Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

London Calling!

Power Junkie

Hey everybody.

After having silently lurked and taken notes for quite some time, several years actually, and then having registered two and a half years ago, I thought I’d finally rack up that amazing “1” on my post count.

After several years of debating, deciding, rejecting and repeating the process...I have finally purchased my first ever telescope!

What started out as “Hmm...an 8” Dobsonian seems to be the best option” has turned into “I have a brand spanking new Celestron SCT 9.25” CGEM”

...and it was an absolute bargain.

Brand new.

Still sealed.

And bought off of somebody who called it an “unwanted gift”.

It’s entirely possible that I will be pulling my hair out trying to set up, but armed with a few Youtube videos and bags of enthusiasm, I’m going to give it a go. Although I doubt the London sky is going to offer me anything more than a light polluted haze.

So thank you to all the posters who have asked my questions in the past and unknowingly helped me, and to the ‘search’ option, and to those who have recommended books across the threads. I have bought myself a hardback 3 volume set of Burnham’s Celestial Handbook, along with ‘Turn Left at Orion’, ‘Traveller’s Guide To The Solar System’ and several others.

I'm also hoping to get into astrophotography at some point and hope that there is a mount for my 5D Mk 3!

I’m already anticipating “You need to get yourself a dew heater/Bob’s Knobs/etc”, but until I manage to grow and sell a kidney, they’ll have to wait just a short while – although recommendations and advice will always be appreciated; it’s one of the reasons I joined this place as everybody seems to be so helpful and friendly, especially to us newbies!

So that’s me, and I promise to use the search function before I start asking questions!

Zane

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Zane, I'm also in London and you'd be surprised what you can see through that orange glow! Your C9.25 will be a great scope for lunar and planetary observing (and plenty else). The moon is certainly my favourite target as there is just so much to see and its relatively easy to get good photos of it (I'm currently working my way through the lunar 100), likewise Jupiter and Saturn will be captivating in your scope.

Enjoy your new bit of kit!

Craig

Thank you so much for the welcome!

...and nice to see a fellow Londoner, Craig. The moon is my first port of call.

I've just taken a break from setting up the tripod and mount...sure is heavy and I'm sweating more than a gym session.

Hi Zane and welcome to SGL - If you are thinking of astrophotography, there's a few of us imagers about!! Can I suggest that you get hold of a copy of 'Making Every Photon Count' available from the book section of the FLO website IF you think that DSO's are going to be your thing. If planetary is going to be your primary interest then scrub the book recommendation :D

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Thank you all!

Sara, I have added it to my 'To Get' list, and funnikly enough, just saw it mentioned on another persons post.

I definitely want to get into the photography side of things, having seen some jawdroppingly stunning images on here, which I still can't figure out how they were made up.

hello zane im new to this forum as well. ive too recently purchased a c9.25 on a cgem mount . im getting use to the setting up  abit now. any questions please ask me as im sure we can move forward with this scope set up lol.

...that genuinely made me laugh! But it's mine...mine...MINE!!! 

Chris, you've just become my new best friend!
I got as far as setting up the mount/tripod and then realised it didn't come with a power pack, only a cigarette/car charger.

I need to get myself a charger first. I've emailed FLO and hopefully they'll be able to help me out...along with a dew heater shield thingie.

Have you managed to collimnate it and get an eyeful of skyfall?

Archived