SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

where in the UK Is best for viewing

It must be Sark in the Channel Islands the only dark sky site island in the world,not even one street light!

Not entirely light pollution free- Guernsey (population ~70,000) is just 4 miles West and Jersey (population ~100,000) is 10 miles due South!

I don't how many lighting fixtures there on the other islands but you can bet they are in proportion to the population. In effect Sark is sandwiched between two major towns. Granted it's darker than many places on the mainland UK.

If you have any doubts about how far light pollution can be seen over sea- check out Chad Powell's Milky Way images from the Isle of Wight.

http://www.isleofwightmilkyway.com/

The far light domes are from towns in France over 80 miles away! (EDIT- maybe even Jersey & Guernsey?)

%5BGroup+0%5D-IMG_2074_IMG_2098-13+image

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just wondering if this question holds any relevance to observing with just binoculars, did you not mention in a previous topic that you "got frustrated with a telescope" and opted instead for binoculars.

I understand the importance of a dark site for gaining contrast on dim Deep Space Objects, but not sure if it would be the same for binocular viewing.

Have you thought about trying again for a telescope and increasing your observing experience?

There's plenty of help around if you ask the right questions

Thanks for the mention! :)

Not entirely light pollution free- Guernsey (population ~70,000) is just 4 miles West and Jersey (population ~100,000) is 10 miles due South!

I don't how many lighting fixtures there on the other islands but you can bet they are in proportion to the population. In effect Sark is sandwiched between two major towns. Granted it's darker than many places on the mainland UK.

If you have any doubts about how far light pollution can be seen over sea- check out Chad Powell's Milky Way images from the Isle of Wight.

http://www.isleofwightmilkyway.com/

The far light domes are from towns in France over 80 miles away! (EDIT- maybe even Jersey & Guernsey?)

%5BGroup+0%5D-IMG_2074_IMG_2098-13+image

"Predominantly parts of Devon and Cornwall, central and northern Wales, Pennines, Northumberland and Cumbria, North Yorkshire, Southern Uplands and the Highlands."

Provided you are prepared to get plenty of brolly action ... there are some dark skies in them there parts for sure , but they are also the greyest / wettest parts in general ...    :rolleyes:

Can vouch for that, I live under one of those skies...

Just in case anyone wants to make the journey, Ireland has an awarded (2014) International dark sky reserve in Co Kerry, in the area around Little Skellig. On a dark night I imagine you can`t even see your Guinness :D

Although no lp there are also few cloudless nights nw scotland

Ah yes. You are indeed correct. I misread the map. Probably more like Ireland and mid Wales it is then. At least that's a bit closer :grin:

I award the Darkest UK Location Award to St. Kilda........

Scotland-Map1.jpg

Can't get much further away from civilisation in Britain!

Expect a observation report from Faulksy / Estwing soon...  :D

You are right, though. Did some research sometime back and that 'part' of the UK is blacker than Hotblack Desiato's stuntship....

Just in case anyone wants to make the journey, Ireland has an awarded (2014) International dark sky reserve in Co Kerry, in the area around Little Skellig. On a dark night I imagine you can`t even see your Guinness :D

watched the show last week. looks brilliant. 3rd darkest sky in the world. nz no1 and Africa no2. should hold sgl11 there :grin:

Expect a observation report from Faulksy / Estwing soon...  :D

You are right, though. Did some research sometime back and that 'part' of the UK is blacker than Hotblack Desiato's stuntship....

:grin:  :grin: what are you like sam :smiley:

Faulsky said:

"watched the show last week. looks brilliant. 3rd darkest sky in the world. nz no1 and Africa no2. should hold sgl11 there :)

I missed the program, but my Wife drew my attention to it, so I had a peek around. Taking into account the expense and distances round the World you could to travel to visit these famous dark sites, low and behold we end up with the 3rd darkest venue, vurtually on our doorstep, can`t be bad :)

Faulsky said:

"watched the show last week. looks brilliant. 3rd darkest sky in the world. nz no1 and Africa no2. should hold sgl11 there :)

I missed the program, but my Wife drew my attention to it, so I had a peek around. Taking into account the expense and distances round the World you could to travel to visit these famous dark sites, low and behold we end up with the 3rd darkest venue, vurtually on our doorstep, can`t be bad :)

that would be brilliant john what do you think.there would be a few up for it, crossing on the ferry is 60 quid already looked into it :grin:

It would, because of circumstance, not be for me regretfully, but for some of you younger guys into imaging, I am sure there will be some B&B with the usual Irish hospitality in the locality, as it is quite a large area :)

Archived