Orion and Neighbours

Made some more progress processing my images from the 23rd and 24th, I'm very happy with this set. Also viewable on Flickr.

15771819569_35389d553a_b.jpg

This was taken with my kit lens at 17mm at f5.0. It's only 28 minutes of data (8x210 second subs) as the lens dewed up very quickly. That's the Rosette Nebula half way up on the left hand edge of frame.

Here's a slightly improved version of my Orion 50mm shot.

15778793728_1861dc0928_b.jpg

(50mm lens at f4.5 on my modded Canon 1100D. 22x210 second subs, ~77 minutes total.)

Also had a go at the Belt and Sword with my 135mm f2.5 Takumar at f4.0.

15338996053_b3ee6bf466_b.jpg

(21x120 second subs, 42 minutes total.)

And the Rosette with the same lens.

15961168775_11eba72f64_b.jpg

(15x120 second subs, 30 minutes total.)

I've made some decent progress on the processing side. I applied gradient removal to the two wide shots in StarTools, this worked much better after I cropped a few pixels off the edges of the frame - stacking artifacts were confusing it. For the 50mm Orion and Belt & Sword images I blended in a separately stretched image for the core of M42 to prevent it from blowing out using Photoshop CS2, using this excellent guide.

I'm going to try and get some more data on the Belt and Sword shot at the earliest opportunity, of the four images it's the one that would benefit most I think.

All feedback welcome as always.

Thanks for the comments. :)

Olly very kindly had a quick go at processing my Orion 50mm image using Pixinsight, here is the result.

15348301084_d82ec0e952_b.jpg

He used the DBE (dark background extraction?) tool which has done a far better job of cleaning up the gradients than I could manage with StarTools, I'm not sure what other steps were taken. Just goes to show what a powerful piece of software it is in the right hands. It certainly makes me want to learn more about processing. :)

Thanks for the comments. :)

Olly very kindly had a quick go at processing my Orion 50mm image using Pixinsight, here is the result.

15348301084_d82ec0e952_b.jpg

He used the DBE (dark background extraction?) tool which has done a far better job of cleaning up the gradients than I could manage with StarTools, I'm not sure what other steps were taken. Just goes to show what a powerful piece of software it is in the right hands. It certainly makes me want to learn more about processing. :)

Actually this just used DBE (Dynamic Background Extraction) and SCNR green noise removal in PI. The rest was in Photoshop CS3. However, I find those two PI steps utterly essential.

Olly

I love the mini horsehead in the 50mm shot. Awesome. Who needs telescopes!

DBE is really very very good, having played around with it for the last 2 days out of my 45 day PixInsight trial. I am going to have to be seriously hard pressed not to buy it after trying. 'The first hit is free'....

These are more than a little impressive...they're stunning. I had a go at the sword and belt a month or so ago and was really happy with it.... Just off to delete it from my computer now :(

I really need to learn how to process now.

Archived