Hey all, good to be on here!!!

TomP

Hi Everyone,

My name's Tom, 27 and from Shropshire, UK :)

I've been interested in Astronomy now for about 3 years properly, when detached from my studies in Art/photography!!!

I own a small number of scopes, I must confess I did rush into things at the start thinking I was clever!!! which was a Celestron Astromaster 130EQ. I don't like it that much, feeling the mount is terrible to use, sadly the one evening it fell over slightly damaged, possibly an omen??

Feeling put off, I decided to go small and buy a Celestron travelscope, much easier to use and enjoyed viewing Jupiter and it's moons just nice and simple to use. Not long after I got myself a pair of Celestron binoculars 20x80 which I enjoy viewing from and wanting more power I got a Skywatcher Heritage 130p. Again, I was feeling it difficult to align and needing a decent surface to enjoy it properly.

This past week after doing some viewing after a long day at University, I decided I wanted something on a tripod, decent power and cheap, which leaves little help. However, I spotted on a local add via social media, a person just up the road was selling a Jessops 114 telescope for £30!! I'd seen mixed reviews, but it was just what I wanted. I picked it up last night and it's like new!!! the people said it's two years old and was a unwanted gift, not a mark on it. 

I'm just waiting now for a dark night to test the scope, however my main scope I want in the future is a nice Dob!!!

I won't babble on scopes, I've also got a number of books including a nice one signed by Buzz Aldrin, while a majority signed by the Late, Great Sir Patrick Moore which I cherish!!! I also have some signed typed letters, maps and other items which I'll post up on here in the future to share.

I look forward to hearing back from everyone and making some friends in the long term!!

Best

Tom.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Tom and welcome to the forum. Lots of experience on here to help you progress, just pop a question in the appropriate section and the replies will quickly follow. We've all made rash purchases without doing the appropriate research (...some of us are still doing it  :grin: ) so as a minimum you're in good company here! 

Clear skies and hope you enjoy the forum.

Massive thank you to everyone for such a warm welcome!!!

It's nice to meet so many fellow stargazers/astronomers in such a short time!!! not to mention two within my area of Shropshire, UK!!!

I look forward to speaking to you all in the future, gaining valuable evidence and knowledge as time progresses!!

I've included a link here, which is a video I created of my Sir Patrick Moore signed items - 

I hope you all enjoy it, believe it or not, some items I picked up for 65p, even checking one book in a charity shop to find it signed!!

Anyway, I've got my fingers crossed for tonight's sky which hopefully I test my new scope!!! 

Best

Tom.

Archived