NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SHOW US YOUR NEWTS........

Just seen this thread - thought I'd throw in some pics of my double truss newt.

Optics were from an Orion SPX350, but I got fed up of the thin walled tube that just wasn't enough to take the weight of everything for imaging. Bought the spider and new mirror cell, and reused the Moonlite CR2, but everything else I designed and made with help from a couple of mates, one who can weld ally, and one has a mill in his garage.

I need shrouds, to wire up the secondary dew heater, and to mount the new PC on the scope, but it's otherwise working!

Mount underneath is a Losmandy Titan - might need another counterweight too :-/

IMG_20171124_000920.thumb.jpg.21eca6ee913689b5fb1f6172d20fb404.jpg

IMG_20171124_000622.thumb.jpg.525677efb6d63214260824eb2efad077.jpg

IMG_20171124_000609.thumb.jpg.939735f9bb4cdd094dfdb42b7c1c0147.jpg

• Like 11

13 hours ago, alacant said:

Thanks. Good to know. Next problem is that it doesn't reach focus with a dslr. Even with an 11mm Canon t-ring, there's not enough outward travel on the focuser. As I'm using the Aplanatic cc I can't use an extension tube so I'm gonna need a collar which slides over the cc to push the camera further out from the focuser, or take pot luck tightening the focuser without pushing the cc fully home. Why they've put the secondary so close to the primary, I've no idea. Close to giving up. Surely, it can't be this difficult! Any ideas anyone?

Cheers and clear skies.

I don't recall having this issue- although I use mainly the Baader MkIII Coma Corrector which is a much shorter device than the aplanatic CC. You could always move the primary up the tube say 10mm by taking a slice off the bottom end!

12 hours ago, laser_jock99 said:

You could always move the primary up the tube say 10mm

Hi. Unfortunately, that would make matters worse. I'm already at the end of outward travel of the focuser; I need further out. I've reluctantly given up. Here's my newt:

IMG_20180112_073053406_HDR.thumb.jpg.8180e9b2875177d15c52399f62c69359.jpg

Edited by alacant

My 250px skyliner.

2018-01-12_07-43-54

Setting circle and wixey fitted. Dew shield and dew bands, lazy susan bearing, shed leveling feet, heated telrad, fully flocked, cooling fan and resistor on the secondary. Lacerta focusor upgrade and also now has a 10x60 raci finder.

Edited by tuckstar
  • Like 6

On 12/01/2018 at 06:50, alacant said:

Hi. Unfortunately, that would make matters worse. I'm already at the end of outward travel of the focuser; I need further out. I've reluctantly given up. Here's my newt:

IMG_20180112_073053406_HDR.thumb.jpg.8180e9b2875177d15c52399f62c69359.jpg

Not sure I understand your problem. The normal 'cure' to extend the point of focus outwards beyond the current travel of the focusser is to move the primary mirror closer to the secondary (i.e. shorten the the tube).

1 hour ago, laser_jock99 said:

Not sure I understand your problem. The normal 'cure' to extend the point of focus outwards beyond the current travel of the focusser is to move the primary mirror closer to the secondary (i.e. shorten the the tube).

That or you can use an extension tube (though you might land up vignetting at the drawtube if it's too far out). I have to use a 2" extension to come to focus as I designed the scope for imaging and so have 60 mm between lowest travel and focal plane. Works fine

• Like 1

15 hours ago, laser_jock99 said:

Not sure I understand your problem.

Sorry. My poor explanation.

1. You attach a dslr with a GPU (Aplanatic) coma corrector; the latter not affecting the position of focus.
  2. To focus, you find you need to rack out the focuser (away from the tube).
  3. You get to the furthest point away from the tube; the focuser will not rack out any more.
  4. You are still not in focus, needing several more cm outward.
15 hours ago, laser_jock99 said:

move the primary mirror closer to the secondary

Moving the primary up the tube would make matters worse:( Due to its design, I cannot use an extension tube with the cc but even if I could, I'd still end up with a dslr 15cm from the tube; flex city!

Cheers and thanks for your replies.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, iPeace said:

Still looking forward to trying a 150 f/6? :icon_biggrin:

If you mean me trying one, sadly my astro spending is on hold thanks to the demise of my car, still need to get it fixed and then sell the thing, then see if i can PX the temp purchase Honda for something a little newer, so hobby spending is out  for the forseable:hmh:

1 hour ago, nightfisher said:

If you mean me trying one, sadly my astro spending is on hold thanks to the demise of my car, still need to get it fixed and then sell the thing, then see if i can PX the temp purchase Honda for something a little newer, so hobby spending is out  for the forseable:hmh:

Yes, I read about that. :(

As for me, I'm enjoying this newt so much that I'm sure I'll want another, perhaps a 200mm f/6, in due course. Keeping this one a bit longer will fit in well with that.

Just waiting for the Moon to return...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/16/2018 at 20:30, iPeace said:

Show you my what? Ah, I see... I only have the one.

DSC_1366.thumb.JPG.b678a7f3470ed0dc9d9d1a51503b9194.JPG

TS/GSO 150mm f/6. Losmandy AZ8 on Berlebach Planet.

:happy11:

And we all know just how good its being too, nice that you have joined the Newt Brigade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1