Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What is the biggest Telescope that You have ever looked through ?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't had much opportunity to play with large scopes unfortunately - surprising enough given how long I've been an astronomer for. There's not that many big scopes in this country - but there is apparently am 18" Obsession within 20 miles of me.

Largest scope looked through was a C14 about 25 years ago, daytime with a solar filter on it, based in Schull Planetarium at the time.

Largest scope looked through recently has been a 12" Skywatcher flextube - and that was impressive given I've been used to using an 8" newt.

Biggest scope I've looked at was the 72" Birr Castle telescope, before it was recommissioned.

Have I got aperture fever, of course I do. I want to get one of those >20" f2.x Dobsonians that I could use without a stepladder, but that'll need a lottery win or similar.

36" F/5 dobsonian - The Yardscope -  at the Winter Star Party, Florida Keys 2003. What we normally see as faint fuzzies showed a lot of structure and detail.

Derrick

Sorry for the multiple post - I was trying to post an image of the scope but it doesn't seem to work for me

That guy started out a normal male weakling before he got that scope :)

That's me standing by the scope BTW, the owner had a whole group of us helping him set it up - he tours around star parties in the USA with it or at least he did when I met him.

Winter Star Party is great - lots of high end scopes, fantastic seeing, fairly dark and 18 Centigrade at midnight in February.

The largest telescope I have ever used visually was a 36" Cass/Newt reflector at the Texas Star Party.   The aperture and the amazing sky conditions combined to provide a view of M13 that will live with me forever.   You could also see the Veil Nebula as a ghostly filamentary glow which extended through several fields of view.

The largest telescope aperture I have ever used for imaging is 60".  I have an account with the Las Cumbres Observatory Global Telescope Network which includes access to the two Faulkes Telescopes in Hawaii and Siding Springs.  Although not physically there of course, once logged in you can control what object you take, the exposures and the filters.  I am effectively in charge of the telescope for the duration of the session.

60 inch at mount Wilson where Hubble hang out.  I viewed Saturn and that view cost me a lot - got into this hobby. They recently made his 100 inch available for viewing hopefully try it next summer.

• 1 month later...

Archived