NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

It's Been A While

Craig20264

Hi all,

Thought I'd better reintroduce myself after what has been an almost 4 year break. A lot has happened.

I sold my gear in 2012 after a diagnosis of a malignant tumour on the back of my right eye. It was too far gone to do anything with so the eye was removed. The outlook was also bleak going forward, and there were some dark days in our house for a while. Anyway, the eye was removed and luckily the multitude of scans revealed no spread. I have regular six monthly scans as you're never out of the woods with this kind of thing, but so far so good.

Anyway enough of the bleakness. I got straight back into work, (6 days after the op to be precise), and all hobbies went out of the window for a while. It was the following winter I started twiddling my thumbs again looking for something to fill my spare time again. I had been a keen photographer and golfer in my younger days, so this was to be my escape. I still enjoy them both and play golf every weekend. However, walking past my bookcase in the house, over the last few weeks my star charts and atlases which I couldn't part with, began tugging at me, until I finally succumbed and started reading them again. What a mistake that could turn out to be for my Credit Card balance!

As I said earlier, My 200 Dob went along with everything else, so I have a clean slate to begin again. The worrying thing is I've been eyeing the back garden up for an observatory. But that's a long way off yet I think. For now I am content with my Binoculars, Orion, Andromeda, and the Moon. But I am fooling myself if I think it will end there! After all, there's not much point in a one eyed man owning binos! :icon_biggrin:  

I also now have to wear glasses, so it would be interesting to know how you spectacle wearing gazers get on with eye relief?

Anyway, it's good to be back again. I have a lot of catching up to do.

Cheers

Craig

Hi Craig, welcome back. Sounds like you've had a rough time. There are lots of eyepieces with 20mm eye relief suitable for specs. Try without specs first as some people (like me) can see better through an eyepiece without rather than with.

Hi Craig and welcome back to the forum. Hopefully a fresh start will give you a new impetus in the hobby and there is of course plenty of help here to get you up and running in what ever direction you end up choosing.

Clear skies.

Hello and a warm welcome back to the SGL. I am sorry to read of the bad times you've been through, but hopefully that is all behind you now and you can once again enjoy your astronomy. I wear glasses to observe and have found many eyepieces with good eye relief, so no problems there.

Welcome back Craig. Sounds like you've had a rough time and come through. I think having a hobby or passion gives you an "anchor point" to hang on to while recovering. It's good to hear you're "astro -spark" is still alive.

Best wishe and clear skies

Jason

Well done Craig.

I do admire your courage mate, you did good in overcoming that awful setback, and of course

it is better to start living again, and not let it get you down.

Coming back to this place is great, you are among like minded folks, and some great encouragement

will always be forthcoming. 

Best of luck resurrecting your Astronomy, it's good therapy for sure, but don't go overboard with the CC.

Small steps are best  :grin:.

Best Wishes. 

Wow,

What a welcome. Many thanks to you all for your kind words.

I hope I arrive with good weather in tow. Last night was certainly great in these parts, and I opened the  bedroom curtains at 6.00 am this morning to be greeted by Jupiter, Mars, Venus and our Moon all in a nice line . A welcome back from the heavens indeed! (And the wife uttering the words, "Oh God, here we go again!")

Oh, and Sara. Some fantastic images on your flickr pages. I've been following your work for ages. I first I spotted your flickr page on "Talk Photography" forum. Great work. It's something I one day hope to move on to.

Once again, thanks for the welcome.

Archived