NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

where in the UK Is best for viewing

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, I would have a look at these light pollution maps of the UK:

http://www.avex-asso.org/dossiers/pl/uk/index.html  Click to zoom in

http://www.avex-asso.org/dossiers/wordpress/?page_id=127

Predominantly parts of Devon and Cornwall, central and northern Wales, Pennines, Northumberland and Cumbria, North Yorkshire, Southern Uplands and the Highlands.

Regards

Dannae

"Predominantly parts of Devon and Cornwall, central and northern Wales, Pennines, Northumberland and Cumbria, North Yorkshire, Southern Uplands and the Highlands."

Provided you are prepared to get plenty of brolly action ... there are some dark skies in them there parts for sure , but they are also the greyest / wettest parts in general ...    :rolleyes:

Where it is clear and dark.

It has to be clear, being dark is then a benefit.

Recall reading that the place with the most sun/least cloud/most clear days was Margate.

So move to Margate would seem to be the one idea.

Lundy Island... (I always fancied living here).

Hi, I would have a look at these light pollution maps of the UK:

http://www.avex-asso.org/dossiers/pl/uk/index.html  Click to zoom in

http://www.avex-asso.org/dossiers/wordpress/?page_id=127

Predominantly parts of Devon and Cornwall, central and northern Wales, Pennines, Northumberland and Cumbria, North Yorkshire, Southern Uplands and the Highlands.

Regards

Dannae

...Seriously, they are very good. I think Phillips also publish a map of light pollution in the UK/GB.

It also depends on what you want to look at. Transparency and seeing are two very important factors to consider. The trouble is, its rare to get a truly transparent night and get good seeing at the same time. The stable atmospheric conditions that allows for good seeing can often be misty, which is great for observing the planets but not good for observing the deep sky. Transparent nights rarely allow for a stable atmosphere, but can offer terrific deep sky views. Occasionally both coincide and we get mind blowing views.

Mike

Where it is clear and dark.

It has to be clear, being dark is then a benefit.

Recall reading that the place with the most sun/least cloud/most clear days was Margate.

So move to Margate would seem to be the one idea.

Mmmm.....

Margate.

margate_beach_at_night_by_steynfx-d3752c

Mid Wales.

SummerMilkyWayDylife2.jpg

A clear sky is meaningless if you can't see anything due to PERMANENT light pollution, clouds are just transient. I'll take my chances with the Welsh weather!

Mmmm.....

Margate.

margate_beach_at_night_by_steynfx-d3752c

Mid Wales.

SummerMilkyWayDylife2.jpg

A clear sky is meaningless if you can't see anything due to PERMANENT light pollution, clouds are just transient. I'll take my chances with the Welsh weather!

Equally I can see some stars if the sky is clear and there is some light pollution.

I can see no stars if it is 100% dark but 100% cloud covered.

I never said no LP I said clearest skies. And I lnew that when written. :grin: :grin: :grin:

For Margate I would use a car, A28 to Stodmarsh NR.

Never know why this question is asked.

The answer is the same - where there is a low population density for reduced lights and low cloud cover by weather percentage. As we tend to live in towns and cities an LP map is a bit redundant. Saying the Highlands if you live in Kent is pointless for a nights viewing. If HO is not aware of his locale and what is there asking the vast majority of SGL people is of little use.

Is HO going to jump in a car and drive to W Wales for a nights viewing - I doubt it. Do we know the places around Hull - No. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Really the answer is the simple one and where most observing is I guess done from - our back gardens.

Equally I can see some stars if the sky is clear and there is some light pollution.

I can see no stars if it is 100% dark but 100% cloud covered.

I never said no LP I said clearest skies. And I lnew that when written. :grin: :grin: :grin:

For Margate I would use a car, A28 to Stodmarsh NR.

Never know why this question is asked.

The answer is the same - where there is a low population density for reduced lights and low cloud cover by weather percentage. As we tend to live in towns and cities an LP map is a bit redundant. Saying the Highlands if you live in Kent is pointless for a nights viewing. If HO is not aware of his locale and what is there asking the vast majority of SGL people is of little use.

Is HO going to jump in a car and drive to W Wales for a nights viewing - I doubt it. Do we know the places around Hull - No. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Really the answer is the simple one and where most observing is I guess done from - our back gardens.

to be fair ronin he did ask were the best places in the uk are, nothing said about being local to him. and i wouldnt say most of my observing is done in my garden either. :smiley:

Although not in the UK (apologies), one very interesting destination has cropped up for UK travellers - the Azores, apparently the Portugese authorites are/have lifted restrictions on what flights can land there (can now fly direct from UK with budget airline), but that may be old news. I could imagine some stunning views there...

Did a little digging, and found some smashing snaps:

http://www.miguelclaro.com/wp/?page_id=3399

lol... not sure I'd enjoy lugging an EQ6 up a volcano though.... :D

And doing a little basic investigation, Hull may not be that far from some very decent places, given that the east coast is the clearest part of the UK in terms of weather, and the dark sky map shows low light pollution along large stretches of the coastline from the Wash to the Humber.

Thing about light pollution maps is, where I live for example (Clacton, Essex) at 1am all the streetlights turn off. On a lp map Clacton is lit up like an Xmas tree, but once them lights go off and with dark adapted eyes I can see the Cygnus portion of milky way from my back garden

Although not in the UK (apologies), one very interesting destination has cropped up for UK travellers - the Azores, apparently the Portugese authorites are/have lifted restrictions on what flights can land there (can now fly direct from UK with budget airline), but that may be old news. I could imagine some stunning views there...

Did a little digging, and found some smashing snaps:

http://www.miguelclaro.com/wp/?page_id=3399

lol... not sure I'd enjoy lugging an EQ6 up a volcano though.... :D

Yep, can vouch for this. My mother is from Fayal in the Azores so I've been there many times - haven't been since getiing into astrophotography though.

You can drive to the caldera rim on Fayal, but this is only about 1100m. Best place is summit of next door Pico - 2350m, but you can only drive up to about 1200m, so you'll have to lug your EQ6 and scope the rest of the way. I climbed it many years ago at night and made it to the summit for sunrise - wont forget that in a hurry.

Word of warning though - Azores weather is just like UK + about 5 degrees, year round. Summer is often cloudy, and climbing Pico is often not possible due to cloud. Its a fabulous place, but I'm thinking Canaries would be safer bet for high elevation cloud free sites.

PS - Skies in rural East Sussex are also very good!!

Archived