sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

Wakefield and District Astronomical Society (WADAS) Events page

As our home thread is getting pretty massive and can be a tad hard to follow at times, this will be the official thread for WADAS events.

To make it easier for members and potential members and members of the public to follow and see what we are doing please only post relevant events related posts here, including, but not limited to, meetings, observing meet ups, star parties and other relevant events.

Please keep posts to a miminum to make it easier to follow.

Thanks

Soupy

• Like 3
  • Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all, A pleasant evening in terms of company but very little to write on here astronomy wise. Managed a few brief views of the stars through tiny gaps but not much else. Hopefully we will have bette

Hi all, This isn't aimed at anyone in particular and I know we all want to post our experiences. Just for clarity of arranging and keeping track on the forth coming events and meets, for members and

As our home thread is getting pretty massive and can be a tad hard to follow at times, this will be the official thread for WADAS events. To make it easier for members and potential members and membe

Posted Images

First official notification is of the WADAS kielder star party this weekend. You should have had your members email about arrangements for meeting up if you are coming. Please reply so we know who to expect and when you are planning to come up if you are.

Thanks soupy.

• Like 2

Second Friday of every Month
Weather permitting we will be aiming to do some observing up at either Winscarr Reservoir or at Middlestown please keep an eye on our social media pages for updates on this event.

Its that time of the month and although some are going up to Kielder to enjoy perfect dark skies - us less fortunate souls who are stuck in Yorkshire must make do with a night out around here.

Do we have any plans for Friday night? As the forecast looks promising and there is a good ISS pass at 8.15pm too.

Edited by nicks90
  • Like 3

Take a look here guys before setting off and press the forward button.

http://www.metcheck.com/UK/arpege_charts.asp

BBC has it clear after midnight

Met check also showing mist fog for the woodhead tunnel rocks

XC weather for dunford bridge has it clear all night

Damian

Well according to that weather map it's cloudy tomorrow night

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Same here. If it is nice I will be up there at 9.00 at the sailing club car park ( the one with the picnic tables)

Is that the best spot at winscar by the sailing club ?, is everyone going there please

Eric

Nights for me Monday so I won't be venturing out.

Hope Vicky is OK she must be badly into the withdrawal symptoms by now not having access to SGL easily?

I think she's talking soupys ear off lol having said that there's not much to report apart from its cloudy oh look more cloud and have u seen that more cloud lol

Mark

Edited by Mark62
  • Like 2

Just to confirm, our next official event is a society trip up to Todmorden observatory on Friday 23rd. Please keep an eye on your emails for further information.

• Like 2
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Goldenmole
      Hi everyone! I hope you are all doing well! I just wanted to ask if anyone had any ideas for projects to do, as the sky is clearing up and i wanted to make the most of it. Anything, maybe finding or tracking a certain celestial object or mapping the moon! I'll leave it up to you!😊
    • By Goldenmole
      Hello everyone! I hope you are all doing well! I recently joined this forum for the express purpose of answering this question: Why does Mars look like a simple star through my telescope? I have a Starsense Explorer LT 80AZ refractor with a 10mm, 25mm and 2x Barlow lens, and my telescope has a max magnification of 189x! So why is it, on a pretty clear winters night, that the mighty Mars, the Red Planet , looks like a humble star. I love stars (who the hell doesn't) but i rather hoped to see a planet. What am i doing wrong? AM i doing something wrong or is my telescope inadequate (i doubt it though). I use the 10mm plus the Barlow, and still nothing. Is this just how Mars looks through a telescope like mine? Or maybe i'm not looking at Mars at all. Although, according to my research, the Red Planet currently resides in the constellation of Aries. Correct? Please. please answer my question as it is driving me up the wall. Plus, if anyone has the time, could someone recommend a good astronomy app, other than the starsense one, that you can just point at the sky? Thank you so much for reading this. Have a lovely day.
    • By Pincs
      Hi, I got a skywatcher classic 200p just before xmas and I havnt done much planet viewing due to not having more than a 10mm eyepiece for magnification. I recently got a 2x barlow lens and tried viewing last night with a barlow and 10mm lens and it came out very blurry and I couldn't see any detail and it still seemed quite small. I was viewing on a close night when there was a break in the clouds so may have not been the best conditions. Any tips for how much magnification I need and how to see it better. Thanks.
    • By FireNIceFly
      Hello, 
      I've been into astronomy since I was young and more recently astrophotography. I've just (finally) got my new telescope, a Celestron AVX 9.25" Edge HD with various accessories including a reducer lens. I'm still trying to get the auto guider up and running as that's being a pain and need to get a dew heater for the telescope (currently lookjng for a decent one). I'm also looking into what filters to get as well as that's still fairly new to me, at least for the astrophotography side. 
      I'm also very much into microscopy and looking at microphotography, I'm currently saving up to get a new microscope. 
      I've also got a facebook group where I share astronomy and science news, where members can share astronomy and science news or their own astro or science images, discuss things, etc. https://www.facebook.com/groups/2494142714158646/?ref=share
      Anyway, hello to all from Cambridge, UK :-) 

Adz

• By Amy cello
      Hi everyone,
      I really want to get out and do some observing- it's been a long summer! 
      Does anyone know of anywhere near Glasgow that you can get to by public transport that's ok for observing.
      I'm not looking for super dark skies- I just want to do something.
      I don't drive so mugdock, campsies etc are out of the question. Kelvingrove has been ruined by that glasglow event every winter. 

Thanks for any help!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.