Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep3_banner.thumb.jpg.5533fb830ae914798f4dbbdd2c8a5853.jpg

Soupy

Wakefield and District Astronomical Society (WADAS) Events page

11th to the 13th for those that are attending 

• Like 2

On ‎20‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 18:15, astrotyke said:

Its the 18th

Think due to full moon its been changed lol, check with Soupy

Eric

Family Observing Event tonight is a go. Mixed weather reports but we're heading up there as it does look to be clearing

• Like 2

Im going to struggle to get up there tonight. Until quite a bit later at least. Are you ok getting in there? If you need any help at all just let me know. I may be able to get out later for an hour but im heading out to see family shortly. I will be fairly local though if anyone needs a hand with anything!

26 minutes ago, woozydewsy said:

Thanks Ryan, Vicky, Adam and I will be up there for certain from about 6.45

If you have any trouble getting in or anything please give me a shout. I will try to make it up later if I can.

been up to reccy springmill golf course overflow car park and I think its ok for a bit of casual observing.

horizons arent brilliant, it'll have light pollution from ossett and wakefield, BUT - there are no direct street lights that I can see and it should be ok for a bit of local viewing. Plus as its shielded from ossett and wakey, it should theoretically be better than the cricket club at overton where you have to look directly over the lights.

So as its forecast for being clear tonight with the possibility of aurora, anyone fancy meeting up there about 8.30 tonight?

picture attached of map and car park.

springmill car park.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry Nick but I won't be heading out tonight, even though it is very local to me. Just setting up in the back yard to try to get my auto guiding software and camera up and running. Wish me luck as I think I'm going to need it lol. Scope looks nice though, so at least I don't mind looking at that if I can't get it to do anything haha. Good luck with spotting/imaging the aurora tonight everyone. My northern horizon is poor, so I'll miss that one even if we're fortunate enough to get a show

IMG_20160307_162915.jpg

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, nicks90 said:

been up to reccy springmill golf course overflow car park and I think its ok for a bit of casual observing.

horizons arent brilliant, it'll have light pollution from ossett and wakefield, BUT - there are no direct street lights that I can see and it should be ok for a bit of local viewing. Plus as its shielded from ossett and wakey, it should theoretically be better than the cricket club at overton where you have to look directly over the lights.

So as its forecast for being clear tonight with the possibility of aurora, anyone fancy meeting up there about 8.30 tonight?

picture attached of map and car park.

springmill car park.jpg

My house (back garden) overlooks Springmill Nature area & Golf course,  I am going to Gains house this evening so unfortunately cant make it, 

Tuesday the 5th of April. Weather permitting a meeting at Winscar reservoir.

Small car park. I shall be there early from around 7pm to get set up.

Please check on the thread for further updates 

• Like 1

Hi all,

I have been keeping an eye on the weather and the forecast is looking good for later. Checking on Metcheck and XC weather both are giving out clear until midnight at least. The BBC has a somewhat different story with partial cloud all evening.

In my opinion the evening is looking good with the only downside being the wind at 12mph is a little higher than the ideal, but with judicious use of car positioning the effects could be mitigated somewhat.I shall be there from around 7-7:30pm tonight in the small car park off Windle edge road by the sailing club.

Dusk is at 20:26

Full astronomical darkness 22:00.

Moon phase is a waning crescent but wont bother us rising at 04:44 

Thanks and please reply if you are going to attend as I need to know how many chocolate bars to bring :grin:.

• Like 3

Iv looked at both clear out side and the BBC.

I'm supposed to have clear sky's and sunshine from 2:00 pm and I have cloud.

Both have cloud as you say for Dunford bridge. It's like playing Russian roulette. 

2 hours ago, mapstar said:

Hi all,

I have been keeping an eye on the weather and the forecast is looking good for later. Checking on Metcheck and XC weather both are giving out clear until midnight at least. The BBC has a somewhat different story with partial cloud all evening.

In my opinion the evening is looking good with the only downside being the wind at 12mph is a little higher than the ideal, but with judicious use of car positioning the effects could be mitigated somewhat.I shall be there from around 7-7:30pm tonight in the small car park off Windle edge road by the sailing club.

Thanks and please reply if you are going to attend as I need to know how many chocolate bars to bring :grin:.

Hi damian

dont think I will be going up,ISS pass at 8:55pm

• Like 1

Should hopefully be making it up. Bev changed her hours at work so she doesn't finish until 9.30 now! Will probably head up after that as im still fine tuning the barn door tracker. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, gtis said:

Hi damian

dont think I will be going up,ISS pass at 8:55pm

Thanks for letting us know Neil. Weather still good according to Metcheck for the woodhead tunnel rocks

I will see you up there Damian about 8 ish 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mapstar said:

Hi all,

I will load the car up in 10minutes Damian, see you there.

Eric

• Like 1

Not quite packed the car yet but nearly there will set off in 10 mins

• Like 1

Winscar tonight guys if all holds up. I shall be arriving at 10-10:30pm for a few hours viewing the heavens. The small car park is where I'll be heading

Cheers

1 minute ago, Vicky050373 said:

Does the small car park have a good southern horizon? Can't remember what it's like there as I've not been to that one for a little while. Need to try to grab Mars and Saturn if I can :)

Depending where you set up it is better than the large car park . 

[Sorry I thought this was the other forum - post moved]

Edited by rockystar

Yes should be, although virgo is quickly falling out of view after midnight being at about 45° to the western horizon. 

Scorpius, Serpens Cauda, Ophiucus, Sagitta, Aquila, Delphinius should be good targets though 

• Like 1

Hope to see you all there weather permitting will we all fit on the carpark 

• Like 1

Just now, gtis said:

Hope to see you all there weather permitting will we all fit on the carpark 

Nice one Neil