Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How much have you spent over the years? - Astronomy might be cheaper than you think.

I sold all my gear last year as I had less time to use now circumstances have changed I've re started putting back together what I hope is a nice visual set up as for cost I'm about a few hundred pounds in pocket still so far but as we all know astro stuff is like chocolate can't resist but I'd say cheaper and better value than my friends Golf habit .

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've now to include the cost of my camping equipment for SGLX so that's another £250 - Is it ever going to stop? Hopefully not.

I was always advised:-

If you're skint - Do I need it? Can I afford it? Is it cheaper elsewhere?

If you're not skint - Will I use it? Is it worth it? Is it cheaper elsewhere?

This logic doesn't work with astronomy related kit as no matter what the answers are to the above questions I buy it anyway.

Well my total has just gone up by about £900 albeit almost all raised by sales so net outlay (this time around) is hardly anything.

Thats the way I do it now. Re-circulate the investment. Thank goodness for the thriving used astro equipment market :smiley:

The way I see it is that the cost of something isn't really about the £s, €s or $s spent. Buying anything also costs time, effort, and sacrifice.

When someone says they've spent X amount on something I feel nothing until they can tell me how many hours they needed to work to pay for X. In that way, I can better evaluate the time (the hours of their life), the effort and sacrifice they really paid for that item. 

No matter what material footing we're on, the more stuff bought, the more one ends up exchanging life for those things. The question, then, is how much of one's life is one willing to give up for those things purchased?

In a sense, it would be a sorry story if one replied that they had laboured only to end up accumulating dross that they couldn't find the time to use or enjoy. The real cost of those purchases would be more than mere money.

Likewise, what a joyful story to hear that the hours of drudegry, sacrifice, scrimping and saving for astro-gear paled into insignificance when stargazers reflected on the hours of pleasure, knowledge, friendships and creativity which come from it. The choice to sacrifice a portion of our everyday life and the hours we must work for the things we own, have, after all, been worth it.

Surely that is the real cost of something?

Surely that is the real cost of something?

Absolutely right, although I'm afraid most people won't see it this way because it's not directly measurable. Still, I completely agree - the time invested in it is far more precious than the amount of money exchanged for the gear.

If I added it up and posted it publicly it would probably end up in divorce

Darren

------------------------------------------------

Twitter: @SalAstroSoc @Astronut1639 www.salfordastro.org.uk

Nexstar 8 GPS ADM MDS Rings & Counter Weights, Skywatcher ST80 & Synguider, Canon EOS 1000d,

Dew Heaters & 4 Channel Controller, Orbit Wedge, Observatory and not enough clear nights

I’ve just added it all up (I am at home with the lurgy and have nothing else to do!) and in the last three years I have made 44 purchases totalling £4,045 – that’s just over £110 per month.

This includes scopes, cameras, mounts, accessories, electronics, software, books and bags but excludes magazines, memberships, shows, etc.

I can confidently say that every purchase was worthwhile and gets used but the most useful item and best value for money was definitely the binoculars.  

Other statistics:

Of the total spend, £2,910 was new and £1,135 was used.

I estimate I saved £1,169 by buying used.

Average price of new item was £85 compared to £113 for second hand.

Vendor spend breakdown:

22% - First Light Optics

17% - Ian King

32% - Various other vendors

29% - Second Hand (mostly from ABS)

:)

Rob

I think that everybody eventually gets to a point where they don't need more money in the bank, they actually need more time to spend what they have already accumulated.

It's getting the balance right so that you don't leave too much behind; but equally you want to leave something to help your benefactors.

On that cheery note I've just coated my eyepiece optics in pale pink  nail varnish - no matter what the cloud cover is like my view of the universe is guaranteed to be "rose tinited" 

"I think that everybody eventually gets to a point where they don't need more money in the bank, they actually need more time to spend what they have already accumulated".

Isn't that called retirement?. Not gonna happen for me until about 2035. I am however living more happily and comfortable since selling my old house and buying this one. Thankfully i honestly think im done with spending on astro gear (for now). Possibly the only thing i may splurge out on in the next year or two is a good bino viewer and thats only because they interest me and i'd like to try one out.

At some point in the future i may look at getting an automated RO-RO shed/obsy constructed with a warm room so that all my gear is in one place and i dont need to carry any actual gear anywhere. I may have to use Baz Assign from Australia to plan and construct it for me. His Obsy is the best i have ever seen. I'd feed and water him for the duration of the project.......but i'm not sure he'd like the Irish weather. Our summer would be like his winter (or worse).

LOL.

There's a guy not too far away from me who has a 28" Planewave and a 14" Planewave in his backyard observatory. I said "ok you win".

Wow - he'd beat me at "Astronomy Top Trumps" any day as I can't compete on the telescope front unless I sell my other baby - a 5.7 litre V8 Chevy powered AC cobra? 400BHP weighing 875Kg so 457BHP / Tonne - 0-60mph in 3.9secs (if I can get the power down) Hopefully I might "out car" him :-)

Archived