30 secs banner.jpg

Wakefield and District Astronomical Society (WADAS) Events page

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all, A pleasant evening in terms of company but very little to write on here astronomy wise. Managed a few brief views of the stars through tiny gaps but not much else. Hopefully we will have bette

Hi all, This isn't aimed at anyone in particular and I know we all want to post our experiences. Just for clarity of arranging and keeping track on the forth coming events and meets, for members and

As our home thread is getting pretty massive and can be a tad hard to follow at times, this will be the official thread for WADAS events. To make it easier for members and potential members and membe

Posted Images

Good to see Vicky, Ryan, Neil and Eric up at Winscar tonight and a good evening to say I turned up last.

It's been a while but I thoroughly enjoyed being out again even though I am yet again under the weather.

Good company and a pleasant atmosphere

Here's to the rest of winter and the crisp calm nights to come.

Damian

• Like 2

Driving down the M1 with rain & spray battering the car at 9pm I wasn't feeling too optimistic about the sky at winscar, but when I arrived there it was superb, and pleased to see Vicky,Neil,Ryan & later Damian also.

Couldn't believe when I put my glasses on even I could see M31 .

My first outing with the new scope was a bit messy, need plenty of practice, but encouraged by its potential anyway.

Eric

• Like 1

Sounds like you all had a good time.

I had a pretty good session in the back garden, but everything I looked it, I was just thinking: need darker skies!

The next clear night will probably be 25th!! Full Moon AND Christmas Day (at least I'll have a couple of new toys to play with.

• Like 2

Had a cracking night last night with the crew! Bit on the nippy side but we were treated with some great views as the others have said. Really looking forward to getting back up there. Hopefully sooner this time lol! Come on weather!!! [emoji1][emoji437][emoji108]

• Like 2

Hi all,

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular and I know we all want to post our experiences.

Just for clarity of arranging and keeping track on the forth coming events and meets, for members and guests, could we try to keep all the general chat on the main WADAS thread guys

Many thanks to all and keep an eye on the thread to post meetings and times

Damian

• Like 4

Our next Friday Observing session is due tomorrow night, and as Damian says we also have our Geminids event this Sunday.

Please keep an eye here for updates and info on if they are going ahead.

• Like 3

Not too sure if anyone is out at Winscar or Middlestown tonight, but cloud is patchy with some strong gusts of wind up Huddersfield way. If you are going observing please post so others can join you.

• Like 2

Hi all,

I have checked several weather forecasts and the general consensus is that it is going to be 100% cloud or foggy on most.

Pretty much as it is now with the poor visibility remaining throughout the night.

If anyone is going up I will travel up there but I think it would be an evening of chatting and warm drinks(plus chocolate) with little chance of seeing any Geminids.

Damian

• Like 2
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Liv
      I saw another post similar to this on here and the replies seemed to be very believable and informative so I thought I’d ask here.

For the past week or so I have been sitting outside at night between 10pm and 12pm and just watching the stars come out. I haven’t been using my telescope because I didn’t feel like I would need it. The skies have been very clear and the stars beautiful but I’ve been noticing some strange happenings in the sky. I’m not saying ufos I’m just wondering what these may be, so let me explain further.
      First my mother and I witnessed a singular light, white light flying through the sky. There were no navigation lights or sounds. Just a singular light flying by, we ruled out airplanes because it was two low to be one but was also way too fast to be a helicopter. I’ve seen them twice and they always seem incredibly high up and barely distinguishable from stars. They aren’t shooting stars because they fly completely differently. Another thing I have noticed are flashes, like stars that get bigger and then suddenly disappear, like a flash. And I mean completely disappear! Now I’m sure I’ve read of these things before in one of my astronomy books but I’m honestly not sure what they could be. They fly and react different to any aircraft or stars so I’m intrigued. They also appear as if they are stars and look like they fly or flash right next to real stars. 

Now I feel like I need to note that I know a lot about astronomy it has amazed me since childhood and I am a skeptic. My family has a long history of being in the airforce, mostly as engineers and creators of new technology so when it comes to lights in the sky we usually have a good answer, but no one could explain these sightings. I also live near an airfield so I don’t understand why (if these aircraft were from there) were flying so incredibly high up, so fast and so far away from the airfield, they seemed to come out of the night and fly off and back into the dark. It was also completely clear nights with little clouds during these sightings.
      I’m asking here because I believe anyone who reads this will have a good answer for me and won’t immediately ridicule me for thinking I saw a UFO. Please let me know if there’s anything you think this could be or any questions you have! Thank you so much for reading and happy stargazing!
    • By WolfAstronomer
      I just recently got 15x70 Celestron Skymaster binoculars, and finally got a nice clear sky. I'm in bortle zone 4. I looked up online how to find certain messier objects, and looked for them, but i couldn't find them. (btw, i do have a tripod, and i used that most of the time) Why couldn't I find ANY messier objects?? I was certain i would be able to find some.... 
      Any tips?
    • By Goldenmole
      Hi everyone! I hope you are all doing well! I just wanted to ask if anyone had any ideas for projects to do, as the sky is clearing up and i wanted to make the most of it. Anything, maybe finding or tracking a certain celestial object or mapping the moon! I'll leave it up to you!😊
    • By Goldenmole
      Hello everyone! I hope you are all doing well! I recently joined this forum for the express purpose of answering this question: Why does Mars look like a simple star through my telescope? I have a Starsense Explorer LT 80AZ refractor with a 10mm, 25mm and 2x Barlow lens, and my telescope has a max magnification of 189x! So why is it, on a pretty clear winters night, that the mighty Mars, the Red Planet , looks like a humble star. I love stars (who the hell doesn't) but i rather hoped to see a planet. What am i doing wrong? AM i doing something wrong or is my telescope inadequate (i doubt it though). I use the 10mm plus the Barlow, and still nothing. Is this just how Mars looks through a telescope like mine? Or maybe i'm not looking at Mars at all. Although, according to my research, the Red Planet currently resides in the constellation of Aries. Correct? Please. please answer my question as it is driving me up the wall. Plus, if anyone has the time, could someone recommend a good astronomy app, other than the starsense one, that you can just point at the sky? Thank you so much for reading this. Have a lovely day.
    • By Pincs
      Hi, I got a skywatcher classic 200p just before xmas and I havnt done much planet viewing due to not having more than a 10mm eyepiece for magnification. I recently got a 2x barlow lens and tried viewing last night with a barlow and 10mm lens and it came out very blurry and I couldn't see any detail and it still seemed quite small. I was viewing on a close night when there was a break in the clouds so may have not been the best conditions. Any tips for how much magnification I need and how to see it better. Thanks.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.