NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Nice Vixen 90M Refractor for Sale - But there is a catch

Hi Guys,

I was checking out ebay when I noticed this Vixen 90M only 45 minutes drive away.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/90mm-x-1000mm-VIXEN-TELESCOPE-AND-MOUNT-/191610132621?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c9cda988d

I checked the pics and noticed what looked like a clamshell chip on the objective, so messaged the guy and indeed it is. He has now amended the ad to state this, and he has asked me to make an offer on the OTA.

I'm still interested because I like Vixen and fracs,

I'm not sure how the chip would effect it's value or performance, I guess I could always stop it down a bit?

Any ideas on the OTA value so I can make a sensible offer? 

I said I was just going to bid and see what happens, but he messaged back asking me to call to discuss.

Thanks

Chris 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be a little wary of that one. There is a dent in the dew shield too.

In perfect condition the optical tube would be worth around £130ish I feel. As it is, I'd probably pass on it. 

It may be crude but you could cover the chipped area with black permanent marker. This would prevent the chipped glass from scattering light and would not noticeably affect the optics. Does anyone else agree?

I have seen chips covered with black paint/marker pen and i doubt you would notice much difference when in use.

I sold an 80m in original box with az mount and accessories for £125 and that took a while, so that might give some idea of what its worth?

Thanks guys, all good points. I think I'll either stick to a low bid or pass on it. 

It's good to hear the the views won't be too effected if the chip is covered, I guess it's no different to the Newt's focuser tube protruding into the light path. However, I think it would bug me knowing it's there unless I paid very little for it. 

Cosmetics are fixable but the fabric of the optics are another story. I don't think chips-away can inject it like they do windscreens :D

Cheers for the help :)

I think that's the right decision.  You have to bear in mind that you may need/want to sell it one day and if no-one else wants it because there's a chip in the objective then that might be difficult.  Personally I'd also be concerned given the chip and the dent in the dew shield that it hasn't had the most gentle of treatment during its life and there may be other non-visible problems that even the vendor may be unaware of.

James

....  Personally I'd also be concerned given the chip and the dent in the dew shield that it hasn't had the most gentle of treatment during its life and there may be other non-visible problems that even the vendor may be unaware of.

James

Exactly what would be going through my mind.

Chris,

The vendor was in my view on what I have read trying to hide the fact and only your keen eyes found him out. I would not even consider the scope unless it really was giveaway, it strikes me very few would be interested in chipped optics.

Alan

Yeah I guessed he had hoped no one would spot it. I pointed out that he might get bad rated for not mentioning a defect with the optics, especially if someone traveled a fair way to pick it up!

I do get through more than my fair share of scopes, so resale is a major consideration, and that doesn't look good.   

I'm probably going to completely pass. I sometimes buy a scope or EP just because it's come up for sale at a good price and if I've not tried it before. This isn't the best formula for keeping hold of kit I'm finding.

I'm going to pass :) 

I think that's wise Chris, particularly if you are likely to sell it on. I think Jules (nightfisher) bought a scope with a chip in the objective and had a bit of a challenge moving it on. It's not that it affects the views, just that buyers have a fair choice generally and will avoid or pay very low prices for anything optically damaged.

Yes, i had the Antares 105 f15  (stopped down to 80mm f19 for  a while)   i can honestly say the chip made no difference to the views, and i only sold it due to the length of the thing, the chip was about the size of a 5p bit

If the price was very low with the 90mm i would buy it as a keeper

Chris,

I can't recall who it was but it was a site member, I bought an 11mm Nagler from him, we agreed a price and then he noticed a small mark on the metal barrel and knocked 10 quid off. I can't remember now if I refused completely or paid him a fiver extra than he later asked but when I got the eyepiece I wonder what the fuss was over. I guess that is the type of person we all like to deal with, it's a nice eyepiece which has just come back to me after a stay in Sofia.

Alan

Hi Chris,

Can't disagree with all the above: it will probably not affect the views (I had a chipped objective on a 60mm years ago and blacked it out, it was fine - but very few will pay more than a pittance for it on resale and it will eventually "bug" you knowing you like your kit to be in good nick  :p .

These come up fairly regularly in 80,90 and occasionally 102mm versions, so if I were you I'd wait a while longer.. :smiley:

Dave

As a benchmark, I bought a Vixen 90m OTA with a chipped object glass for £35. As mentioned by others, blacked out it made no difference to the good focused image. A star, well out of focus showed a notch in the outer ring position. I lent it out to someone and never saw it again!   :smiley: 

Jules - I'll keep my eye on it towards the end of bidding just in case. I wish they still sold the Antares f/13 but I guess they stopped both the f/15 and f/13 due to length. I've been tempted once or twice by the 93mm f/11, I think they might have Vixen Japan objectives even? I bet there wasn't any CA at f/19! 

Alan - Sounds like a very conscientious seller, good experience, yes its great when an eyepiece arrives better than expected :) One persons excellent condition can vary to another persons idea of excellent condition so it's always a bit of a gamble. Have you got your hands on the 5mm Nag you're expecting yet?     

Dave - Yes you've got me pegged  :grin: It would bug me. I'm certainly a bit particular, e.g. I'll only use EP's with compression ring fittings, and even then I lower the EP into the diagonal like I'm trying to detach the core of a nuclear device. Oh, and I have to wash my hands and face before I use my astro kit, definately got an OCD thing about that  :rolleyes: 

I'll keep my eyes peeled for others unless this one sells cheap enough that I won't worry, I'd still like a Towa or Kenko 80mm f/15, the sale fell through on the one I was asking you about wich is why I'm still on the lookout for a bigger long frac to accompany my little 60mm brass beauty.    

Peter - lol how rude is that! Check the pictures for this auction just incase it's the same one :D 

Thanks for the benchmark price, I think it would be tempting for that money, the focuser alone would be worth a fair chunk if that kind of money.

Chris, dont worry about the clamshell it doesnt look that much. When i bought my towa off ebay there was no mention of lens issues but I found it had several clamshells around the circumference BUT it was still a bargain so I went for it and Im glad I did cos its a superb scope despite clamshells.

Looking at the photo dont bother about painting it black or stopping down it wont make a discernible difference.

Heres an opportunity to buy a good scope with a useful mount for a bargain price, the mount can be sold on and will probably pay for the initial purchase if your lucky. That leaves a good 90mm scope, admittedly with issues but wont have cost much at all.

However if you are one of these folks who circulates their gear reqularly then I would keep clear because any prospective buyers would be having the same trepidations as you are now.

Chris, the Towa crops up on ebay fairly often, usually branded "Topic"

Hi Jules, I'm keeping an eye on ebay and there's some nice little 60mm Astro/topic/greenkat scopes to choose from. Not seen any Towa/Kenko 76/80mm f15 or similar so far. I'm guessing these where the top end scopes of the time so probably not as many about? I've only been looking a month though so I'll keep my eyes peeled a bit longer :)   

Chris, dont worry about the clamshell it doesnt look that much. When i bought my towa off ebay there was no mention of lens issues but I found it had several clamshells around the circumference BUT it was still a bargain so I went for it and Im glad I did cos its a superb scope despite clamshells.

Looking at the photo dont bother about painting it black or stopping down it wont make a discernible difference.

Heres an opportunity to buy a good scope with a useful mount for a bargain price, the mount can be sold on and will probably pay for the initial purchase if your lucky. That leaves a good 90mm scope, admittedly with issues but wont have cost much at all.

However if you are one of these folks who circulates their gear reqularly then I would keep clear because any prospective buyers would be having the same trepidations as you are now.

Hi philj, I think you've hit the nail on the head with your last point, but your earlier points are making me think about getting it if it's cheap enough and selling the mount. I really don't wan't another mount which is a weird thing to say I know.

it would make a lovely dedicated white light solar scope I bet.

I was once told a tale of someone that owned a Takahashi which fell over onto a table and create a thumbnail sized clamshell in the objective. although it cost him theoretically, he has no intention of selling and as it's not visible visually or in images, it matters not really.

it would make a lovely dedicated white light solar scope I bet.

I was once told a tale of someone that owned a Takahashi which fell over onto a table and create a thumbnail sized clamshell in the objective. although it cost him theoretically, he has no intention of selling and as it's not visible visually or in images, it matters not really.

This happened to a Takahashi, Ouch! :eek:  Although considering these triplets use brittle Fluorite elements I guess it's easily done :mad: 

Yes Shane, solar is a thought, maybe even future PST mod. I've heard the Vixen 80's are excellent for PST modding, not sure about the 90's.  It would be a lovely scope for my Lunt wedge and BV's I bet. I can get a full disc with 25mm Plossls at 1000mm focal length even with the 1.6 Barlow. I think it would be nice on the Moon, planets, and doubles also, and these are my best bet from my garden most nights.

Archived