Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi Everyone

Grimbles

Hello, I thought it was about time I introduced myself after a month or two of taking advantage of all the great advice and experiences in the forums, which I thank everyone for.  Hopefully I can repay a little over time as I climb the very steep learning curve.  My name is Martin and live in Somerset under reasonably dark skies (bar the odd offending street light).

My main interest in astrophotography bothy planetary and DSO's, although I am most definitely  still right at the beginning of the aforementioned 'curve' and just trying to get used to various techiniques and the equipment, especially the 'dark art' of image processing.

I started about 5 months ago purchasing a Skywatcher Mak 90 on a Virtuoso Mount, modified an xbox webcam and did a few images of the moon and Jupiter with varying degrees of success but was well and truly hooked.

I then quite quickly aquired an EQ5 pro mount with a Skywatcher 150PDS and secondhand EOS400d with defective auto focus so was very cheap, I also realised very quickly that, as everyone says, I could quite easily fall into the money pit.  I have now drawn the line and decided to discover what I can achieve with what I have, as I was in danger of having loads of kit but 'no idea'.

Again thanks to everyone for the very helpful and informative posts and am really looking forward to the road ahead.

A couple of my very first attempts are below.

moon

M101

Bubble Nebula

Hi Martin and welcome to SGL, you have already produced some nice respectable images, enjoy working within the limitations of what you have for the present time. A most useful guide on the subject "Making Every Photon Count" accepted by our imagers, both experienced and those just setting out, as one of the best informative works there is on the on the subject of Astrophotography. Copies are available through FLO, see top of the page for details, enjoy the forum :) 

Archived