NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Please, whatever you do, do NOT buy one of these

David Smith

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is an example of the good that people knowledgeable in a particular field can do. I can't imagine anyone who has been a member of this forum for even a very short time using on of these. The danger is to a casual telescope user who may see it and think they'll give it a try. Michael's informed message to the vendor will do more good than someone telling them they've heard they might he risky. Of course they might just put a warning on the packaging, you know like peanuts may contain nuts sort of thing.

Just looked and the advert is still there. Totally agree they are highly dangerous. I send a message to the seller.

I recall reading that sometime ago, cheap telescopes often came supplied with such filters and public pressure eventually got a rethink on what suppliers sent out with their cheap telescopes. It is horrifying that these filters are still available, they're outright dangerous.

The ebay policy states that hazardous items can be listed provided that the description of the product "Clearly describes the hazardous nature of the product"

However, the item in itself is not inherently hazardous.

But the ebay guidelines (Not Allowed Items) then go on to say:

"Items that pose a health or safety hazard as specified by government agencies. We will remove listings at the request of government agencies"

Not sure what agencies these are?

I think it should be removed from sale.

Sending or linking to a copy of Stephen's very informative video to the UK vendor might also help. Especially with the Eclipse coming around soon.

Thats just what I did do.

I got the same reply that Michael did.

Still up, I contacted both the seller and ebay. 

They also want to ruin your camera now! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Astronomical-Telescope-Camera-Adapter-Bracket-1-25-T-Mount-M42x0-75-Tracking-/400841759491?pt=UK_Telescope_Mounts&hash=item5d5407db03

If their ads are still up tomorrow I would suggest a mass hit on them via 'ask seller a question' 

Paul 

Well there were enough of us voicing our concerns, I also received a similar reply from vicky. 

If we can muster 50 of us to send 20 questions each they may take it seriously when they have to deal with 1000 questions in a clogged up in-box that will impact on their business.

Sometimes this is the only way! And there is nothing illegal about it. 

Does anyone know people in the press who will run this story, especially with he interest in the eclipse amongst the public.  'Chinese want to blind us' would be a good headline. 

eBay listing has gone, nice emails from vicky.  oops found another - US market eBay.

Good news in part at least.

One of the earlier posts raised a really good point about the eclipse coming up. Can I suggest that any of us that are members of societies etc run a web feature/newsletter etc highlighting the dangers of solar viewing with a particular emphasis on avoiding these like the plague.

good to hear the listing is gone - hopefully for good

I tried to get hold of Trading Standards - they would be one government agency with some responsibility here - I thought

But was told they are now run my Local Authorities and focus on local issues, showing no interest in internet sales like this - unless someone can point me to a national helpline/web address

I would not be surprised if they reapear again. There is very little consumer regulation in China, dodgy goods are on sale all the times as are poor clones and horrible copies. ebay might remove it for a while but they are as money driven as the suppliers of these filters.

Does anyone have any idea what these filters are actually intended for ?? I'm guessing there must be some market for them as I do seem to come across them an awful lot. There seems to be someone manufacturing them and suppliers selling them so I assume there is a market for them some where and for some reason ??? I think the problem is that those who do sell them clearly do not know what the filters are for either and are happily selling them as a means to visually look at the sun.

Although saying that it does seem that some people really do not get the whole concept that looking at the sun through a telescope really does come with its dangers http://www.eurastro.de/iya/100HA2/100HA2.htm OUCH!!

eBay here in the US is even harder to send a report for a listing than in the UK - unless you bought one.

I'll hunt them down on Monday. I'm sorry to see several have already been sold. War is declared! I'm a political-activist. And I'll make mince-meat out of 'em.

Tally Ho!

Dave

Archived