SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Firework rant

michaelmorris

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We don't have this problem over here, they previously lopped the heads off the folk who were against parliament, but very considerately to Astonomers the commemorative celebrations take place in mid July when it is generally too light for any sensible observing or imaging sessions.

Maybe petition your local MP for an early day motion to get the date moved? ;)  (most MPs want to be remembered for something).

I hate the damned things.Exploding and flashing going on night after night. Way before, and way after the night they are supposed to celebrate.

I feel for he animals cowering in corners, terrified to death. I don't blame kids either, so called Adults are the biggest culprits.

It's one thing entertaining their children with fireworks, it's quite another going on for night after night, annoying the majority of folks.

I wonder how many casualties there are this year when the count is made.

Grump, Grump :grin:.

Ron.

All joking aside, I have two grandsons who would love lots of loud bangs and flashes.

But when they see that dog on the left of this message panting, pacing, shivering, trembling uncontrollably and trying to hide under anything she can find, they know the right thing to do.

And as Ron points out this goes on for about a fortnight.

Have fun, of course - but in the right place, at the right time and in the right way.

No grump or rant. No bah humbug. Just a few facts.

Need to go - radio's on loud to try and mask the noise but she's scratching at the floor trying to get under the bed now ...

As a small child, my brother and I weren't allowed fireworks. We watched the neighbours going off from our bedroom windows.

These days, I find it strange that every November 5th, aren't we commerating what was essentially an act of terroism? Yes, I know that with the 'Guy' burning on the bonfire, it's the terrorist suffering, but still!

Around here, we can hear them start up nearly a month ahead of Nov 5th, and for days after it. I think individuals being sold them should be banned, and if we MUST have shows, then public displays are the way to go. More controlled, and no little naffs/neds/etc terrosising everyone else over a period of a month or so! (And don't get me started on corner shops who used to sell them to underage kids. Heck, nowadays, even ASDA sells the damn things!)

This rant over as well! :)

Was at Tescos last night and some muppet let off a firework in the carpark. Disturbed about a hundred birds (starlings?) roosting in a tree in a scene reminiscent of a horror film. Hope they were OK, birds don't see well in the dark and are prone to fly into things when startled.

The kid in me likes fireworks but it really shouldn't be a two week event...

The Diwali fireworks were more like I remember from bonfire nights years ago, one big splash, and that's it. There's quite a large Indian community around here, and over the border in South Harrow so it was quite intense.

Dragging Bonfire Night over the two nearest weekends or more is just stupid, but when did that ever stop anyone  :mad: .

Round here the bonfire societies keep the fireworks season going for nearly three months and I have not the slightest objection. I can hardly expect anyone to listen to my whinges and comments about darks skies and the needs of my pastimes if I then complain about someone else's pastimes.

Rather than move Nov 5 to July as suggested above, we could imbue the celebration with some ancient mysticism and decide it must occur at the full moon, which would be acceptable for most astronomers.

Failing that, we could use it to celebrate Waterloo which seems to lack an appropriate festival - this would be close to the longest day of course and again acceptable to astronomers. Might annoy some of our European cousins though.

Chris

1) The firework 'season' always extends far on either side of the 5th, regardless of any other celebration coinciding around that date. It is worse when the 5th falls mid-week.

2) Discharging fireworks can not be described as a 'pastime', in our normal understanding of the word.

3) Breach of the peace is an offence and It is self evident that mindless blasts of noise are a breach of the peace.

However, I much prefer to discuss my hobby, learn more about it and, generally, join in with any banter and fun on SGL.

Over and out.

Round here the bonfire societies keep the fireworks season going for nearly three months and I have not the slightest objection. I can hardly expect anyone to listen to my whinges and comments about darks skies and the needs of my pastimes if I then complain about someone else's pastimes.

Your "pastime" isn't disturbing anybody, theirs is. Comments like this make me despair...it really does.

i'm in favour of banning them. i'm not usually in favour of banning things but the increase in fire engines and the number of extra ambulances i hear at this time of year ( i work near a hospital) convinces me that explosives shouldn't be left in the hands of drunks it's too dangerous how do I know they're drunk? "I hear you say" the answer is i don't. it's just that most of the ones going off round here seem to start at 11pm 

There seems to be little or no control over fireworks here and the Bulgarian seem to love sending money up in smoke which seems odd as they never seem to have that much. Of course there is no 5th of November but the go nuts at New Year and other public holidays.

Alan.

Makes me wonder how much they care about the animals here.

When it comes to money making schemes, I'm afraid the welfare of any creature becomes of no concern to money grabbers.

Be they the Fireworks vendors, or those organising festivals, with all the offshoots that has for making more money for them.

The only display I enjoy, is the New Year one on the Thames in London. I enjoy watching it on Television each year, along with the thousands actually there.

One year I might go and watch it live, but TV gives a good view of it all. Very professionally organised too.

Ron.

I think the difference is your hobby doesn't disturb people and animals over a two-week (or more) period. Or at least I hope it doesn't. ;) Around here we always seem to have a couple of heart-attack moments where some muppet lets one off in the middle of the night....

5th November is one of our rituals, I wouldn't ban it, but if it could be restricted to one or even two weekends that would be better for a lot of people.

Archived