NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from North Northumberland....

nightskies

Hello SGL....I Have been watching the skies for many years now with my 15 X 70 Celestron Sky Master binoculars. I know my way around the sky a little, but I ain't no expert..

However, my fascination with deep space objects has taken over,  so I have eventually decided to purchase a telescope...... ( After the festive season )

I have decided on a Skywatcher 250 solid tube Dob. I've read a great deal about this telescope and it seems to be a good choice, as far as I can gather. I do not require any go-to electric wizardry as I find the searching is half the fun...

Anyway, I am quite lucky as I live next to a farm with plenty of dark sky field access, which should be ideal for deep space, weather permitting of course. Any advice on this telescope would be much appreciated....... 

If a 25mm eyepiece is used giving about 48 X magnification, I wonder how long something like m31 will stay in the field of view...?

Do you just keep nudging the telescope along...?

Or should I consider a 200p on an EQ5...?                          Thanks    :smiley:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Nightskies,

I have the 200p dob and nudging is not a problem until you reach the higher magnifications around 200x

I found that the lower mags are tolerant of cheap eyepieces, but higher mags need better quality optics, and a wider field of view for the nudging.

My favorites are:

Maxvision 16mm barlowed to 165x (68o)

Delos 6mm at 200x (72o)

Explore scientific 11mm barlowed to 240x (82o)

For wide field I use a 42mm Revelation 65o

But the exit pupil is around 7mm, and too big.

The 30mm Revelation would have been a better eyepiece for the 200p.

The scope is the cheap bit

It is the eyepieces which will cost the most money.

Enjoy the views.

You need to see one in the flesh before placing an order.

The 250P is a big beast.

One of the forum members (Big Nev) explained how his gear worked, and ran through the do's and don'ts.

The 200P on a tripod is massive, and heavy.

I opted for the dob for a smaller storage space - it fits in a corner of the room.

The quick assembly - it never comes to pieces, so it is always ready to go.

Lightweight - I can lift the 200p buy myself, and the base just about fits through the back door.

And value for money - £250 at the time for the 200p / £400-ish for the 250p

If the Revelation scopes were available at the time I would have bought one for the 10:1 focus, and a few other upgrades compared to the Skywatcher.

The 250 10-inch solid tube Revelation scope is £399 / 300 12-inch is £550

Hi Nightskies and welcome to SGL, the 250 is a big beast and transportation should be a consideration, especially if you are taking it out into country terrain. For DSO work the 250 can, never the less, be very rewarding, enjoy the forum :)

Archived