High power planetary eyepiece.

Hello.I have two telescopes a 120mm skywatcher ed refractor and an Orion Optics f6 1/10 wave. My higest power eyepiece at the moment is a Pentax 8.5mm XF. But I have a gap in my colection.That being either a 5mm or 4.5mm eyepiece.Some say for plaenary viewing I should get an orthoscopic or modern Kellner.These have around 42 degree field.But my setup is a manual Altair Sabre mount.So for manual tracking I thought perhaps an eyepiece with a larger field of view.Any advice would be welcome,especially with Christmas coming up

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

despite i love orthoscopic eye pieces,i would not suggest 4 or 5 mm ortho for manual telescope.Not only that,you need to be sure that you will be OK with that tight eye relief these eye pieces give on that focal length.I would look for something in wide FOV range in likes of EX Sc or Meade 5000 series 82 degrees 6.7mm or 4.7mm or alternatively Pentax XW or TV Delos ( 70deg) or maybe a Nagler(82 deg)? But if you feel very x-masy and have a cash burning your pocket why not look at TV Ethos in 6mm or alternatively Ex Sc 5mm 100 degree range??

Choices eh?? :D

The advantage of the XW is that It is parfocal with the XF you have. A Delos is way out from the XF. I used the XF8.5 between my XW7 and XW10. Very good combination. If you want something in between, you can fill the gaps with SLVs from Vixen. The have smaller FOV, but are excellent, and parfocal (or very close) to the XWs and XF (or at least my SLV5 is parfocal with my XWs)

The advantage of the XW is that It is parfocal with the XF you have. A Delos is way out from the XF. I used the XF8.5 between my XW7 and XW10. Very good combination. If you want something in between, you can fill the gaps with SLVs from Vixen. The have smaller FOV, but are excellent, and parfocal (or very close) to the XWs and XF (or at least my SLV5 is parfocal with my XWs)

This is very helpful for me in my consideration of XWs...

The XF, like the Vixen NLV eyepieces have the focal point at the top of the shoulder.

Thanks

Chris C

I have used orthoscopics before and agree the they are good for planetary observation.But I am manual so need the wider field.I have heard that some of the more exotic eyepieces have many elements which are also thicker and may reduce light transmission and contrast.So is it that there is a cut of point where by the wider fields may begin to over do it as it were?

I guess that a 50 degree eyepiece would still be a lot better and more comfortable to use than an orthoscopic.

I think modern glass and coating technologies have reduced light loss due to extra glass to very low levels indeed. The Pentax XW's, which have 8 lens elements, have a light transmission of 96% which is actually the same or even more than most 4 element eyepieces.

I could not tell any difference in terms of contrast, transmission, sharpness and light scatter between the 4 element Baader 6mm Genuine Ortho and the 7 element Vixen SLV 6mm when I compared them on a number of targets.

Well rather strange, I have or have had every eyepiece suggested on this thread apart from the Vixen SLV which when I was reading the OP thought, Vixen 5mm after reading John's review, that seems a good one without breaking the bank.

However I am never one to spend just 100 pounds when with effort I can spend more and have another top quality toy, not that the Vixen will not live up to the billing but the others offer wider FOV. I would agree with advice already given, the Pentax XW 5mm is as good as any as is the 4.5mm Delos. The 5.5mm Meade is very good but not quite in the same class but not as costly, I reviewed this with the 6mm Delos some time back and it also seems out of stock everywhere . I would also say the Nagler zoom is top draw as well but not quite as good as the the other fixed focal length Pentax and TV, it also has a smaller field and costs even more money.

So based on firsthand opinion and if you want a fixed 5mm focal length go for the Pentax XW and if you wish to save a little either the SLV or Meade.

My old planetary eyepiece set was comprised of the classic 7,6 and 5mm KK Orthos. They were very good eyepieces in terms of sharpness and  contrast and were excellent value for money.

But eye relief and narrow field of view was tiresome.

I now have a 7mm XW, a 6mm Radian and a 5mm XW - they are all very comfortable to use with good eye relief, a wide field of view and just as good as the Orthos in terms of sharpness and contrast. I can look through them for a long time without getting eye strain - even the wife likes them !!!

Yes they are very expensive but for the ease of use they provide then for me they are worth the money.

Televue 3-6mm Nagler. I have one and it gets only occasional use.

But when it does (including solar) it's so sweet to be able to adjust magnification to exactly suit the viewing conditions. At these mags, sometimes I can use 4mm, but on other nights pushing past 4.5mm is an ask. Rarely, I get to play at sub 4mm, but what I do know is there isn't a cat in hells chance I would entertain the cost of the EPs that would cover that range and with that sharpness, never mind the infinite number of positions in between the zoom offers.

I'd also add that after a brief dalliance with Orthos, I find the Nagler Zoom much easier in terms of eye relief and that alone ensures it's position as a keeper. Got mine for £180 second hand. Bargain.

Russell

I must admit the Nagler 3-6 zoom has been at the back of my mind for some time.I have been influenced by the fact that wider fields of view would better suit manual mounts.But the Altair Sabre mount that I have is very smooth in it's action with no juddery motion when panning.Perhaps it may be time to give on a go.

Televue 3-6mm Nagler. I have one and it gets only occasional use.

But when it does (including solar) it's so sweet to be able to adjust magnification to exactly suit the viewing conditions. At these mags, sometimes I can use 4mm, but on other nights pushing past 4.5mm is an ask. Rarely, I get to play at sub 4mm, but what I do know is there isn't a cat in hells chance I would entertain the cost of the EPs that would cover that range and with that sharpness, never mind the infinite number of positions in between the zoom offers.

I'd also add that after a brief dalliance with Orthos, I find the Nagler Zoom much easier in terms of eye relief and that alone ensures it's position as a keeper. Got mine for £180 second hand. Bargain.

Russell

everyone is different. I use mine almost every time out

everyone is different. I use mine almost every time out

Very good point this and one we all overlook all to often. I used to have a 24mm/82 degree maxivision that saw very little light, I didn't get on with it so it was sold.

Your best eyepieces are the ones you use the most.

I was going to leave it with the above profound statement but lets face it, if we were all happy with our EP collection, the manufacturers would soon be out of business, it is only our thirst for ever more clarity/contrast/depth/FOV that drives the innovation that brings us better (and more expensive) lumps of glass. #newmeade #hopetheyaregood

Archived