SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGL XI - Pitch Allocations

daz

As you have a hook-up just use 12v Maplins' power supply(s) & splitters etc. no need for batteries

Yes, I did wonder about that but as this is my first ever star party/gathering, I wasn't sure if my scope would be set up by my tent, or whether there would be a field or area where we all go to do the observing. Also I have yet to ascertain whether the "hook-up" is the usual household style socket so I could just run an extension cable or something else which will require some sort of adapter.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I did wonder about that but as this is my first ever star party/gathering, I wasn't sure if my scope would be set up by my tent, or whether there would be a field or area where we all go to do the observing. Also I have yet to ascertain whether the "hook-up" is the usual household style socket so I could just run an extension cable or something else which will require some sort of adapter.

I think you'll need one of these...

http://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/023011-eurohike-mobile-mains-kit.html/781150/?istCompanyId=b238823a-59fd-4816-9c36-7dd47877f2a8&istItemId=raxrmxmtx&istBid=tzil&gclid=CjwKEAiAoIK1BRCRiMqphvnlwlwSJAAOebPMpKeeu0GDXkJOnDPLZ_x-qZYo-ZBE9F0iIYoeukPbxhoCZZLw_wcB

That's a good buy!  and pleased to see they have changed the orientation of the sockets as with some of the astro adapters it was impossible to actually get 3 plugs into the sockets together when the orientation was the other way around

Helen

Hi BobSki,

Craig is right about the type of plug plus cable required and the lead needs to be about 25 feet or more in length.

Secondly, it is customary to set up your astro gear outside your own tent and once setup leave it there throughout your stay.

Therefore, you need some way of covering the gear each evening / morning after use.

There are toilet / changing tents available from camping shops which give good protection against the elements.

I also have survival bags which go over the scope and the toilet tent then goes over the lot.

You also need 8 good quality tent pegs to keep the lot from blowing away!

Cheers

Adrian

Hi guys and thanks for the help. I thought I might need something special for the electrics, that looks a good buy so I'll probably secure one of those in the not too distant future.

I've ordered a scope coat for covering the newt while not in use, wouldn't that be sufficient?

Hi guys and thanks for the help. I thought I might need something special for the electrics, that looks a good buy so I'll probably secure one of those in the not too distant future.

I've ordered a scope coat for covering the newt while not in use, wouldn't that be sufficient?

I use scope coats and they work just fine. My only advice would be to remove them each morning if it isn't raining to avoid condensation building up inside them or on the scope.

We will also be changing the way bookings are done next year so that you will book directly with Lucksall - this should remove this issue of trying to allocate pitches and people getting moved around etc.. We will post further details as soon as possible but it is highly likely that you will be able to book your pitch for next year, whilst at this years star party.

Thanks for the update Grant.

This could be better, or worse. Anyone that has tried to get a pitch at Kelling knows the frustration involved with first come first served arrangement. Recently they have adopted a system whereby you can only book in person, not on the phone. Even so, even though we were on site well before the SP started, we still struggled to get one pitch, out of the hundreds available.

Would really hate to think that this might be the last SGL SP we can make it to, because there are no suitable pitches left.

I know it must be a massive headache to organise, but my personal opinion, is that the current system is fairer for everyone at the end of the day. Nevertheless, I will readily support the direction SGL chooses to take with this, just hope we don't miss out!

Tim

Thanks for the update Grant.

This could be better, or worse. Anyone that has tried to get a pitch at Kelling knows the frustration involved with first come first served arrangement. Recently they have adopted a system whereby you can only book in person, not on the phone. Even so, even though we were on site well before the SP started, we still struggled to get one pitch, out of the hundreds available.

Tim

Kelling plots are pretty variable from an astronomy point of view, Lucksall plots are pretty much OK where ever you end up as regards the view.

Just have to cordon off the Dob Mob in their own enclosure :evil4:

Dave

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 18:06, CraigT82 said:

Hi Craig, That WAS a good buy, thank you. I eventually got one but HEADS UP to anyone dealing with Millets.

I ordered online and chose "collect from store" on checkout. As wife passes Millets in Leamington Spa every Thursday, I chose to collect from that store. They added a £1 collection fee to the price :hmh: so it was £30

When the e-mail was sent to me telling me it was now available in store, it also told me I had to be the person collecting the item. I phoned them and their customer services confirmed THE PERSON PLACING THE ORDER has to be the person collecting the item no exceptions, they wouldn't even let my wife collect it with proof of i.d.

I cancelled the order and got my £30.00 refunded. My wife then went into the Leamington store, chose one from the six available on the shelf and paid the £29 for it. So apart from being unreasonable with not allowing my wife to collect the thing, they also charged me £1 for something they already had on the shelves. :hmh:

The item itself is excellent, very sturdy and robust, well worth the £29:00 so having seen and inspected this, if anyone else going to SGL XI needs an EHU lead, I would thoroughly recommend it.

Archived