Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My first attempt at Solar photography

DRT

Thanks, Stu - yes, I noticed that and it is very obvious through an eyepiece. The view through my Pan 41mm is superb this morning - lots of graining across the disk and the faculae much brighter than in the photograph.

I think I need a dual-speed focuser if I want clearer images :rolleyes:

Thanks, Stu - yes, I noticed that and it is very obvious through an eyepiece. The view through my Pan 41mm is superb this morning - lots of graining across the disk and the faculae much brighter than in the photograph.

I think I need a dual-speed focuser if I want clearer images :rolleyes:

Dual speed definitely helps. Solar seems very critical on focus and was the reason for me embarking on a path to financial ruin buy developing a taste for Feathertouch and Moonlite focusers! :)

I have a nice Moonlite on my 120ED, something similar would go nicely on the 100 I should think :)

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/moonlite-focusers/moonlite-cf-crayford-focuser-for-refractors.html

A red one should match the Quark nicely...

Dual speed definitely helps. Solar seems very critical on focus and was the reason for me embarking on a path to financial ruin buy developing a taste for Feathertouch and Moonlite focusers! :)

I have a nice Moonlite on my 120ED, something similar would go nicely on the 100 I should think :)

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/moonlite-focusers/moonlite-cf-crayford-focuser-for-refractors.html

Moonlight + Quark = Next Year's Bonus :wink:

Oh yes, sorry was thinking you had one already, getting confused.

Meant to say, granulation is often more obvious at low mag isn't it? In good seeing though you can whack the power right up in the Baader and the granulation is amazing.

Pretty impressive for a first go Derek, as Stu says focus is tricky on the Sun, I bought a Moonlight for the Lunt (in matching red) and still fitted it with a motor focuser for imaging.

Dave

Oh yes, sorry was thinking you had one already, getting confused.

Meant to say, granulation is often more obvious at low mag isn't it? In good seeing though you can whack the power right up in the Baader and the granulation is amazing.

The granulation is definitely more obvious at low mag and it's a bit too hazy today to bump the mag up too much. The Lunt 50Ha is suffering this morning for the same reason.

I'll add a motor to my shopping list Dave :wink:

Of more benefit would be a remote USB motor-focuser on your existing focuser that allows extremely fine focus control from your laptop ... :smiley:  

Of more benefit would be a remote USB motor-focuser on your existing focuser that allows extremely fine focus control from your laptop ... :smiley:

Not for me as I'm visual only, but yes I'm sure you are right for imaging

Well this is the "Solar Imaging" forum ... :rolleyes:

Aware of that Steve, which is why I said you were right, but I don't want to use a laptop thanks.

Derek also does mainly visual currently so it was said with that in mind.

Aware of that Steve, which is why I said you were right, but I don't want to use a laptop thanks.

Derek also does mainly visual currently so it was said with that in mind.

Thank you for saving my reputation, Stu - I am indeed an observer and have only dropped in here to show my one-click wonder :lol:

Steve, seriously, thanks for the advice, I do appreciate it. I bought the camera because I see such wonderful things through eyepieces that I wanted to share the joy with family and friends. I don't have the inclination, time or patience (let alone the skill or knowledge) to produce the fabulous images that we see here but I am dabbling in the art more through hope than common sense and will post anything that surprises me given my lack of dedication to the sport :wink:

Great shot Derek. "once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny" - Yoda :grin:

I am aware that I am standing on the edge of a cliff.

It is the responsibility of my observer friends to stop me jumping off! :wink:

Archived