Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

15" f4.8 Astrosystems/Ostahowski pictures

I took a few pictures of the new scope a while back and will take a few more. This dob is finger jointed and epoxied with steel T nuts epoxied in for secure fastening. All the components are stainless steel and the fit up was perfect. Astrosystems uses a CNC router accurate to less than .020", probably .010". The cage is light and sturdy with very fast set up time, and the mostly wood mirror cell functions spot on. This scope is not prone to frosting/dewing when in use- the optics that is.

This thing is buttery smooth and is balanced perfectly with all my eyepieces, including the 21mm Ethos. This is the first Moonlight focuser I've used and I must say it works very well...

Oh and lets not forget the filter slide :grin: :grin: I love this feature and leave my filters in it all the time... The spider is top tier IMHO and collimation is extremely easy- a few other top scope makers use Randy's spider and components.

And most importantly the views are very good! The Traps E and F stars were seen with the 21E....@ 87x which is not too bad....

post-30641-0-70352100-1449960879_thumb.j

post-30641-0-65757000-1449961127_thumb.j

post-30641-0-77556600-1449961267_thumb.j

post-30641-0-33770500-1449961410_thumb.j

post-30641-0-90619600-1449961496_thumb.j

Looks very nice Gerry!  :cool:

Does it use bearings (like a lazy susan) or teflon pads for the azi movements?

As much as I also love the idea of the filter slider I cant see how this would work with a Feathertouch and SIPPs, did you ask Randy if it was possible to use both in any way?

Seriously awesome scope!!!! :)

Looks very nice Gerry!  :cool:

Does it use bearings (like a lazy susan) or teflon pads for the azi movements?

As much as I also love the idea of the filter slider I cant see how this would work with a Feathertouch and SIPPs, did you ask Randy if it was possible to use both in any way?

Seriously awesome scope!!!! :)

Thanks Mike, we talked about Paracorrs and I don't recall anything about the FT/Sipps. This scope was designed for use without a Paracorr, but the diag is on the largish size -3.1"-so that cutting the poles is no big deal within reason (illumination) and a Paracorr can be made to work. This scope gives high contrast and part of the reason is the filterslide/focuser/spider is "blacked out" really well, no stray reflections bouncing around. It out contrasts my VX10 which is a testament to the design and mirrors.

The AZ is 2 bearing sets and one teflon pad, it glides around very well and the setlling time is less than 2 secs...

post-30641-0-19651300-1449965948_thumb.j

Thanks Mike, we talked about Paracorrs and I don't recall anything about the FT/Sipps. This scope was designed for use without a Paracorr, but the diag is on the largish size -3.1"-so that cutting the poles is no big deal within reason (illumination) and a Paracorr can be made to work. This scope gives high contrast and part of the reason is the filterslide/focuser/spider is "blacked out" really well, no stray reflections bouncing around. It out contrasts my VX10 which is a testament to the design and mirrors.

The AZ is 2 bearing sets and one teflon pad, it glides around very well and the setlling time is less than 2 secs...

I did think of something similar for my own scope but went with the formica and Teflon, albeit with a central formica/Teflon bearing too and it's a doddle to push around.

Damian

That is a seriously good looking scope Gerry, congrats mate.

I do love wooden scopes. There's something special about the look of wood when crafted well :)

Almost seems a sacrilege to paint baltic birch ply but it is nice either way 

Archived