to the weather but in my mind anyways i would have thought that simply rotating the scope through 90degs manually would be enough, the home position is marked on the mount so its easy to return to that point. Either way even if i have to have it on just so i can use the handset so im not unlocking the clutches and send it home, i can do that without wasting time star aligning the first time.

It solves my other issues working from the van anyways and worse case scenario even if it saves me no time at all it'll still probably give me better PA then i have achived so far.

You have to rotate the mount in RA twice - each about 30 degrees then click on the position of a star. This enables the Polemaster to calculate the rotation point of that star. When you send it to home you watch the star tracking a circle to prove that the rotation centre is correct.

Peter

37 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

For AVX users. I have had confirmation from Team Celestron that the PA error display in the handset is valid if you do a 2 star + calib after you set the PA using Polemaster.

Peter

Cheers Peter

I'll have it ready to go tonight on the off chance it clears.

What PA Error Display is that???

19 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

I canQuicke why you would do this with actuallynt off, what's the advantage?

Peter

Ni Advantage, just happened that way. Quixj Set up in a 1 hour cloud gap, more interested to see it working than axtuallY using .

Hello,

How is this PoleMaster different from the method I described on SGL last year? 

In short, you can use your existing camera and this free software (in python) to achieve the same thing. Works on OSX, Windows, Linux. Corrects for precession. Works in southern hemisphere, too. Plate solves either through internet connection to Nova astrometry.net or local astrometry.net installation. You might want to save a few hundred pounds...

4 hours ago, PeterCPC said:

I can't see why you would do this with the mount off, what's the advantage?

Peter

Surely it's the other way, if the device does not need the mount powered then you PA your mount then start the 3/2 star alignment with a good PA as the starting point. What's the advantage of powering the mount first for most mounts?

3 hours ago, themos said:

Hello,

How is this PoleMaster different from the method I described on SGL last year? 

In short, you can use your existing camera and this free software (in python) to achieve the same thing. Works on OSX, Windows, Linux. Corrects for precession. Works in southern hemisphere, too. Plate solves either through internet connection to Nova astrometry.net or local astrometry.net installation. You might want to save a few hundred pounds...

Yes and very happy with the results in using it I am too.

Though if the QHY is pocket money then the convenience factor and pretty orange adaptors ...

8 hours ago, PeterCPC said:

Peter

Yep I forgot about that. You need the mount powered up. 

Archived