NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from a learner living in darkest Wales

Langworthy

I've been fascinated by astronomy since I was a child - I'm now 56! I have recently bought my first telescope, a Sky-watcher Explorer 200P and am having such a lot of fun - and in the last few months I have learnt an extraordinary amount both by reading and looking. As a dyed-in-the-wool bibliophile my already large book collection is now expanding at a rate which is seriously alarming my wife. Who needs shelves anyway?

I'm not a scientist by training (I studied law and history and I work as freelance editor of academic law and history titles), so I often struggle with the heavier scientific details involved in this hobby, but I'm just about keeping my head above water. 

I've already placed a few posts on this site with some very basic, non-scientific, practical queries and they've been fully answered by some really helpful, friendly folk.

Anyway, hello one and all.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Warm Welcome to SGL Langworthy. Great scope to start out with, if you need a few tomes try 'sky&telescope pocket star atlas' and 'turn left at orion' these will help you 'learn' the sky. Also download a planetarium program, plenty out there but try Stellarium, its great and free, to be found here

:----- http://www.stellarium.org/

Hwyl!

Warm Welcome to SGL Langworthy. Great scope to start out with, if you need a few tomes try 'sky&telescope pocket star atlas' and 'turn left at orion' these will help you 'learn' the sky. Also download a planetarium program, plenty out there but try Stellarium, its great and free, to be found here

:----- http://www.stellarium.org/

Hwyl!

I have both the Pocket Sky Atlas and Turn Left at Orion on my desk as I type this. Both really useful. I'll check out Stellarium - thanks.

Hi Jem and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us and also that you have found the site so hopeful so far. This is a great place with loads of folks willing to impart their knowledge to help others. Remember none of us were born knowing this stuff - We all started at the same point :D

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hi Langworthy!

Welcome to the forum!  Love the Llangorse area.  I used to work there years ago before I got into astronomy so didn't really appreciate the skies there.  So, with your proximity to Hay on Wye, can I blame you for snaffling out all the good astronomy titles before I get there then? :lol:   I visit a couple of times a year hoping to route out some hidden astro gems, but end up coming away empty handed!  Hope the move to Gloucestershire goes OK for and you find some good clear skies there too!

Cheers

Tony

Archived